Any Potters on the Forum? Dealing with Mold In Clay

animalcule

Briefly: I am healing from 15+ years (possibly lifelong) mold illness. Very sensitive to mold, and I feel effects from mold exposure (even nontoxic mold) that most other people don't.

I've also recently started taking ceramics courses, which I love. Unfortunately... mold loves clay, tool. I cannot use classroom reclaim clay, as it makes me feel very ill, very quickly. I thought I was safe using new clay, but recent purchases have showed that even new clay sometimes comes with visible mold growth already on it - I've reacted to this as well. So... what to do??

Questions:
1) Does anyone know of a clay brand/supplier that typically DOESN'T arrive already molding? (My brand was Standard Clay).

2) Does anyone know of any hacks/additives that I could mix in to prevent mold growth? Vinegar really doesn't cut it - I tried that, still reacted. I was thinking maybe silver ions in water? Copper powder?

Ceramics is pretty much the only thing I have enjoyed in a really long time, so even though I know it can make me ill, I still want to do it.

Any advice appreciated.

mamaglee

Briefly: I am healing from 15+ years (possibly lifelong) mold illness. Very sensitive to mold, and I feel effects from mold exposure (even nontoxic mold) that most other people don't.

I've also recently started taking ceramics courses, which I love. Unfortunately... mold loves clay, tool. I cannot use classroom reclaim clay, as it makes me feel very ill, very quickly. I thought I was safe using new clay, but recent purchases have showed that even new clay sometimes comes with visible mold growth already on it - I've reacted to this as well. So... what to do??

Questions:
1) Does anyone know of a clay brand/supplier that typically DOESN'T arrive already molding? (My brand was Standard Clay).

2) Does anyone know of any hacks/additives that I could mix in to prevent mold growth? Vinegar really doesn't cut it - I tried that, still reacted. I was thinking maybe silver ions in water? Copper powder?

Ceramics is pretty much the only thing I have enjoyed in a really long time, so even though I know it can make me ill, I still want to do it.

Any advice appreciated.
You could leave the clay out to air or even dry out and then reconstitute with the vinegar (some people can't handle vinegar either). I don't know about silver, but copper might turn your clay blue, and affect other things such as melting temp or change the constitution. I would write the clay companies. Most clay is packed in 25 pound plastic bags. Maybe if you get clay right out of the pug mill, before it's wrapped, you could work with it, but as soon as you store it, it might get mold spores. I love pottery and it really helps to center me, so I understand your disappointment. I would also write some of the clay coops or schools, as a lot of the ceramic artists make their own clays and recipes and might be able to guide you about some thing that would help the mold. OZONE? I will also ask my potter friends and reply if I find out anything else.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
I mean I believe it would. It kills mold. I used it in a giant cob art installation once. The ingredients were earth red clay crushed recycled glass water and big doses of borax just to kill the mold.
It worked.
Try it! 🤷‍♂️

OP
A

animalcule

You could leave the clay out to air or even dry out and then reconstitute with the vinegar (some people can't handle vinegar either). I don't know about silver, but copper might turn your clay blue, and affect other things such as melting temp or change the constitution. I would write the clay companies. Most clay is packed in 25 pound plastic bags. Maybe if you get clay right out of the pug mill, before it's wrapped, you could work with it, but as soon as you store it, it might get mold spores. I love pottery and it really helps to center me, so I understand your disappointment. I would also write some of the clay coops or schools, as a lot of the ceramic artists make their own clays and recipes and might be able to guide you about some thing that would help the mold. OZONE? I will also ask my potter friends and reply if I find out anything else.
Thank you!!

OP
A

animalcule

I mean I believe it would. It kills mold. I used it in a giant cob art installation once. The ingredients were earth red clay crushed recycled glass water and big doses of borax just to kill the mold.
It worked.
Try it! 🤷‍♂️
Just dry powdered borax? Or do I dilute it in water?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals