Supplements/Medications You Regret Trying?

OP
SOMO

SOMO

Finasteride ruined me for the last 10 years.

Why did you take licorice?

The Licorice I actually did not take as a supplement, I got some real concentrated Licorice candy (not the kind you can buy in the grocery store.)

Basically it's pure licorice pellets.

Matt C

Tiromel (t3) - did nothing for me, but then again, I've never taken something and felt notably good or bad things from it. I envy ppl on here because many at least get a reaction from their body whether to go forward or cease.

I feel like aspirin and B3 is increasing my temp better than t3 did, even though I did the Wilson protocol and got up to a couple pills a day.

sladerunner69

The Licorice I actually did not take as a supplement, I got some real concentrated Licorice candy (not the kind you can buy in the grocery store.)

Basically it's pure licorice pellets.

Oh, interesting. Why did you take it? Were you trying to increase your cortisol or something?

japanesedude

ostarine - left me insomnia for over an year.I actually had to take malatonin to sleep.
clomid - tried 25mg dose for couple days. gave me terrible mood swing and jointpain.
Vitamin E - 400Iu orally. left me some kind of gut discomfort.

Frankdee20

Tyrosine, Phenylalanine, Fish Oil, Ginseng, Tribulus.... All gave me terrible anxiety and agitation and insomnia..,. But nothing was worse than 5htp.... my nervous system didn’t recover for 6 years

JessFields

I've taken so many things that had negative effects, but they're generally temporary. A couple exceptions:

L-reuteri either caused or worsened histamine intolerance for me. Fortunately it has now calmed down, but it lasted a year+

Benzos, while helpful years ago when I was dealing with encephalitis, have been brutal weening off of. I wouldn't recommend anyone taking them on a consistent basis

golder

I've taken so many things that had negative effects, but they're generally temporary. A couple exceptions:

L-reuteri either caused or worsened histamine intolerance for me. Fortunately it has now calmed down, but it lasted a year+

Benzos, while helpful years ago when I was dealing with encephalitis, have been brutal weening off of. I wouldn't recommend anyone taking them on a consistent basis
Thanks for this. Whilst you're here...did you find anything that did help histmaine tolerance after you had the negative experience with L-reuteri? Much appreciated :)

BingDing

I used cyproheptadine every day for maybe a month and it pretty much shut down my saliva glands. I hadn't had cavities for years, even with pretty casual tooth brushing, and got a bunch of cavities quickly. For years after it is rare that my teeth feel clean and smooth like they did for so long.

@JanP That is a pretty horrific story, you have my sympathy. Did anything at all change other than taking thyroid? Did you have any lab work from that period that showed any specific nutrient deficiencies?

Edited for spelling.

BearWithMe

I used cyproheptadine every day for maybe a month and it pretty much shut down my saliva glands. I hadn't had cavities for years, even with pretty casual tooth brushing, and got a bunch of cavities quickly. For years after it is rare that my teeth feel clean and smooth like they did for so long.

@JanP That is a pretty horrific story, you have my sympathy. Did anything at all change other than taking thyroid? Did you have any lab work from that period that showed any specific nutrient deficiencies?

Edited for spelling.
I haven't changed anything at all beside the thyroid supplement. I've had a bit high blood calcium and a bit low blood phosphorus, but beside that, everything was perfectly in the range at the time. Actually, I suspect my tooth decay is also somehow related to saliva glands / dry mouth, which was somehow triggered by the thyroid supplement.

redsun

Edited for spelling.

Sorry to hear that.

Killing histamine = rip salivation and rip teeth

redsun

Is there any way to restore the salivary glands?

The way I would go about is to try boost/promote histamine and acetylcholine while trying to reduce the sympathetic nervous system. Usually boosting acetylcholine also calms down the SNS. Thing is if one takes cypro, yes it does kill histamine but it should bounce back but maybe this not always the case and if not careful its possible cypro can permanently **** up something in the brain or the salivary glands themselves.

BearWithMe

The way I would go about is to try boost/promote histamine and acetylcholine while trying to reduce the sympathetic nervous system. Usually boosting acetylcholine also calms down the SNS. Thing is if one takes cypro, yes it does kill histamine but it should bounce back but maybe this not always the case and if not careful its possible cypro can permanently **** up something in the brain or the salivary glands themselves.
Wow, given how many forum members have similar issues with cypro, it is horrible to think it might be permanent. Thank you for this post, redsun

I haven't changed anything at all beside the thyroid supplement. I've had a bit high blood calcium and a bit low blood phosphorus, but beside that, everything was perfectly in the range at the time. Actually, I suspect my tooth decay is also somehow related to saliva glands / dry mouth, which was somehow triggered by the thyroid supplement.

Hypophosphatemia and elevation of Ca simultaneously is suggestive of D-deficiency.what was your intake and Light exposure leading to these findings.

BearWithMe

Hypophosphatemia and elevation of Ca simultaneously is suggestive of D-deficiency.what was your intake and Light exposure leading to these findings.
My light exposure was very poor / almost nonexistent at the time. I was taking high dose D supplement though, and it made me feel really bad. I'm not tolerating D supplements since then.
In the past 12 months, I made sure I'm getting plenty of direct sunlight on my whole body (6+ hours every day in the spring and summer), but my tooth decay still continues to this day.
As a side note, I'm not tolerating K1 and K2 supplements either, they are giving me symptoms very similar to the D supplements.

My light exposure was very poor / almost nonexistent at the time. I was taking high dose D supplement though, and it made me feel really bad. I'm not tolerating D supplements since then.
In the past 12 months, I made sure I'm getting plenty of direct sunlight on my whole body (6+ hours every day in the spring and summer), but my tooth decay still continues to this day.
As a side note, I'm not tolerating K1 and K2 supplements either, they are giving me symptoms very similar to the D supplements.

now that is interesting,i get my detective feelings online.How much D were you taking roughly,for how long?Phosphorus and Calcium Content of your meals?

BearWithMe

now that is interesting,i get my detective feelings online.How much D were you taking roughly,for how long?Phosphorus and Calcium Content of your meals?
First 50000IU, then 12500IU weekly, in the injection form. I think it was for two months.
My phosphorus and calcium intake at the time was very poor, maybie around 500-700mg of each daily?
In the past 12 months, I was drinking 2 quarts of milk every day, plus cheese and other milk products, getting up to 3g of Ca and P a day, and my tooth decay still continues.

First 50000IU, then 12500IU weekly, in the injection form. I think it was for two months.
My phosphorus and calcium intake at the time was very poor, maybie around 500-700mg of each daily?
In the past 12 months, I was drinking 2 quarts of milk every day, plus cheese and other milk products, getting up to 3g of Ca and P a day, and my tooth decay still continues.

Halflife of D is only 3 weeks,you should see that you test your levels regularly and keep them,in my opinion,between 60-80ng/ml up to 100ng/ml.

thomas00

Yes.

There are actually multiple pathways in which thyroid can do this. It could be due to raised PTH, which will leech calcium from bones and teeth. It could be by speeding up the metabolism to the point the body don't have enough energy and nutrients to properly support it. This will cause general malnourishment and tooth decay. It could be due to lowered saliva production. Hyperthyroidism could also suppress immunity, which is obviously bad when dealing with infection of the pulp. I think it is combination of all of the above.

Plenty of forum members (including @Charlie) lost some of their teeth like that. I've had absolutely perfect dental health for 30 years and lost my teeth in 30 days from starting thyroid. Sure, could be coincidence, it could be caused by something else, but I highly doubt it.

That's very interesting.

I'm on the opposite end of that one- a constant cavity sufferer before taking thyroid, no more since taking it. It's one of the reasons I've continued with it even though it's been so difficult.

I am leery of NDT products unless they come from reputable sources where the manufacturing chain is transparent and there is quality control.

I hope you didn't pick up some infectious agent from Thai thyroid products.