Supplements/Medications You Regret Trying?

Vinny

Brutal how? Constipation?
Size of the stool doesn't really matter.

I read an old physiology textbook where they starved dogs and the dogs were still producing feces and they proved there is almost 0 trace of food in feces. This means that feces = mostly dead-cells from the intestine + dead and live bacteria from the colon.

Small poops would indicate low-bacteria in your colon.
Yes, constipation. Beyond horrible one. I suspect, killing too much bacteria worsens the composition and transit time for me. Haven,t tried with another antibiotic yet.

Goobz

Those AIs don't only block estrogen you know?

They also block Progesterone which is pro-bone/anabolic to bone and joints.

Low estrogen does not cause bone, joint or skin issues.
Estrogen has been implicated in acne

Yeah, nah...

I’ve read that theory here (AIs effects being due to lowering progesterone) many times before. When I first read it a while ago, I believed it could be true. But now I just see it as a popular myth that does the rounds here, to justify some stuff that Ray Peat has said in the past.

Theres way too much evidence against it. We went over it in another thread, different forms of estrogen, different drugs, transsexuals and estrogen, and most importantly... the people with genetic aromatase deficiency. Google them, look at their skeletal deformities, and tell me “low estrogen doesn’t cause bone and joint issues.”

Anyway I won’t get started because I’ve gone over it many times (I’ll see if I can find the thread) and even though a few people are interested... basically people here don’t want to hear about it. But whatever, people can believe AI side effects are somehow via progesterone. If thinking that helps people avoid AIs, then fine. Just telling my story.

I can’t think of any supplement that I regret trying.

I have a lot of metabolic inertia, so that most things don’t affect me that quickly or that much.

I recently had to take Levoquin, and I was very careful not to take ANYTHING else besides food with it. I think it did a bit of a number on my teeth and joints but I’m rapidly recovering, and it was needed for my pneumonia.

Zigzag

To be honest, without blood tests I can't tell precisely. But judging by the "feeling" then pretty much everything. DHEA, pregnenolone, NDT, t3/t4, androsterone, lysine, all the vitamins, all the micros, many amino acids and much much more. None of them made me feel anything so I could tell the difference without blood tests.
Besides that the only two I felt were yohimbine HCL and beta-alanine, for obvious reasons.

Jennifer

Not so much regret, but I certainly won't be taking these again any time soon:
  • Vitamin C -- caused acid reflux, intestinal burning and diarrhea
  • Vitamin B complex -- caused a bout of insomnia, leading to daily adrenaline attacks and syncope episodes
  • L-theanine -- caused my blood pressure to skyrocket, exacerbating the adrenaline attacks
  • Digestive enzymes (for carbohydrates) -- caused chronic acid reflux and intestinal burning
  • Pharmaceutical strength oregano oil -- caused indigestion, intestinal burning and diarrhea
  • Activated charcoal -- fine in an emergency but caused constipation and gut irritation with regular use
  • Progest-E -- caused overarousal/over ovulation(?) and heavy bleeding for more than 2 weeks each month
  • Bio-identical estrogen -- don't think I need to explain further with this one

Last edited:
DIM. It made my estrogen so high I did not sleep for 4 nights straight, and I had such a strong, acute sense of smell I was revolted everywhere I went.

OP
SOMO

SOMO

• Progest-E -- caused overarousal/over ovulation(?) and heavy bleeding for more than 2 weeks each month

Regarding the Progest-E, I have read that progesterone can "flush" the estrogen out of the system.

This has been my mother's experience with Progest-E, when she takes it she gets hot flashes and red ears, as if that estrogen was being pushed into the bloodstream and away from the tissues.

I think the best thing in this situation would be to aid the liver's ability to excrete the estrogen with extra sulfur and glucose.

Jennifer

Regarding the Progest-E, I have read that progesterone can "flush" the estrogen out of the system.

This has been my mother's experience with Progest-E, when she takes it she gets hot flashes and red ears, as if that estrogen was being pushed into the bloodstream and away from the tissues.

I think the best thing in this situation would be to aid the liver's ability to excrete the estrogen with extra sulfur and glucose.
That's what I had read too from members here, but I should have realized that my context was likely different. I was only in my early 30s, was always on the tiny side/never accumulated much fat, was never on birth control, was always a healthy eater even based on Peaty standards, was coming from being severely underweight (69 lbs at my lowest) for a couple years due to illness and all my hormones had tanked, which was why I was put on bio-identical estrogen and progesterone therapy for a couple of months a few years prior to taking Progest-E.

My estrogen and prolactin levels have always been low, even those two months on hormone replacement so given that and the above, I find it hard to believe that my body still had an excess of estrogen to flush out even after a year of heavy bleeding with Progest-E. Even if I hadn't had blood work every month to prove it, I know for certain it was messing with my body based on the overarousal. I've always had a healthy libido, but that extreme level of arousal only happens during ovulation for me so between that and the chronic bleeding, my guess is Progest-E was causing me to ovulate multiple times per month.

Last edited:
OP
SOMO

SOMO

That's what I had read too from members here, but I should have realized that my context was likely different. I was only in my early 30s, was always on the tiny side/never accumulated much fat, was never on birth control, was always a healthy eater even based on Peaty standards, was coming from being severely underweight (69 lbs at my lowest) for a couple years due to illness and all my hormones had tanked, which was why I was put on bio-identical estrogen and progesterone therapy for a couple of months a few years prior to taking Progest-E.

My estrogen and prolactin levels have always been low, even those two months on hormone replacement so given that and the above, I find it hard to believe that my body still had an excess of estrogen to flush out even after a year of heavy bleeding with Progest-E. Even if I hadn't had blood work every month to prove it, I know for certain it was messing with my body based on the overarousal. I've always had a healthy libido, but that extreme level of arousal only happens during ovulation for me so between that and the chronic bleeding, my guess is Progest-E was causing me to ovulate multiple times per month.

Interesting. Obviously everyone's biology is very unique to them and something that can help a large majority of people can have strange effects in others.

Have you tried a traditional Aromatase Inhibitor like Exemestane or if you wanted to go the natural route, nettles?

My mother also had a similar background to you - thin, small, never on BC and ate healthy, but she still got side effects from Progest-E.

Interestingly, I would take massive doses of T3 (up to 25mcg) daily and I would feel fine, but my mom took tiny doses of T3, every few days and she ended up with Thyrotoxicosis (Thyroid Storm/Hyperthyroid) which resulted in her being hospitalized.

Go figure :*shrug*

Finasteride, adderall, hydrogen water in that order.

Why H2 water?

Jennifer

My mother also had a similar background to you - thin, small, never on BC and ate healthy, but she still got side effects from Progest-E.
Did she take Progest-E because her blood tests showed she was estrogen dominant? Did the side effects eventually resolve?

I love nettles! I consume a nettle tincture daily for calcium and other bone supporting minerals.

OP
SOMO

SOMO

Did she take Progest-E because her blood tests showed she was estrogen dominant? Did the side effects eventually resolve?

I love nettles! I consume a nettle tincture daily for calcium and other bone supporting minerals.

She just took it for symptoms of menopause (hot flashes mainly.)

BearWithMe

Thyroid.

I ended up with 8 root canals, dead tonsils and multiple skull cavitations. I still can't stop rapid tooth decay one year after stopping the supplementation. I haven't had a single cavity before I started experimenting with NDT.

Broken man

Thyroid.

I ended up with 8 root canals, dead tonsils and multiple skull cavitations. I still can't stop rapid tooth decay one year after stopping the supplementation. I haven't had a single cavity before I started experimenting with NDT.
Very interesting.

Arnold Grape

B-2 (in 25 mg doses, 2-3 x daily): gave me lots of energy off the bat and then something went wildly wrong that I am still unable to comprehend. (e.g. mood problems; swelling of the legs, inability to concentrate, extreme difficulty socializing and being at work.) Different brands.
D-3: had a similar effects as above, where I felt very “ On”, but even with cofactors I started acting/ feeling pretty weird. Reputable brand/ topical.
Pregnenolone: most temperamental thing I have taken, where one time it is great/ productive; other times creates a mental state evocative of a bad lsd trip. Reputable brands.
Lysine: probably.
Best and worst: aspirin and progesterone for creating consistent euphoria and joy while simultaneously turning my body into a stick figure. (If these substances did not crush androgens I would take them all the time.)

Andman

Thyroid.

man thats pretty horrible
what product did you try and at what dose etc if you dont mind sharing?

BearWithMe

man thats pretty horrible
what product did you try and at what dose etc if you dont mind sharing?
Sure, it was Thiroyd from Thailand and my highest dose was 120mg.

I don't think my teeth went so bad because Thiroyd is bad product, though. It actually does its job very well.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals