Same pattern of feeling benefits from thyroid for the first couple of days and then nothing?

Callmestar

I've tried quite a few different forms of thyroid replacement and with some of them I feel absolutely nothing. With others that contain T3, such as Cynoplus which i'm taking at the moment, I feel some positive effects for the first couple of days such as I feel warmer, more relaxed, sense of wellbeing, increase in appetite. Then by day 4 and onwards I'm back to feeling nothing/crap as I did before starting the medication.

My TSH was 8.6 on my most recent blood test, before starting Cynoplus. What would be a typical dosage for someone in this state? I'm male, 80kg.

First day, I took quarter tab of cynoplus in morning and then quarter in the afternoon, I felt ok but actually felt a bit wired and as though I was slightly hyper. By the evening I felt ok. Day two I did the same, I felt ok in the day, warmer, increased appetite, but I was struggling to sleep and felt buzzy/hyper when trying to sleep. I dropped down to just one quarter tab from day 3 and there were some very subtle positive effects but I didn't feel wired/hyper so I thought this is a reasonable dose. Day 4 onwards, I feel nothing, no increase in warmth, heart rate, increased appetite has mostly diminished. Day 5, day 6 the same, day 7 I feel as crap as ever, I wouldn't know i've taken any thyroid.

Should I up it back to half a tab a day? I tried increasing last time I was on after this same pattern happened and the increase did nothing for days, until out of nowhere I felt unbelievably hyperthyroid and was super wired and anxious. Like there was a build up and then it all hit me at once.

OP
C

Callmestar

Took half a Cynoplus this morning. I feel nothing whatsoever. Why would it be that half a tab on the first and second day make me clearly hyper and now a week on, it seems to have no effect?

rr1

I really suggest that you read some more resources on how to supplement thyroid. Broda Barnes book is a good start.

Things that ideally should be known before starting thyroid supplementation:
- T4 takes a while to build up. 2 weeks Ray Peat says. So whatever dose you choose, you need to stick to it for 2 weeks, before deciding to increase. Many start with a quarter of a cynoplus for 2 weeks, if there are no increase in temperature and pulse, increase to half a cynoplus for another 2 weeks. Most working up to 1 whole cynoplus tablet per day, but some need more.
- It's important to use a mg scale and make sure you aren't taking any more than 1/4 of a cynoplus tablet at once.

And Danny Roddy lists these as some common problems in peoples attempt to supplement thyroid:
  • A diet deficient in protein or B vitamins
  • A diet deficient in calcium and excessive in phosphate
  • A diet deficient in carbohydrate
  • A diet deficient in calories
  • Ruminant liver-avoidance
  • Oyster-avoidance
  • Infection, which is more common in hypothyroid people

Ray Peat has also said “When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium...” — Ray Peat

Please read more and make sure you are informed.

OP
C

Callmestar

I really suggest that you read some more resources on how to supplement thyroid. Broda Barnes book is a good start.

Things that ideally should be known before starting thyroid supplementation:
- T4 takes a while to build up. 2 weeks Ray Peat says. So whatever dose you choose, you need to stick to it for 2 weeks, before deciding to increase. Many start with a quarter of a cynoplus for 2 weeks, if there are no increase in temperature and pulse, increase to half a cynoplus for another 2 weeks. Most working up to 1 whole cynoplus tablet per day, but some need more.
- It's important to use a mg scale and make sure you aren't taking any more than 1/4 of a cynoplus tablet at once.

And Danny Roddy lists these as some common problems in peoples attempt to supplement thyroid:
  • A diet deficient in protein or B vitamins
  • A diet deficient in calcium and excessive in phosphate
  • A diet deficient in carbohydrate
  • A diet deficient in calories
  • Ruminant liver-avoidance
  • Oyster-avoidance
  • Infection, which is more common in hypothyroid people

Ray Peat has also said “When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium...” — Ray Peat

Please read more and make sure you are informed.

Thanks. Although I've red a lot and the logic of T4 building up in the system so waiting 2 weeks before increasing, seems to work in completely the opposite way for me. I spent a number of months on Cynoplus a year or so ago. I had some initial positive effects for a couple of days, then nothing. Stayed on quarter tab for a month, felt no improvement. Increased, to half a tab for a month, nothing. Kept increasing, and then got a point where one day I just started feeling very Hyperthyroid and wired. It was either hyper briefly or nothing.

I will carry on reading and the magnesium point I will take on board as I don't take much of that.

OP
C

Callmestar

Why not try just cynomel or t3 only?

I attend to, I just don't have any at the moment and have no doctor to prescribe it. I did try some T3 only a year or so ago but didn't find it helpful but perhaps I was dosing it incorrectly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals