Thyroid Panel During Pregnancy Accurate? Hyperstimulation?

RealNeat

Wife has been pregnant for about a month. I know the thyroid can be hyperstimulated during pregnancy and I'm wondering if that's because of colloids being liberated from a goiter (because of increased progesterone?) I never noticed a goiter on her but she has the lines on her neck above and below the thyroid that many women have. Currently it seems mildly puffed out at times and she mentions a full feeling in her throat with mild daily nausea.

Reading Broda Barnes book he talks about a woman who only got checked at the end of her pregnancy and it was too late to reverse at that point (resulting in convulsions + c section but baby and mom were "ok") and he recommends thyroid check at the very beginning of pregnancy to prevent such things.

Should I order a thyroid panel from life extension or will the TSA look abnormally low due to temporary stimulation? Is it safe to start small doses of T3? Its all I have and don't want to wait for the delivery of Mexican pharmaceuticals.

Any advice/ resources welcome.

Im not saying this article is accurate but it sums up some info I'm wondering about. Hyperthyroidism in Pregnancy | American Thyroid Association

yerrag

I get where you're coming from but I have to ask. First, was your wife hypothyroid going into her pregnancy? Secondly, aren't those lines above and below the thyroid you speak of, aren't they lines that develop from losing weight from overweight/obese to normal/underweight?

On the first point, my understanding is that a person who is hypothyroid shouldn't go directly into taking progesterone without first taking thyroid in small quantities for a few weeks before taking progesterone. As per Ray from his earlier writings. Not doing so risks going into an initial hyperthyroid like condition from as you say, the colloids in the gland suddenly giving way to turning into T4 and being released.

Hope your wife is doing well. I suppose to mitigate the effects she should avoid taking vitamin E as that is anti-estrogenic and helps with thyroid production, and taking something anti-thyroid like cabbage would help.

Peatful

Congratulations on the pregnancy to both of you.

Your suspicion of the progesterone rising effects is valid imo.

Hyperthyroidism is just a pre-warning to hypo entering in.

Estrogen rises throughout her pregnancy.
It will peak in the third trimester.

To me:
Having a TRUSTED obgyn read her first trimester lab work isn’t a bad idea.
Plus you guys will have the baseline moving forward.
He can write an rx as needed in the future ; but won’t be of much use from there in most cases.

Here’s the big idea from me:
Is she nourished?

Is she stressed?

Is she rested?

She must be nourished- which will in turn:
1) feed her and the baby
2) feed her thyroid ; in sync with settling her adrenals down

Im not going to recommend progesterone for support.
Others may.
But sunshine is the best supplement if she can tolerate it-
But remember, being in the sun requires energy- therefore being nourished is the utmost importance.
The sun is a good thyroid surrogate.

First day of back to school here. Gotta run but i will check in later.

Edited: for clarity

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I agree with @Peatful. Focusing on nutrition, keeping stress to a minimum, getting adequate rest and time in nature seems the safest place to start. There are numerous changes during pregnancy that can feel strange and worrisome but are completely normal and transitory. If you introduce external hormones you could end up disrupting things that are better left alone.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I get where you're coming from but I have to ask. First, was your wife hypothyroid going into her pregnancy? Secondly, aren't those lines above and below the thyroid you speak of, aren't they lines that develop from losing weight from overweight/obese to normal/underweight?

On the first point, my understanding is that a person who is hypothyroid shouldn't go directly into taking progesterone without first taking thyroid in small quantities for a few weeks before taking progesterone. As per Ray from his earlier writings. Not doing so risks going into an initial hyperthyroid like condition from as you say, the colloids in the gland suddenly giving way to turning into T4 and being released.

Hope your wife is doing well. I suppose to mitigate the effects she should avoid taking vitamin E as that is anti-estrogenic and helps with thyroid production, and taking something anti-thyroid like cabbage would help.
She had lower temps, but nothing of major concern, eyebrows fine, no visible swelling, she was never fat pretty average BMI, she did consume quite a bit of PUFA when younger. She became stronger and more well nourished through the years. So I think she had/ has a very mild thyroid deficiency, I'm just making sure with the stress of pregnancy it's not becoming something more.

I'm not giving her progesterone, I'm just referring to the natural increase during pregnancy.

Ray has mentioned that the temporary hyperthyroidism should still be considered "hypo" (like in his younger instance) because he sees thyroid as a regulator as opposed to a stimulator. It makes me wonder what the right approach is.

Thank you for your kind words.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Congratulations on the pregnancy to both of you.

Your suspicion of the progesterone rising effects is valid imo.

Hyperthyroidism is just a pre-warning to hypo entering in.

Estrogen rises throughout her pregnancy.
It will peak in the third trimester.

To me:
Having a TRUSTED obgyn read her first trimester lab work isn’t a bad idea.
Plus you guys will have the baseline moving forward.
He can write an rx as needed in the future ; but won’t be of much use from there in most cases.

Here’s the big idea from me:
Is she nourished?

Is she stressed?

Is she rested?

She must be nourished- which will in turn:
1) feed her and the baby
2) feed her thyroid ; in sync with settling her adrenals down

Im not going to recommend progesterone for support.
Others may.
But sunshine is the best supplement if she can tolerate it-
But remember, being in the sun requires energy- therefore being nourished is the utmost importance.
The sun is a good thyroid surrogate.

First day of back to school here. Gotta run but i will check in later.

Edited: for clarity
Great advice thanks! yeah a trusted obgyn... I wish that was an easy task hah will they try and take control of the whole process I wonder?

I think we are doing pretty good, stress and nutrition wise, trying to get the last drops of high UV sunshine in before fall. I try and make sure to load her up with real food nutrients whenever I can/ she can.

What's the significance of the estrogen bit? Do you mean it will possibly make her more hypo later on (my concern)?

@Blossom thank you, I've gone back and forth on giving her progesterone during pregnancy, I might do an as needed type thing, I like respecting the natural levels but I know Ray has talked favorably about it and I don't want estrogen dominance to set in, miscarriage risk. So intuition it is I guess.

Peatful

What's the significance of the estrogen bit? Do you mean it will possibly make her more hypo later on (my concern)?
Correct.
Estrogen competes for the same thyroid receptor iirc.
It could possibly move her into hypothyroidism- albeit temporary or longer term.

Good to keep an eye on.
Especially if she is nursing and depleted after delivery.

But as Blossom said-
The body will bounce back if stress is low and she is nourished.

Enjoy this time!
Pregnancy is a miraculous thing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals