Thyroid and whiskey

bornamachine

Hey,
Short story short. Tried whiskey to combat low T symptoms. Bought 200ml. Took a cap full about 5ml per cap before bed. Increased dosage over next couple days from 1.5 to 2 caps. Instant effect is hands and feet feel really warm and a sense of well being. Couple days into it and started to feel really good during day, very well, no sugar crashes, on all day no issues in anything really. 5 days in or so 3 cap fulls approx 15ml, next day felt a bit off and t slight thyroid pain, yesterday cut back to 1.5 cap fulls woke up with thyroid pain feels swollen a bit and constant mucus draining from lungs. Need help deciphering this from smart person. On paper my thyroid is top notch but it's jacked up, 35yo with mpb (pretty severe) any time I try something that makes me feel well wholesome it always privets back to thyroid hurting ande going back to square one with either a hard or soft landing. This time cutting back def made me feel better without any negative side so far. Still stable unlike before, no crazy food cravings etc etc, still very well just slight thyroid discomfort and mucus draining. Would like some help figuring this out once and for all. I take no other vitamins/drugs

Hey,
Short story short. Tried whiskey to combat low T symptoms. Bought 200ml. Took a cap full about 5ml per cap before bed. Increased dosage over next couple days from 1.5 to 2 caps. Instant effect is hands and feet feel really warm and a sense of well being. Couple days into it and started to feel really good during day, very well, no sugar crashes, on all day no issues in anything really. 5 days in or so 3 cap fulls approx 15ml, next day felt a bit off and t slight thyroid pain, yesterday cut back to 1.5 cap fulls woke up with thyroid pain feels swollen a bit and constant mucus draining from lungs. Need help deciphering this from smart person. On paper my thyroid is top notch but it's jacked up, 35yo with mpb (pretty severe) any time I try something that makes me feel well wholesome it always privets back to thyroid hurting ande going back to square one with either a hard or soft landing. This time cutting back def made me feel better without any negative side so far. Still stable unlike before, no crazy food cravings etc etc, still very well just slight thyroid discomfort and mucus draining. Would like some help figuring this out once and for all. I take no other vitamins/drugs
Switch to tequila. Ray says as little as a teaspoon can be beneficial. The high end white is much better on the liver, no cheap stuff. Dark liquor is unfiltered, and has a hundred times more toxins than the clear stuff.

CreakyJoints

Switch to tequila. Ray says as little as a teaspoon can be beneficial. The high end white is much better on the liver, no cheap stuff. Dark liquor is unfiltered, and has a hundred times more toxins than the clear stuff.

Are you thinking of the following exchange? I just wanted to clarify because I'm not sure I remember him saying anything specific about tequila anywhere else.

---

From the interview:

PT: Dr. Ray Peat is with us, January 20th, Patrick Timpone. Kate writes in: "I've read where people that consume just a little bit of alcohol per day are actually longer lived than people that don't consume any. What does Dr. Peat think about just a little bit of wine, or...?"

RP: Yeah, in some physics labs they've found that ethanol at a very small amount is a very powerful antioxidant, and in some biological experiments they've found that age pigment was regressed from brain cells with vitamin E, [...] the vitamin E contained ethanol and as a control they did just ethanol and found that it [also] regressed the age pigment - but the amount it takes to do that is on the order of maybe a teaspoon full of alcohol a day. From 1-5cc of alcohol is enough for that antioxidant action.

PT: So maybe a teaspoon, or tablespoon, of whatever: agave tequila or something, could be beneficial?

RP: I think so, yeah.

---

I thought I remembered him speaking favourably about white rum before, but when I looked for the quotation again, the only thing I could find was Haidut was speaking favourably about it and the discussion was in the context of policosanol. I'm sure he's said something else on the subject but I can't quite find it again - if anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd be grateful if you could direct me to it.

Are you thinking of the following exchange? I just wanted to clarify because I'm not sure I remember him saying anything specific about tequila anywhere else.

---

From the interview:

PT: Dr. Ray Peat is with us, January 20th, Patrick Timpone. Kate writes in: "I've read where people that consume just a little bit of alcohol per day are actually longer lived than people that don't consume any. What does Dr. Peat think about just a little bit of wine, or...?"

RP: Yeah, in some physics labs they've found that ethanol at a very small amount is a very powerful antioxidant, and in some biological experiments they've found that age pigment was regressed from brain cells with vitamin E, [...] the vitamin E contained ethanol and as a control they did just ethanol and found that it [also] regressed the age pigment - but the amount it takes to do that is on the order of maybe a teaspoon full of alcohol a day. From 1-5cc of alcohol is enough for that antioxidant action.

PT: So maybe a teaspoon, or tablespoon, of whatever: agave tequila or something, could be beneficial?

RP: I think so, yeah.

---

I thought I remembered him speaking favourably about white rum before, but when I looked for the quotation again, the only thing I could find was Haidut was speaking favourably about it and the discussion was in the context of policosanol. I'm sure he's said something else on the subject but I can't quite find it again - if anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd be grateful if you could direct me to it.
I didn’t see it in that exact interview, but he said something of the same.m elsewhere, and I posted it awhile back. He also said that he enjoyed a little tequila when he was in Mexico. I haven’t heard him speak about any other alcohol, but this doesn’t mean he hasn’t, I just haven’t looked for info on that subject.

CreakyJoints

This might be the post I remembered.

@windinthepines do you mind clarifying if the post I've linked above here was entirely a reply from Dr. Peat, and if so would you mind posting the question?

CreakyJoints

I didn’t see it in that exact interview, but he said something of the same.m elsewhere, and I posted it awhile back. He also said that he enjoyed a little tequila when he was in Mexico. I haven’t heard him speak about any other alcohol, but this doesn’t mean he hasn’t, I just haven’t looked for info on that subject.

If you do happen to find it again, please let me know!

This was posted by another member….

“I wonder what alcohol would be the least estrogenic? Peat says that "small amounts of alcohol can have some good antioxidant effects, but beer, wine, and dark whiskey, etc., contain enough estrogen to be harmful.".”

I also recently started enjoying a little tequilla every evening. Which one do you drink? Patron is the best I can find here, but I actually don't have any idea whether it's really good since I've never been to Mexico to drink the real deal. I recently asked Peat about tequilla and he said this:

"It’s very pleasant, and might have small amounts of beneficial things from the maguey juice."
asked whether he had a favorite brand
"No, I like any that is slightly yellow."

CreakyJoints

This is closer to what I was hoping for, thank you! I was wondering whether it was something specific to tequila or just that tequila was less problematic than alternatives - maguey syrup seems to have some interesting compounds in it, I'll have to try and learn more about it. It's a real shame we can't ask that user for more clarification on their comment, though, it would have been nice to know the context.

This is closer to what I was hoping for, thank you! I was wondering whether it was something specific to tequila or just that tequila was less problematic than alternatives - maguey syrup seems to have some interesting compounds in it, I'll have to try and learn more about it. It's a real shame we can't ask that user for more clarification on their comment, though, it would have been nice to know the context.
It is not just Ray Peat that talks about tequila being superior to other alcohols, where health is concerned, there are lots of good info on the internet on the comparison, where health is concerned. I switched six or seven years ago to tequila, if I want a drink, and I feel a lot better for the switch. A lot of my friends have switched too, for the same reason.

OP
bornamachine

bornamachine

Thanks for the input everyone even though I don't think anything was addressed to me specifically.
My experiment went from Friday night to Thursday night, from about 1/2 table spoon to 3 table spoon and then back down to 1/2. It was a ramp up and ramp down. About half way through I started to go back down and experienced thyroid pain especially after the 3 table spoon dose. Some way some how my thyroid was brought back online in full effect and I felt normal again then it overworked itself then came the pain and the crash. I will look into the organic tequila once I decide to retry the experiment and maybe next time with small dose once or twice a week instead of daily ramp up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals