SURVIVAL - RECIPES & More…

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Another idea I saw in comments for toilet paper shortage is to use water in a weed sprayer (diy bidet).
A bidet! That is great! I am ordering one!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So I have been having aggressive ground squirrels taking over my back yard, and before I resort to buying a BB gun, I decided to go a more humane route, for now, in getting them out my space. So I did some reading up on the subject and read that ground squirrels carry rabies, diseases and even the bubonic plague! I read they aren’t the same as tree squirrels and are more of a rodent. I can see in survival times having to deal with this stuff too and decided to be proactive right away! I read that they don’t like cayenne pepper, smelly fish or castor oil, So I went to the 99 cent store and bought a bunch of cans of sardines packed in water and several bottles of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and went out back to offer them my purchases. I first opened up the sardines and tossed them around in the area they tend to hang out. I gotta say those sardines are too good to waste on them, so I am keeping the rest of the cans, and am making a “clam” corn chowder soup with one or two of them for this thread. They are from the warmer waters of San Diego, California, which Ray Peat says warm water tropical fish fats have more healthy saturated than unsaturated PUFA fats. Anyways I sprinkled 5 bottles of the hot sauce and a big bag of cinnamon all over their acorns and “hangouts” and it has been two days and I haven’t seen them since! Here is a pic of one of the nasty critters with his legs draped over the fence just watching me sitting on a blanket in the grass on Easter. He always has his mouth open too, like he is panting, and it isn’t even hot. He is so creepy!

Attachments

• D759A3D9-1308-439E-8329-EAD22F46AC42.jpeg
    D759A3D9-1308-439E-8329-EAD22F46AC42.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 15

HDD

I want to make some of the things listed in this older post.

Attachments

• 9ED95163-FCB2-4A1D-87A5-C22C3B306BAE.png
    9ED95163-FCB2-4A1D-87A5-C22C3B306BAE.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
Rinse & rePeat

Looking at this site. Some comments advise against canning milk.
I didn’t even get to the canning part. I wouldn’t be scared to eat anything I canned. I am haunted by a couple who died eating pickles their grandma canned.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
A friend told me he got rid of a coyote that kept coming into his backyard by urinating in his backyard. He said the coyote never came back!

“Yes, human urine is surpassingly effective, especially in your garden, to repel most of the known predators like pests and animals. It is actually the smell of human urine that is considered unbearable for certain species.

At the same time, it acts as a piece of information that a human is in close proximity to the remaining predators, and they should keep away from that region.

Ammonia is a chemical compound that is naturally present in human urine. It has a strong, pungent odor which is not very pleasant for most garden predators.

So, by using human urine, we are basically targeting the sense of smell of an animal, and therefore human urine falls into the category of olfactory repellents.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Tonight I worked on my survival cooking skills and made a SARDINE CHOWDER. The sardines can be swapped out for canned oysters or clams. This time I used potato flakes to thicken my soup and didn’t drain the corn. Be sure use sardines, oysters or clams packed in water, and cut them up into little pieces right in the can before adding to the soup. I added the sardine water, but you can drain it for a lighter flavor. I would not drain the clam water though because the clams are so light already. I had this made in 15 minutes!

To make, melt a couple of heaping tablespoons of ghee in a soup pot and add in 1/3 cup of potato flakes. If you don’t have potato flakes you can just add a couple tablespoons of flour. Brown the mixture and add 2 cups of canned milk. While the soup is coming to a boil, add in another 1/3 cup of potato flakes (no need to add anything here I if you used the flour instead). Add the chopped sardines/oysters/clams and a can of undrained corn, dried garlic and onion, salt and lots of Old Bay seasoning, like lots! Cook till thickened and serve topped with hot sauce and dehydrated green onion.

Attachments

• 3386639D-C4E8-4FEB-AD29-6E9DE7754607.jpeg
    3386639D-C4E8-4FEB-AD29-6E9DE7754607.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 11
  • ACC0AC57-FBEC-4C10-84D8-182B9215FA0C.jpeg
    ACC0AC57-FBEC-4C10-84D8-182B9215FA0C.jpeg
    845.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 02DD1FDA-ED9D-4F9E-B834-3C97110CA3D3.jpeg
    02DD1FDA-ED9D-4F9E-B834-3C97110CA3D3.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 14DF2892-C57C-4AA5-94FD-9F6DF4A8CAF4.jpeg
    14DF2892-C57C-4AA5-94FD-9F6DF4A8CAF4.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 10
  • D7A220F9-00E4-4FC9-B7AC-9EEDC988978A.jpeg
    D7A220F9-00E4-4FC9-B7AC-9EEDC988978A.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 3500D77A-4A9B-4D43-B2D9-65F4A7A44508.jpeg
    3500D77A-4A9B-4D43-B2D9-65F4A7A44508.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Do you know that you can use your pee for plants? Sounds weird? It’s not! Here are some of the known Urine Uses in the Garden!”

“It’s proven by science, in many recent studies. It contains 95% of water, 2.5% urea, and 2.5% of salts and other minerals. Due to the high nitrogen concentration in urine, it can be used as a liquid fertilizer to make plants more prolific.”

“Urine contains a high amount of nitrogen, a moderate amount of manganese, and a low amount of potassium. It works as an effective natural fertilizer, having an NPK ratio of 10:1:4, which is beneficial for plant growth.”

“The fresh urine is sterile and non-toxic. And, must be best used within 24 hours after obtaining it. Or, else, it stinks more. Urine, in combination with compost, can help you in growing heavy feeder vegetables like cucumber, pepper, cabbage, and tomatoes, organically.

You can use urine as nitrogen liquid fertilizer, compost accelerator, or as a weed killer as well.“

Attachments

• 29183D08-FC43-4986-BD7E-969258700537.jpeg
    29183D08-FC43-4986-BD7E-969258700537.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Since coffee grounds are very potent, it's a perfect repellent to fight off those pests. According to the EPA, coffee grounds are most potent when they are burned. All you need to do is place the coffee grounds in a bowl on a flat surface outside, and burn the grounds like you would incense.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Mushrooms only thrive in specific conditions and are notoriously difficult to grow.

For starters, they do not grow in ordinary garden soil, as they require a substrate, or underlying substance or layer.

Used coffee grounds make a great substrate because they are packed full of nutrients that mushrooms like to grow on (21Trusted Source).

What’s more, they have already been sterilized during the brewing process, which would otherwise be an extra step in the growing process.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Manuka honey is something I stock up on for emergencies…

“What makes manuka honey special is that it has the added benefit of a compound called methylglyoxal (try saying that five times fast). Methylglyoxal, in high enough concentrations, has a strong antibacterial effect. Combine that with the naturally occurring hydrogen peroxide in all honey, and you have a pretty powerful material to prevent infections in wounds. The Conversation reports that manuka honey can inhibit the proliferation of bacterial pathogens, including antibiotic-resistant superbugs.

But when you think of honey, the first thing you think about probably isn’t spreading it all over your leg after you fall off your bike. You’re going to eat it. When eaten, it can help keep bacteria that cause strep throat or gingivitis at bay. Some studies, like this one from 2013, suggest that manuka honey might be useful in treating cancer, but that hasn’t been confirmed yet.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:
“If a person has been limiting PUFA’s for say 4 years, but they have gotten fat on healthy saturated fats, are those stored fats in the body unhealthy when released into the bloodstream from dieting or a survival situation?”

RAY PEAT:
“The PUFA are preferentially stored rather than oxidized, so only an extreme diet can reduce their storage.”

Rinse & rePeat:
“So would a lean muscular person or a PUFA depleted fat person do better in a survival/starvation situation?”

RAY PEAT:
“Depleted animals are extremely stress resistant.”

FrostedShores

What can be the downside of these?

I'd be interested to get others' views on these, as well. I've been trying to find a good way to store water, but I keep hearing negative things about most water storage containers. Does anybody know of some good ones?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'd be interested to get others' views on these, as well. I've been trying to find a good way to store water, but I keep hearing negative things about most water storage containers. Does anybody know of some good ones?
I know me too! I stored a bunch of distilled water, in regular gallon container, just to discover, after years, many leaked out all over other things below which turned into a mildewed mess.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals