Tallow for skincare?

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

mostlylurking

Thanks for the details. 6 months...so persistence matters, but that's still impressive.

I already eat 1-2 tbsp of 'regular' coconut oil and less than 5 grams of PUFA a day, but you've convinced me to try the hydrogenated stuff next.

Interesting. I'm eating carrots and cooked mushrooms daily, and tried diatomaceous earth briefly but it gave me headaches. Also LOTS of bone broth/oxtail. Anything else you recommend for gut health?
Mine healed after I started taking a high dose of thiamine hcl. Thiamine (and magnesium) heals the gut.

Regular coconut has PUFA in it. So does butter. It's everywhere....

mostlylurking

Thanks for the resource. Do you know of any organic hydrogenated coconut oils?
No. Ray talks about hydrogenated coconut oil. I remember he said that you should check the iodine content to determine the quality (if the hydrogenation is complete), but I don't remember the details.

Morgan

You seem pretty knowledgeable about skincare, so here's another, non-related question:

How to reduce/prevent fine lines?

Right now all I'm doing is tallow, niacinamide, and red light. Is there something more?
The policy is firstly do no harm, but attempting to undo mild scarring or to reduce the appearance of fine lines does require some stronger actives that either increase cell turnover or stimulate the production of collagen.

Niacinamide and red light are things that I regular incorporate into my skincare routine, on top of that I usually recommend some kind of chemical exfoliation from either salicylic acid(BHA) or glycolic(AHA). It's important not to over exfoliate as to not disrupt the skin barrier, or to regularly use a moisturizer that restores the protective skin barrier. Ingredients like niacinamide, urea, ceramides, humectants, and then a moisturizer like tallow if it works well for you; wearing sunscreen is essential if you are using exfoliation or something like retinol which can reduce fine lines by increasing skin cell turnover, and I recommend only zinc oxide sunscreens.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Mine healed after I started taking a high dose of thiamine hcl. Thiamine (and magnesium) heals the gut.

Regular coconut has PUFA in it. So does butter. It's everywhere....
Will have to look into that.

I also tried diatomaceous earth for cleansing the gut, but it seemed to give me headaches.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

The policy is firstly do no harm, but attempting to undo mild scarring or to reduce the appearance of fine lines does require some stronger actives that either increase cell turnover or stimulate the production of collagen.

Niacinamide and red light are things that I regular incorporate into my skincare routine, on top of that I usually recommend some kind of chemical exfoliation from either salicylic acid(BHA) or glycolic(AHA). It's important not to over exfoliate as to not disrupt the skin barrier, or to regularly use a moisturizer that restores the protective skin barrier. Ingredients like niacinamide, urea, ceramides, humectants, and then a moisturizer like tallow if it works well for you; wearing sunscreen is essential if you are using exfoliation or something like retinol which can reduce fine lines by increasing skin cell turnover, and I recommend only zinc oxide sunscreens.
Great. What do you think about the product "LUSH" by Forever Healthy Hair?

It's made of grass-fed tallow (though probably not from suet), pregnenolone, and a few other cool things. The creator must have some knowledge of Peat's work based on their writing.

golder

It's made of grass-fed tallow (though probably not from suet), pregnenolone, and a few other cool things. The creator must have some knowledge of Peat's work based on their writing.
Wow nice, there are so many great ingredients in loads of their skin care range. How did you find this? Has anyone tried them?
Only thing is there is squalene in one of the products and I remember reading a few anti-Peat tings about it, including Haidut retracting it from the Gonadin product for some reason?

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Wow nice, there are so many great ingredients in loads of their skin care range. How did you find this? Has anyone tried them?
Kind of forget how I found it tbh. I think I was researching pregnenolone and stumbled onto the site. They nearly quote Peat in some places, though they don't seem to actually cite him.

Haven't tried any of their stuff yet but might try soon!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Only thing is there is squalene in one of the products and I remember reading a few anti-Peat tings about it, including Haidut retracting it from the Gonadin product for some reason?
Sounds like you know more about this than I do. In my mind squalene = saturated = good, but wouldn't be surprised if things were more nuanced than that.

mostlylurking

mostlylurking

I'm eating carrots and cooked mushrooms daily, and tried diatomaceous earth briefly but it gave me headaches. Also LOTS of bone broth/oxtail. Anything else you recommend for gut health?
Thiamine and magnesium.

Morgan

It's a bit expensive, but overall a fairly good formulation that's probably worth a try. I would personally be a bit worried about how heavy it could be as a facial cream, but that is completely dependent on what percentage each ingredient is at, which is why I'd prefer to see a full ingredient list as in what you would see on the jar or packaging.

I really like blue tansy, it's one of the few fragrant extracts that my skin personally likes; a few others of note are chamomile, calendula, and frankincense. If I was formulating this I would probably replace the retinyl palmitate with an encapsulated retinol with ceramides, since retinol is one step closer to being utilized by the skin. On top of that I'd probably add a lipid soluble antioxidant like ubiquinone or tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate(vitamin c) to round it out as a good daily option that could be used with or without sunscreen.

The use of pregnenolone is really neat, I've never actually tried it topically on the face so I'm genuinely curious if I could notice anything after finishing a jar, or how that would compare to mixing small amounts of progest-e into a preexisting routine.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

It's a bit expensive, but overall a fairly good formulation that's probably worth a try. I would personally be a bit worried about how heavy it could be as a facial cream, but that is completely dependent on what percentage each ingredient is at, which is why I'd prefer to see a full ingredient list as in what you would see on the jar or packaging.

I really like blue tansy, it's one of the few fragrant extracts that my skin personally likes; a few others of note are chamomile, calendula, and frankincense. If I was formulating this I would probably replace the retinyl palmitate with an encapsulated retinol with ceramides, since retinol is one step closer to being utilized by the skin. On top of that I'd probably add a lipid soluble antioxidant like ubiquinone or tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate(vitamin c) to round it out as a good daily option that could be used with or without sunscreen.

The use of pregnenolone is really neat, I've never actually tried it topically on the face so I'm genuinely curious if I could notice anything after finishing a jar, or how that would compare to mixing small amounts of progest-e into a preexisting routine.
Thanks! Wow, you're pretty knowledgeable about this.

Any products you know of that include a lipid-soluble antioxidant like you mentioned?

Ynot

I've been using Paleo Skincare (paleoskincare.com.au) which seems good. I have only used the tallow products (creams, soaps - I've even used the liquid soap as shampoo) and rec'd a lip balm (beeswax) from them. A friend of mine who also ordered their products also recommends the emu oil moisturiser.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

I've been using Paleo Skincare (paleoskincare.com.au) which seems good. I have only used the tallow products (creams, soaps - I've even used the liquid soap as shampoo) and rec'd a lip balm (beeswax) from them. A friend of mine who also ordered their products also recommends the emu oil moisturiser.
Nice! Will check them out at some point, thanks for sharing. Did not like emu oil as much as tallow for some reason.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

I switched from regular coconut oil to hydrogenated coconut oil for my skin. The hydrogenated has ZERO pufa and my neck doesn't itch in the winter from being irritated anymore. Mixing half hydrogenated coconut oil with half pure lanolin makes the best ever hand cream for dry cracked skin.
Update:

Just got some pure lanolin and WOW - it's great stuff! Even better than tallow in my opinion. Thanks for the recommendation.

Been mixing it with MCT oil and CortiNon (DHEA/preg) and the result is a relatively inexpensive, awesome-feeling topical.

mostlylurking

Update:

Just got some pure lanolin and WOW - it's great stuff! Even better than tallow in my opinion. Thanks for the recommendation.

Been mixing it with MCT oil and CortiNon (DHEA/preg) and the result is a relatively inexpensive, awesome-feeling topical.
Great! Glad you gave it a try.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals