Antibiotics during pregnancy?

dd99

Hi all, my wife's second pregnancy has been cruising along well. She's about 10 weeks pregnant now, eating quite Peatish, apart from sourdough bread.

She got a letter today from her doctor saying she had streptococcus group B in her urine, so had to take a course of penicillin now to clear it up (and prevent a possible UTI) and then an IV drip with antibiotics during labour. Does anyone have any experience with or know anything about GBS (strep group B)?

I would really appreciate any advice. I'm quite worried about the impact of antibiotics during pregnancy, especially during the first trimester, and on my wife's gut health. Could it even be a beneficial thing, rebalancing her estrogen and progesterone ratio? Are there any risks of genetic abnormalities caused by penicillin?

Thanks for your help.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It's part of the normal flora in the vagina and rectum in 25% of women and usually causes no problem to the mother but if the baby picks it up during childbirth it can lead to sepsis or lung infections (other things too that I can't remember) in the baby. That's why they want to decrease the number of bacteria now and also before she delivers.
I'm just going off memory from working in a neonatal ICU years ago. Your wife will have a much better chance tolerating the antibiotics than your newborn baby would if he/she were infected. This is just the little bit I know from the medical perspective. Hopefully others will add additional information.

OP
dd99

dd99

Blossom said:
Your wife will have a much better chance tolerating the antibiotics than your newborn baby would if he/she were infected.
Thanks, Blossom, this puts it into perspective for me.

OP
dd99

dd99

We've just had an update from the midwife. Despite the fact that my wife isn't testing positive for Group B Strep anymore, they will still give her antibiotics during labour. If she doesn't get 4 hours' worth of antibiotics into her before baby is delivered, then baby will also get antibiotics. If she takes longer than 4 hours to deliver, then baby will be observed and only given antibiotics if infected with GBS.

I'm concerned about the impact of antibiotics on our baby. I know it's better than him/her contracting meningitis or pneumonia from GBS. But, what are the long term impacts on gut health? Is it such a big deal, in the context of a Peatish clean gut? My wife will breastfeed for about 12 months, so would that repair any 'damage'?