Quick Question On Over The Counter Thyroid Versus Prescription Thyroid

jzeno

I don't take any Thyroid supplements at the moment but I had a general question which I wanted to confirm with you all.

On Amazon you can buy Over the Counter (OTC) Bovine Thyroid supplements without a prescription: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L7T61U/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This LiveStrong article states the difference is that with OTC supps, the product is not regulated so you don't know if you are getting T3 or T4 or in what amounts and with prescription supps the product is strictly regulated to provide a certain amount of T3, T4 or both: Bovine vs. Herbal Thyroid Supplements | Livestrong.com

Does that about summarize your experience with thyroid supplements as well, too?

Thanks for sharing

Cgj1

I tried thyrovanz 300mg and I didn't notice much effects compared with cynomel. I've since ordered Tr Tman (NDT) from Thailand and Ill see how that goes.

I've had better success with either IdeaLabDC's Tyromax or right now, Tyronene from them (T3) and T4 from Blue Sky Peptide.

lampofred

Why not just get Cynoplus since it is Peat recommended? Can PM a link if you need

TeaRex14

I don't take any Thyroid supplements at the moment but I had a general question which I wanted to confirm with you all.

On Amazon you can buy Over the Counter (OTC) Bovine Thyroid supplements without a prescription: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L7T61U/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This LiveStrong article states the difference is that with OTC supps, the product is not regulated so you don't know if you are getting T3 or T4 or in what amounts and with prescription supps the product is strictly regulated to provide a certain amount of T3, T4 or both: Bovine vs. Herbal Thyroid Supplements | Livestrong.com

Does that about summarize your experience with thyroid supplements as well, too?

Thanks for sharing
I think there might be some confusion on behalf of NDT and desiccated glandular. NDT, like Armor, TyroMax, Thyroid-S, etc. are concentrated natural desiccated thyroid. The strength and consistency of such products is typically always to be expected. Desiccated glandulars, which are typically capsules with freeze dried thyroid tissue in them, are less likely to be 100% consistent 100% of the time. This doesn't mean they don't work, but you may find with one batch you only need two capsules, and a different batch you may need 3 or 4 capsules. Because it's actual bovine tissue you're consuming, it can never be 100% consistent.

Douglas Ek

In a natural desicated thyroid supplement i cant imagine that the producers actually measure the amount of hormones you get in your system so theres no garantue of potency. NDT might give a subtle boost in thyroid production if you’re sensitive. Prescription T4 is an actual medicine to treat a so called disease and has to work the same way every dose. Its like comparing eating a smal amount of liver in a capsule for the sake of retinol content compared to a 10k IU retinol supplement that you know will deliver that exact dose. Dunno even how specific the concentrated gland supps are but probably more so then just pieces of the gland. Levothyroxin is synthetic which means its not natural and they can produce as much as they want in a lab. Harder to grow and slaughter cows and take their thyroid measure out exact dosages.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

@TeaRex14
@Douglas Ek

Gotcha. Just as I was suspecting, then. The prescription drug is produced to contain specific amounts of T3, T4, or borth (whichever it is) and the over-the-counter thyroid gland product is likely to have thyroid and possibly T3 and T4, but because it is not regulated as a prescription, we do not know how much of T3, T4, or both is in the product or if it really has any at all or if it consistently delivers the same amount.

I wasn't aware of why one would be prescribed and one wouldn't, but the explanation provided makes sense. I got it.

Thank you everyone.

Elize

Hi. Have you tried ThyroGold? OTC Bovine product. It contains no iodine though.

On Amazon you can buy Over the Counter (OTC) Bovine Thyroid supplements without a prescription: Amazon product ASIN B006L7T61UView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L7T61U/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for sharing
Honestly, if I could go back in time I would not start taking Thyroid. As I see it now, I needed to change my lifestyle not start taking medicine. Unless your thyroid is removed I would do anything you can to get your own gland up and working. But it means you have to be honest with yourself about what you might need to change. For me I was chronically undereating and living in a constant state of stress. I needed to care for myself and resolve my personal issues with perfectionism and anxiety. It seems like Josh and Jeanie Rubin from East West Healing are pretty good at helping people with restoring Thyroid without meds.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals