The Problem Of Thyroid Decompensation When Supplementing

OP
MyUsernameHere
Several days in, I feel like a walking grave.

Serious brain fog today. Energy = zero, pulse back down to 55. Despite taking 75 mcg T4 before bedtime and 20 mcg of T3 throughout the day I no longer feel either of those. I hate this so much, I wish my thyroid would just do the job it's supposed to.

Going to start a low/barely-any fat diet tommorow, hoping to do this PUFA depletion thing.

UPDATE: I've been reading some of Steve Richfield's material.
When I had this episode of brain fog, I took my oral temperature reading. It was 35.9 °c the first time and 36.0°c the second time (~96.8 ° F). I remember that I used to associate this damned brain fog with low temperatures before.
When I took T3 the other day and felt great, my underarm temperature was 36.6° c so my oral was probably at least 37°c (98.6 ° F).

I did the 'shower test' that Richfield proposes just now.

Just climb into a long hot shower with your thermometer in your mouth, and answer two questions:
How do you feel at 98.6oF=37oC? You will either feel great (indicating inability), or hot (indicating unwillingness).
How high can you push your body temperature before you start feeling sick? This will either be 98.something=~37oC (indicating unwillingness), or 100.something=~38oC (indicating inability).

Damn near scorched my skin off, but I managed to get my body temperature up to a max 37.2°c (98.96°F).

By the time I reached 37.0°c (98.6°F) I had sweat running down my forehead, my heart rate was increased, I was breathing faster and heavier and had a general sense of unease. I certainly didn't feel 'great' and it seemed my body was actively fighting what should be a normal body temperature.

Based on this, it is certainly possible that my metabolic set point has been screwed up and perhaps my body has also down-regulated my thyroid to maintain a lower body temperature (I have a history of alternate day fasting and low calorie dieting). Perhaps I should attempt a 'temperature reset' as per Richfield. I'm going to be looking into this over the next few days and preparing what I need. I am not sure if I should be on thyroid hormones while I attempt this, or not.

Last edited:

Makrosky

Definitely could be. Theoretically, as your metabolism raises to account for all these nutrients, those detox systems should raise too. But you get into pragmatic challenges, like maybe you are in a meeting and can't get to the restroom which slows the whole thing down. I have some experiments with carb loading and it's not like pouring gasoline on a fire. Your body has a hard stop where more carbs just don't continue to get burned. The body to car analogy breaks down because in a car you can just keep putting more fuel in and you know the exact mechanics that break down over time (oil, trans fluid, etc).
Hey mate,

The idea that upping the metabolism improves all detox organs should have part of truth. But the body is not that simple. There are so many metabolic pathways that can go wrong... Genetic mutations, proteonuria, liver stones, gallbladder stones, energetic blockages on liver, massive estressors outside, mental problems, whatever. I don't know.

Think like that : If it was so simple, everybody would take synthetic thyroid, OJ and milk and liverwurst and cure all the problems??? No way. Why that approach doesn't work ? I think because of what I said. There are "blockages" that even if you press the gas pedal, they are going to pull the brakes. As you said, it is more like going step by step trying to figure out

No ?

Makrosky

Several days in, I feel like a walking grave.

Serious brain fog today. Energy = zero, pulse back down to 55. Despite taking 75 mcg T4 before bedtime and 20 mcg of T3 throughout the day I no longer feel either of those. I hate this so much, I wish my thyroid would just do the job it's supposed to.

Going to start a low/barely-any fat diet tommorow, hoping to do this PUFA depletion thing.

UPDATE: I've been reading some of Steve Richfield's material.
When I had this episode of brain fog, I took my oral temperature reading. It was 35.9 °c the first time and 36.0°c the second time (~96.8 ° F). I remember that I used to associate this damned brain fog with low temperatures before.
When I took T3 the other day and felt great, my underarm temperature was 36.6° c so my oral was probably at least 37°c (98.6 ° F).

I did the 'shower test' that Richfield proposes just now.

Damn near scorched my skin off, but I managed to get my body temperature up to a max 37.2°c (98.96°F).

By the time I reached 37.0°c (98.6°F) I had sweat running down my forehead, my heart rate was increased, I was breathing faster and heavier and had a general sense of unease. I certainly didn't feel 'great' and it seemed my body was actively fighting what should be a normal body temperature.

Based on this, it is certainly possible that my metabolic set point has been screwed up and perhaps my body has also down-regulated my thyroid to maintain a lower body temperature (I have a history of alternate day fasting and low calorie dieting). Perhaps I should attempt a 'temperature reset' as per Richfield. I'm going to be looking into this over the next few days and preparing what I need. I am not sure if I should be on thyroid hormones while I attempt this, or not.

Please remember the temperature follows a natural cycle rising in the morning and falling down at night. So make sure you get your temps at the right time.

Tarmander

Hey mate,

The idea that upping the metabolism improves all detox organs should have part of truth. But the body is not that simple. There are so many metabolic pathways that can go wrong... Genetic mutations, proteonuria, liver stones, gallbladder stones, energetic blockages on liver, massive estressors outside, mental problems, whatever. I don't know.

Think like that : If it was so simple, everybody would take synthetic thyroid, OJ and milk and liverwurst and cure all the problems??? No way. Why that approach doesn't work ? I think because of what I said. There are "blockages" that even if you press the gas pedal, they are going to pull the brakes. As you said, it is more like going step by step trying to figure out

No ?

Yeah, it definitely is not simple. You cannot just take all the thyroid in the world and now you're healthy, like you said. Identifying where the "blockage" is, is the tough part. It could be in one of those detox systems, but it is very hard to tell.

L

lollipop

Yeah, it definitely is not simple. You cannot just take all the thyroid in the world and now you're healthy, like you said. Identifying where the "blockage" is, is the tough part. It could be in one of those detox systems, but it is very hard to tell.
Actually I see this mistake in people often, the idea that one action or one pill will heal or create wellness in their human expression. We are complex dynamic symbiotic open systems that are continuously adapting, adjusting, shifting. A multifaceted approach to wellness including mind, biochemistry, emotional, inner self, biological solutions are all called upon in balanced, energy generative wellness. @Tarmander I think you have done a good job at emphasizing this across this forum.

Tarmander

Actually I see this mistake in people often, the idea that one action or one pill will heal or create wellness in their human expression. We are complex dynamic symbiotic open systems that are continuously adapting, adjusting, shifting. A multifaceted approach to wellness including mind, biochemistry, emotional, inner self, biological solutions are all called upon in balanced, energy generative wellness. @Tarmander I think you have done a good job at emphasizing this across this forum.

Thanks Lisa, that's a very nice compliment, I appreciate it. I have observed that part of the healing process is waking up to our own actions, and how they are affecting our health. Many people who come here have very little awareness of their lives, so when something goes wrong, they see it as an isolated incident. An isolated incident has one root cause, so they think one pill will reverse this and they can go back to their life as normal. I think that is what is happening, but I could be wrong. What do you think? You have some experience actually dealing with patients in some respects right?

L

lollipop

Thanks Lisa, that's a very nice compliment, I appreciate it. I have observed that part of the healing process is waking up to our own actions, and how they are affecting our health. Many people who come here have very little awareness of their lives, so when something goes wrong, they see it as an isolated incident. An isolated incident has one root cause, so they think one pill will reverse this and they can go back to their life as normal. I think that is what is happening, but I could be wrong. What do you think? You have some experience actually dealing with patients in some respects right?
I do @Tarmander and I think you are correct. Awareness is key. Awareness of ourselves and of the intricacies involved in human life.