SURVIVAL - RECIPES & More…

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Someone gave me this salt cooking slab a couple of years ago and I am glad I hung on to it. What I like about it for survival purposes is that you don’t use water to clean it. The salt kills any bacteria, like salt curing meat. It seasons those little lizards and rodents without added salt :D

“How will the Himalayan salt slab affect different types of foods?

Foods placed on a Himalayan crystal salt slab take on a light, clean, naturally salty flavor while absorbing minerals necessary for good health and longevity. When placed on the Himalayan salt block for an extended period of time, thinly sliced fish such as salmon, tuna and whitefish will begin to cure from the salt, which acts as a preservative. Generally, a natural salt slab will add a hint of salty taste to moist or wet foods, but will have no effect on dry foods. For example, if you use your salt slab to serve cheese and crackers, it will lend a bit of saltiness to the cheese but the taste of the crackers will remain the same

How to cure foods using a Himalayan salt block:

Himalayan salt blocks can be used to cure thinly sliced meats, fish and seafood. Simply chill your natural salt slab in the refrigerator for several hours, then place thin strips of ahi tuna or beef carpaccio directly onto the salt slab and observe as the curing process slowly takes place. The irregular shades of pink and varying textures of this 100% pure wonder of nature make for intriguing conversation and an attractive, natural serving platter for all your favorite foods.“

“Himalayan Salt Block Cleaning & Care:
To clean your Himalayan salt block, wipe with a clean, damp cloth or paper towel and remove any remaining food bits. Avoid running your natural salt block under water or submerging in water, as any remaining moisture in the salt slab can cause breakage upon heating. Be sure to let your salt slab dry for at least 24 hours after exposure to any moisture. There is no need to use soap or detergent on your Himalayan salt slab, as it is naturally anti-fungal and anti-microbial. You may wish to freshen your salt block with a bit of lemon juice from time to time.

Note that the appearance of your Himalayan salt slab will change over time. The more varieties of foods you cook and serve on your salt plate, the more likely the surface will acquire various, interesting new colors and shades. This merely adds to the irregular beauty of the Himalayan salt slab. Your salt block may also develop small fissures and cracks over time; this is typical with regular use. When the salt block finally gets too small for cooking or serving on, it will be a perfect size to grate over your food, break up for making soup, or even to throw into your tub for a detoxifying salt bath.“

Attachments

• 279A6B5B-1890-4DA6-AA39-B2D3BDC53B46.jpeg
    279A6B5B-1890-4DA6-AA39-B2D3BDC53B46.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 6
OP
Rinse & rePeat
This was posted by David PS else where…

Attachments

• 5425BCE5-1F52-4350-9B3E-9F9B8A4283EC.png
    5425BCE5-1F52-4350-9B3E-9F9B8A4283EC.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am thinking stocking up on aluminum foil is a good idea for many reasons….

“It got some weird looks from passers-by, I’ll tell you. It’s not every day you see someone duct-taping foil to their house. But the judgement from strangers is nothing compared to the sweet feeling of a house that is roughly 20 degrees cooler than the outside world.

While my area managed to reach temperatures as high as 98 degrees, the rooms downstairs have stayed below 77 degrees. Upstairs has fluctuated a bit more, especially on day two of the heatwave. Last night was around 10 or 11 degrees warmer than normal, and that meant the house wasn’t able to cool down very much — even with the windows open.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I just bought a ton of toilet paper, paper towels and paper plates and am now finding they are prone to all kinds of issues storing them outside of my home in a shed, oh great….

“Toilet paper is prone to moisture and all kinds of critters: vermin, silverfish, termites, ants (if you live in the humid tropics like I do), and of course, rodents. Mice, squirrel and chipmunks love to gnaw at all kinds of paper, shredding them to bits to use for nesting.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Although the prepared powdered gelatin doesn't require any cooking, dissolving it in hot water makes it digest a little more quickly.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am thinking my 50 year old aloe Vera plant may be one of my most valuable survival assets….

“The bioactive compounds from Aloe vera are claimed to be very effective in treatment of various ailments, such as burns, allergic reactions, rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatic fever, acid indigestion, ulcers, diabetes, skin diseases, dysentery, diarrhea, piles and inflammatory conditions of the digestive system and other ...”

Attachments

• EE2FA1CA-A2DB-4C59-AB92-4220B5EF71AE.jpeg
    EE2FA1CA-A2DB-4C59-AB92-4220B5EF71AE.jpeg
    674.1 KB · Views: 6
OP
Rinse & rePeat
... I'm not that good with the guns but here is my new toy... should not be a problem to survive if one is surrounded by the woods....

View attachment 36835
I went to my first archery lesson recently and loved it, and did very well. I have another lesson scheduled this month, and am looking forward to getting my own bow in the future. I can’t wait to shoot one like yours!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I finally decided to get a solar generator. I have lived in constant fear of losing my two refrigerators full of food if something happens. My girlfriend had her electricity go out 3 times last year. The third time it stayed off for the whole day and night and they lost of all of their food. Ironically they had just gotten back from Costco when it happened. They finally bought a gas generator after that. I haven’t wanted a gas generator,not only because of the noise, but the gas prices are not going to be getting better and the lines there would be terrible with everybody having the same problem. Though this solar generator uses lithium batteries, they are lithium iron phosphate batteries so they can charge and drain ten times more than regular lithium batteries. This charges your refrigerator, phone, microwave or whatever.

Attachments

• B6D87841-3C57-4270-881E-BAC21C474987.jpeg
    B6D87841-3C57-4270-881E-BAC21C474987.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 8215C56E-2DB0-4C80-9E58-A7BAC655C606.jpeg
    8215C56E-2DB0-4C80-9E58-A7BAC655C606.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 9
  • FCABB574-D221-4D0A-BD0B-1E495E7EF409.jpeg
    FCABB574-D221-4D0A-BD0B-1E495E7EF409.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 9210CE81-50D2-4B7A-82F1-A98573A79E07.png
    9210CE81-50D2-4B7A-82F1-A98573A79E07.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 6

L_C

I went to my first archery lesson recently and loved it, and did very well. I have another lesson scheduled this month, and am looking forward to getting my own bow in the future. I can’t wait to shoot one like yours!
Wow, I am so proud of you! Archery is a lot of fun. Let me know if you want any advice on what to get. Feel free to pm me.

I think a lot of non-Peat folk go the wrong route with survival foods, ie. tons of beans, pasta, etc. I personally would load up on powdered milk/eggs, canned cheese and butter, canned beef, dried fruit, and honey.

I love my Jackery 1000 solar generator and sun oven. It's not a bad idea to accumulate propane of various sizes for grills and stoves.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow, I am so proud of you! Archery is a lot of fun. Let me know if you want any advice on what to get. Feel free to pm me.
I probably will be asking you! I thought it was interesting that I am a left hand shooter when I am right handed. I do play billiards left handed too though. I love it!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think a lot of non-Peat folk go the wrong route with survival foods, ie. tons of beans, pasta, etc. I personally would load up on powdered milk/eggs, canned cheese and butter, canned beef, dried fruit, and honey.

I love my Jackery 1000 solar generator and sun oven. It's not a bad idea to accumulate propane of various sizes for grills and stoves.
Yeah I made that mistake early in the pandemic, stocking up on pasta and many unPeaty things. This time around I loaded up on honey, ghee, collagen powder and gelatin, coconut oil, sprouted oats, sugar, coffee, marmalade, Concord grape juice and clam juice, oysters, canned milk, artichoke hearts, sweetened condensed milk, beef tallow, canned mushrooms, sprouted brown rice, chocolate, heirloom Einkorn flour and various hot sauces just in case I have to get some questionable meat down.

PeskyPeater

IM dutch we eat lots of potato. I have stocked up like 10 boxes of mashed potato powder good for like 160 meals.
source of carbs and protein from the ketoacid. add some UHT milk and boom, nutrients and satiety. you can live for months on that stuff.

-edit- recipes ?

cook water plus milk
add salt or japanese soysauce
add a sniff or 2 of rosemary
stirr and at the end 1/4 tsp italian seasoning
enjoy

Yeah I made that mistake early in the pandemic, stocking up on pasta and many unPeaty things. This time around I loaded up on honey, ghee, collagen powder and gelatin, coconut oil, sprouted oats, sugar, coffee, marmalade, Concord grape juice and clam juice, oysters, canned milk, artichoke hearts, sweetened condensed milk, beef tallow, canned mushrooms, sprouted brown rice, chocolate, heirloom Einkorn flour and various hot sauces just in case I have to get some questionable meat down.

Good list, there! This is the canned butter I stock up on. The manufacturer says the shelf life can last up to 10 years if stored properly.

Attachments

• 20221206_071437.jpg
    20221206_071437.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221206_071448.jpg
    20221206_071448.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 9
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Good list, there! This is the canned butter I stock up on. The manufacturer says the shelf life can last up to 10 years if stored properly.
I never heard of canned butter till now! Have you tried it? I stocked up on the ghee for butter flavor.

I have! It is pretty good, actually. Had some on sourdough toast the other day. I have lots of ghee, too. I also have a ton of butter in the freezer. I like a multifaceted approach to any one item, if possible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals