thyroid log - ratio worries

OP
SQu

SQu

from your info mittir - RP says stress hormones raise rT3 and T3 alone seldom enough to normalize stress hormones, diet necessary. Mentions calcium, milk ,salt ,oj ,vit d. I'm getting all of that but blood tests showed low vit d in spite of plenty of sunlight. Loath to add supps but maybe that one would help. Or bullet to brain. Joking!not THAT depressed. Frustrated, yes.

OP
SQu

SQu

sleep ok last night, bit puffy this morning but this is day 20 on my cycle and I do have some estrogen signs reappearing like the puffiness and slightly sore breasts. i'll have to get more salt, use more progresterone today.

Mittir

sueq said:
Mentions calcium, milk ,salt ,oj ,vit d. I'm getting all of that but blood tests showed low vit d in spite of plenty of sunlight. Loath to add supps but maybe that one would help.

It seems like there are many factors( air pollutions , angle of the sunlight, seasons, clothings etc)
that can lower the amount of vitamin D from sunlight. I do not like supplementing everyday.
I was using Carlson's vitamin D3 on skin for a while. I did not like the that stuff once
i poured it out of capsule. Then i started using a dosing method ( i got it from a vitamin D
study) where single 200,000 IU dose once a month for first two month. Then 100,000 IU
single dose every month, which is equivalent to 3,333 IU daily.You can also use
a 50,000 IU single dose, that is about 1,700 IU daily . In that study this regimen
increased vitamin D level from 29 ng/mL to about 50 ng/mL. It is a 18 month study.
I am using a French D3 supplement , that comes in ampoule. Most of the excipients are fine,
I got a mild reaction for 2-3 hours. It happened few times, not always.
I think it works wonder. I can see increase in warmth for 4-5 days following the dose.
RP did not say anything about single dose.It is just my experience based on
this study and other sources. Half life of vitamin D is 2 month, so a monthly dose
should not cause sharp ups and down in D level.
http://media.jamanetwork.com/news-item/ ... -of-colds/

OP
SQu

SQu

That's interesting, thanks. I seem to remember that some people are low in vitamin d due to some health issue, perhaps it's hypothyroid. In this climate it shouldn't happen, we're just south of the tropics so angle of sun good, and sunny weather in all seasons, and just had summer. I'm fair skinned so sun burn is usually more of an issue. I'm going to make a mental note of this and that dosing idea.

OP
SQu

SQu

Day 7 on approximately 2.5 - 5 mcg T3 a day divided into two doses usually, but yesterday I took at lunchtime too. ( clarification - that meant I had more than 5 for the day - perhaps as much as max 7.5) and mood in particular was distinctly better in the afternoon. Other indicators not much difference -pulse, temp -but energy good, constant.
I think I'm adapting now and blood sugar better, but I'm also having more sugar and less gelatin. I did feel a difference after 2 cups chicken broth with 1.5 tsps in total of salt. A very slow cooked chicken gives a great broth and the neck was there too.
So today depending on how I feel I may have the lunchtime dose again. Seems with adapting comes need for rise in dose.
It's 30 mins since morning dose of 2.5 and feeling warmer.
Another thing to note was definite spike in estrogen as party of this introduction process - puffy, sore breasts, serotonin signs. At bedtime last night I decided I'd had it with going gently with estrogen and took 2 cypro and 2 aspirin then during the night another 3. Aspirin. Sleep no better than usual but it did unblock my nose and I'm less puffy this morning which is day 21 of cycle.

OP
SQu

SQu

would a week on T 3 only be too short a time to decide that I do also need some T4? Energy is just too unstable still, I ate about 30 sugar lumps as emergency energy boost this afternoon and had coffee too and only had minutes of relief - mostly still struggled with adrenalin.
So far thyroid has been making things worse not better unfortunately.

J

j.

sueq said:
from your info mittir - RP says stress hormones raise rT3 and T3 alone seldom enough to normalize stress hormones, diet necessary. Mentions calcium, milk ,salt ,oj ,vit d. I'm getting all of that but blood tests showed low vit d in spite of plenty of sunlight. Loath to add supps but maybe that one would help. Or bullet to brain. Joking!not THAT depressed. Frustrated, yes.

There is a theory that low vitamin D can be a consequence, not a cause, of some diseases, such as autoimmunity, and that adding more makes things worse.

So it's not always a good idea to supplement with vitamin D, although I'm sure it is good in some situations.

J

j.

Do you consume 80 grams of protein from dairy, eggs, or potatoes?

OP
SQu

SQu

Normally about 100 - today 98 so far and will still have some milk. Sources - eggs dairy and some meat . Today the meat was 50g chicken liver.

OP
SQu

SQu

Again, I speak loosely. When I say adrenalin, I mean the feeling of adrenalin and energy crash - shaky weak and poor mood, irritable and not coping, but my pulse is 84 so it's a feeling only. I was calling it blood sugar drop but again that's probably not really what's happening. This feeling I've lived with for years - no energy, can't think straight. This feeling is why I'm taking thyroid in the first place.

J

j.

sueq said:
I'm getting all of that but blood tests showed low vit d in spite of plenty of sunlight.

I have a thought -this is just speculation, don't take it as advice-. Maybe the body wants to decrease vitamin D because it's too high in relation to vitamin A. So maybe the key to increase vitamin D generated from sunlight, in some situations, is to take vitamin A, so that an increase in vitamin D from sunlight wouldn't result in a high vitamin D/vitamin A ratio.

Vitamins A and D need to have a certain balance.

OP
SQu

SQu

Thanks for the thoughts j. I've started walking again in large part to make sure i get that vitamin d. I have 2 eggs most days and weekly liver ( usually it's chicken liver). I hope that's enough vit a. I'm conflicted about taking d. I'm going to look into it again.
So far t3 has raised estrogen and unstable energy tendencies and last night was a low point. I took 1/8 of the diotroxin combo which meant 11.5 mcg t4 and 1,25 mcg t3 at about 9 pm as was still feeling so rotten that I knew sleep would not come. It helped a little bit in terms of slightly quieting my symptoms of discomfort and being ' out of gas' which I know work against sleep.
Well I slept bit worse than usual - about a 3-4/10 on my personal sleep -meter. After my morning walk I feel very tired and low and nervous about taking thyroid at all ,so haven't yet.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Haidut's estro-ban a,d,e and k formula seemed to help me a lot. I was a bit surprised in all honesty with what a difference it made. It sounds like our eating of eggs and liver was about the same and I had been taking d and k before starting estro-ban. The only E I got was in Progest-e. I just thought I'd mention it in case it might help. I wouldn't hesitate to cut back a little or skip the thyroid for a day or two if you are having some stress that you think might be a result of increasing your dosage too quick.

OP
SQu

SQu

Thanks blossom. Feeling fractionally better after a bit of a combo last night ,I tried it again today and got considerable relief from a ratio of 11:3.7. In spite of that being a lot of T3. Had only slight shakiness and very much better mood. Will carry on in similar vein, hope it lasts.

OP
SQu

SQu

Today I took that same dose which is 11: 3.75. If I'm correct this is close to 3:1. Feeling good. Energy excellent and stable too. Pulse in 90s but feeling good not stress -y. The T4 will build up and maybe change things - and quickly too - but I will take that as it comes. Such a relief to feel good! Continue to get my vit d from daily walks and intend to keep that up.

OP
SQu

SQu

Third successful day on that combo except by evening it wore off. RP says mood is reliable indicator of how your thyroid supps are working and in my case it's very very true. So I got overwhelmed and exhausted after a busy day. T4 might have built up fast again as before - it was 4 days last time on 45 mcg of T4 per day. This time it's 3 days on only 11. Do I try and drop that amount further if possible ( such a tiny crumb to try and divide) while keeping T3 the same, or skip a day and risk instability with energy? Or tough it out if not too hypo? Will think about it and see tomorrow. Sleep was particularly bad last night. RP says thyroid is great for fixing sleep. Not so far! But it's still early days. So far it's been bumpy ride but pretty good progress all in all.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think the progress is what is really important. Isn't it so nice to be making progress, I know I'm grateful for it everyday.

OP
SQu

SQu

Update - so I halved the T4 again suspecting that my liver really can't handle much and that worked well. Been taking 5.5:3.1 for 13 days and while the good effects are subtle to imperceptible, the bad effects pretty well entirely stopped. That's about a 1.8:1 ratio and it's not surprising that I'd be on this end of the spectrum with my liver. Yesterday and today I've had slight blood sugar shakes and one possibility is that it's hard to be accurate when dividing such tiny fractions of a tablet - must look for pill cutter. I'm fairly confident though that I stay within that dose or no more than double. Quite soon I'd like to raise the dose to get more benefit but not sure how to, between two tight poles of jitters on the one hand when t3 goes up, and hypo on the other hand when t4 accumulates. Suspect that it's largely due to adjustment to thyroid and I should be patient.

OP
SQu

SQu

Day 17 on this combo - update. Feeling stable and fine, but the effect of better energy and mood wears off by midday. I'm considering doubling the dose by taking it again, at lunchtime, after either 3 or 4 weeks have elapsed. I'm waiting because I seem to be doing reasonably well and to have hit a 'sweet spot' even though it does wear off by noon. I'm loath to throw out the balance, or to rush things, in case it's taken my body this long to adjust after what were clearly hypo/stress symptoms to begin with. And on tiny amounts.
Two things that happened recently that don't seem directly relevant to thyroid - firstly I upped pregnenolone to 90-120mg a day and it worked a treat for a day or two and then I came down with a 3 day migraine - I've been migraine free for 10 weeks. Plus constipation. Usual blood sugar measures like ice cream did not help. I'm fairly sure it was the pregnenolone and also that it was fillers/impurities because I've responded to pregnenolone in the past then stopped, and I think I hit some kind of tipping point where my liver couldn't deal with the load.
The other thing I've done is up salt, found the best way: adding 2 teaspoons to a big mug of broth. It really holds a lot without being unpalatable. I did this as I don't have much salt otherwise, and also because sugar does not seem to calm adrenalin too well with me. It's been working well and helping with swelling as one would expect. Also it's calming.
Now to look into pregnenolone without bad ingredients.
What do you think possesses companies to think that one can add something no person or animal ever eats or even encounters in nature, into a pill and it will not have bad consequences? "Oh look, this rock dust / space age lab ingredient does a great job of holding this pill together and making it shiny white, let's use it for pills that people swallow, thus bypassing the inconvenient 'yuck, this isn't food, spit it out quick' tastebud response! What a win!" I mean, logically does it make sense? Boy have we lost our way as a civilization.

HDD

I had some blood sugar issues when I took a time-released pregnenolone product at bedtime. I would have very noticeable hypoglycemia symptoms when I arose in the morning. Could this be a possibility with the migraines?

From a forum member a while ago- (I apologize for my inept posting abilities)

by kettlebell » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:39 am

"I agree - Pregnenolone is definitely a good supplement. I use it myself.

Although not likely, I think the possibility of pregnenolone being changed into an unwanted stress hormone is still possible. It would be under the circumstances when a person has still not corrected their blood sugar levels after taking it. Taking it with lots of sugar and then taking some good sugary food again an hour or two later would easily stop the potential issue though."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals