Supplements/Medications You Regret Trying?

BingDing

@JanP I cannot escape the idea that there is some element of the mystery still missing, because thyroid hormone so broadly supports good health. What that element might be is beyond our current understanding, I suppose.

I'm not a devout RP fanboy but he has been right so many times I listen to what says, or mutters, or stumbles through before being interrupted by a clueless interviewer. My point is that RP recommends not using acetylcholine.

Dr. Ellie has a dental health regime that has a lot of support, even on this forum. One step is swishing xylitol for two minutes, it is said this induces salivation. My experience is this is true, though minimal after my ill fated cypro experiment and increasing in the years since. That might be a way forward for you.

FWIW, standing in front of the bathroom mirror and swishing drives me nuts. I try to incorporate the swishing into some minor task like unloading the dishwasher and then spit it out in the kitchen sink. Or whatever happens to work...

No dentist will tell you this but I think you have a good chance to stabilize your tooth decay and slowly reverse it. That was Westin Prices's thesis a hundred years ago and is consistent with RP's thinking.

If you're warm and have a high heart rate, miracles are possible.

BD

D

danishispsychic

Milk Thistle, Licorice ( heart palps ) Spirulina, Wheatgrass, Green Coffee, Meds- I was poisoned with Cipro for years and years as I am allergic to Penn, Clindamycin almost killed me , a large pot brownie sent me to the ER after flat lining in the ambulance ( allergic shock ) too much magnesium ( lowered blood pressure too much ) Black walnut ( major allergic reaction ) T4 on its own. ( dizzy for weeks )

JessFields

Milk Thistle, Licorice ( heart palps ) Spirulina, Wheatgrass, Green Coffee, Meds- I was poisoned with Cipro for years and years as I am allergic to Penn, Clindamycin almost killed me , a large pot brownie sent me to the ER after flat lining in the ambulance ( allergic shock ) too much magnesium ( lowered blood pressure too much ) Black walnut ( major allergic reaction ) T4 on its own. ( dizzy for weeks )
What was your experience with clindamycin? I was on it, and other antibiotics for an extended period of time and have had lingering gut issues and fungal overgrowth since

JessFields

Thanks for this. Whilst you're here...did you find anything that did help histmaine tolerance after you had the negative experience with L-reuteri? Much appreciated :)
Lowish histamine diet. Especially with meat & protein foods. If I cooked meat, I would immediately freeze it instead of putting leftovers in the fridge. No seafood or cheeses/yogurt. Nothing fermented. Chocolate & cocoa is high histamine if I recall correctly..

Other than that, the passage of time seemed to help the most. I have read accounts of people saying that their histamine problem turned out to be yeast overgrowth. I'm unsure about this. I still have fungal issues but have seen huge improvements in my histamine tolerance

papaya

That's very interesting.

I'm on the opposite end of that one- a constant cavity sufferer before taking thyroid, no more since taking it. It's one of the reasons I've continued with it even though it's been so difficult.

I am leery of NDT products unless they come from reputable sources where the manufacturing chain is transparent and there is quality control.

I hope you didn't pick up some infectious agent from Thai thyroid products.
what thyroid product do you take & where do you get it from?

papaya

what did milk thistle do to you?

thomas00

I've used cynomel from farmaciasdelnino, tiromel from the online tiromel place, t3 pro, Tyromax, Tyromix, Tyronene. Mostly just stick with cynomel.

BearWithMe

@JanP I cannot escape the idea that there is some element of the mystery still missing, because thyroid hormone so broadly supports good health. What that element might be is beyond our current understanding, I suppose.

I'm not a devout RP fanboy but he has been right so many times I listen to what says, or mutters, or stumbles through before being interrupted by a clueless interviewer. My point is that RP recommends not using acetylcholine.

Dr. Ellie has a dental health regime that has a lot of support, even on this forum. One step is swishing xylitol for two minutes, it is said this induces salivation. My experience is this is true, though minimal after my ill fated cypro experiment and increasing in the years since. That might be a way forward for you.

FWIW, standing in front of the bathroom mirror and swishing drives me nuts. I try to incorporate the swishing into some minor task like unloading the dishwasher and then spit it out in the kitchen sink. Or whatever happens to work...

No dentist will tell you this but I think you have a good chance to stabilize your tooth decay and slowly reverse it. That was Westin Prices's thesis a hundred years ago and is consistent with RP's thinking.

If you're warm and have a high heart rate, miracles are possible.

BD
Thank you very much for such an encouraging words! I was researching Dr. Ellie and the xylitol swishing and stumbled upon this thread. Her system seems to get almost universal praise from everyone who tried it. Have ordered all the stuff she recommends :):

wavelength123

Anything that isn’t Testosterone + Dutasteride. Literally no clue why I‘ve kept trying new stuff that would yield inferior results.

Jam

The only thing I regret is not trying "high-dose"* iodine sooner. Jumped straight to 150mg x 3 (450mg) of SSKI a few months ago, and after just two days , all of my (moderate, not severe) joint pains (left leg sciatica, groin both sides, right knee, left shoulder, and right wrist) disappeared, never to return. Have been on a maintenance dose of 150mg (37.5mg x 4 with food) Lugol's since then, and take only some selenium, boron, and sodium ascorbate when I remember to. My joints feel at least 10 years younger. No side effects. No "detox". Nothing but positive results.

*What today is considered "high-dose" was actually a fairly low dosage in Albert Szent-Györgyi's time. "If ye don’t know where, what, and why, Prescribe ye then K and I."

BingDing

Thank you very much for such an encouraging words! I was researching Dr. Ellie and the xylitol swishing and stumbled upon this thread. Her system seems to get almost universal praise from everyone who tried it. Have ordered all the stuff she recommends :):

+1 Jan, little doubt you will find success with it, the results are beyond dispute. Best wishes from America! Or from my little corner of Tennessee, at least.

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

What was your experience with clindamycin? I was on it, and other antibiotics for an extended period of time and have had lingering gut issues and fungal overgrowth since
it caused c diff - almost life threatening - my gut has not been the same since

rei

alprazolam is probably the only one, and even that was only because i followed doctor's orders in how to use it. With what i know currently i could probably get most of the benefits without the tolerance and resulting epileptic seizure when forced to quit.

gately

These are my top ten biggest regrets after a decade of trying to cure my mystery illness:

1 - Cipro: six months of crippling anxiety and suicidal depression. Took two years to fully recover from a week of IV usage, following a Crohn's flare.

2 - Flagyl: same effects as Cipro, just less severe. Took about a year to recover from a single pill.

3 - Hydroxycobalamin: Similar to Cipro in effects. Felt acutely 'poisoned' for 3 weeks. (Still no idea why on this one.)

4 - Bififus strains of probiotics: 3 months of feeling 'poisoned' and long lasting histamine reactions, and worsening food intolerances.

5 - Any strongly fermented food containing probiotics, such as kimchi: basically the same thing as Bifidus strains. (Bulgarian Yogurt is fine, though.)

6 - Raw Milk: Brucelosis infection, histamine reactions, worsening food intolerances

7 - Methylfolate: a cascading histamine reaction where my entire body eventually turned BRIGHT red for a week and I felt like I was going insane.

8 - TMG: Similar effects as Methylfolate.

9 - Lactoferrin: the most INSANE rage I've ever felt in my life. Lasted 8 hours. Threw my iPad at my TV screen. Ruined a good relationship. Screamed at strangers. Still no idea why this happened, maybe it has something to do with Iron displacement or a hidden infection.

10 - A diet of exclusively Potato and butter: lasted one day. Had the same effect as Lactoferrin. Not sure why. Maybe Solanine toxicity, which is reported to cause rage? Maybe a similar iron displacement, or hidden infection die off response. No clue.

Lactoferrin: the most INSANE rage I've ever felt in my life. Lasted 8 hours. Threw my iPad at my TV screen. Ruined a good relationship. Screamed at strangers. Still no idea why this happened, maybe it has something to do with Iron displacement or a hidden infection.

My god that's amazing. I've taken Lactoferrin for a while and felt absolutely nothing on it.

For me it's mostly hair loss stuff that destroyed me but also a few others.

1. Alternate day fasting / calorie restriction - I believe it's what caused my hypothyroidism and virtually the start of all my health issues at 20 y/o, my health was immaculate before it and I never recovered in many aspects even 8 years later

2. Finasteride - ended up with PFS which I am still fighting to this day. Caused indescribable damage to my quality of life for over 4 years now

3. Rice bran CO2 extract topical - more hair garbage, this gave me permanent tinnitus which becomes worse whenever I'm exposed to 5-ARI's

4. Policosanols - since getting PFS I've been sensitive to anything with even remote 5-ARI properties. This garbage gave me vertigo and derealization which took a few weeks and a lot of androgenic supplements to recover from

5. Random probiotics - nothing but farts

6. Astaxanthin - expensive antioxidant which gave me ball ache and 5-AR symptoms

7. NAC - ball ache

8. Ashwagandha - initially it made me feel better but after a few days I started to feel somewhat psychopathic which was scary

9. Red Light - if used wrongly. I managed to overdo it and 'fry' the lymph nodes in my neck to the point where I had a sore throat and flu symptoms for a week

10. Benzos - never took high doses or developed tolerance, but I never saw the utility of them either. They only made me stupid and brain-fogged, while still anxious

That's the worst stuff, off the top of my head.

Ignoramus

I was really benefitting from cyproheptadine when I first started using it, and I really love the big sleeps I get from it. I think I went overboard though, and I used it every night for like 6 months. I think it has seriously messed up my dopamine circuits or something, and for the past 3 months or so I've been feeling sooo unmotivated and flat. Hans's 'Dopamine Dream Team' thread has been helping me pick things up again. I think I will only use cypro in emergencies from now on.

Not a supplement but overall a diet regimen called the Amen-Ra Age Inhibition Protocol... basically a diet built to lower your metabolism as much as possible with the promise of to slowing the aging process greater than any other diet... it consisted of things such as- (one calorically restricted meal a day w/ 23 hour fast/ soy protein powder, soy milk, estrogenic tea, flaxseed oil to meet requisite fat requirements, and daily rigorous exercise. Etc. etc.)

... went through a profound amount of stress doing this diet while also in college as you can imagine. But it helped me understand my body more, what the stress hormones feel like and, and helped me understand through experience/ retroactively that Ray Peats ideologies are the right way to go about things (ex. crippling anxiety being greatly diminished immediately after eating sugar or immediately after stepping outside into the sun from a fluorescent lit building

Last edited: