Sudden cognitive issues?

Connor888

For the past couple of weeks, a feeling rooted in me has been growing, it feels like an inner knowing something awful is going to happen, and I'm not sure why this is. I have had so many challenges in my life, and anxieties, but this doesn't feel like anything I've ever experienced before.

I've had brain fog on/off for years, but these past couple of weeks have left my head feeling different. Like a mechanical problem. I'll be talking to someone, and completely forget what I was about to say. This doesn't bother me at all once, or twice, but its all the time, and it never was before. I'm picking things up and forgetting where I've put them, and it seems to be getting progressively worse - and i'm 24. I've also had derealization for years which has been worse recently.

It's come on so fast that I feel like I've been poisoned, I know I haven't, but I also have no ideas what could be causing it.

For some context:
I don't eat much PUFA and my diet is low/moderate fat. I eat a pretty wide range of foods. I take a B Complex which helps my energy levels greatly, but it can't be that, since this problem precedes it.

I honestly don't know where to start. & I would appreciate any tips. I can feel a light pressure in my head too, but on the surface everything appears fine -- besides the memory issues. BP, HR, Body Temps, mood are all normal besides my concerns. I don't know, something just feels 'off', like my head is under water.

Michael Mohn

Do you have a history of drug use?
What is derealization exactly?
Did you saw a doctor, have you done some tests?

Last edited:

GodsHound

I would check for low cholesterol, after which I would investigate thyroid. Do you eat enough?

OP
Connor888

Connor888

I would check for low cholesterol, after which I would investigate thyroid. Do you eat enough?
I think my cholesterol is ok, or as of a few weeks ago at least when I had it tested. I've changed my diet slightly since then, but it was:
Total cholesterol:
03/04/2023- Your result is 4 mmol/L

HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN​

03/04/2023-Your result is 0.61 mmol/L

NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL​

03/04/2023- Your result is 3.38 mmol/L

TRIGLYCERIDES​

03/04/2023- Your result is 2.36 mmol/L

Yeah you're right. I definitely think something is causing my thyroid to be sluggish, as my TSH was 4.19 (0.27 - 4.2) as of the time i did this test. And my basal temp is usually 36 - 36.2c. Now and again it'll be 36.3c. Judging by my symptoms (cold extremities, tiredness etc) and temperature, i am not really any more hypothyroid now compared to a couple of years ago. Because they were about the same then too. Unless this is some downstream effect of lacking hormone for an extended period. Really not sure. I eat a good amount of food. Try not to over / under eat; i dont track calories as much anymore , but if i had to guess i'd say i was eating 1800 - 2300 per day thanks

GodsHound

I think my cholesterol is ok, or as of a few weeks ago at least when I had it tested. I've changed my diet slightly since then, but it was:
Total cholesterol:
03/04/2023- Your result is 4 mmol/L

HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN​

03/04/2023-Your result is 0.61 mmol/L

NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL​

03/04/2023- Your result is 3.38 mmol/L

TRIGLYCERIDES​

03/04/2023- Your result is 2.36 mmol/L

Yeah you're right. I definitely think something is causing my thyroid to be sluggish, as my TSH was 4.19 (0.27 - 4.2) as of the time i did this test. And my basal temp is usually 36 - 36.2c. Now and again it'll be 36.3c. Judging by my symptoms (cold extremities, tiredness etc) and temperature, i am not really any more hypothyroid now compared to a couple of years ago. Because they were about the same then too. Unless this is some downstream effect of lacking hormone for an extended period. Really not sure. I eat a good amount of food. Try not to over / under eat; i dont track calories as much anymore , but if i had to guess i'd say i was eating 1800 - 2300 per day thanks
TSH of 4+ is certainly concerning. Your total cholesterol of 4mmol/L, if measured at the same time as a TSH of 4.19, could be considered on the low side considering that the cholesterol is not being used at a proper rate due to lower thyroid function (i.e. typically when your thyroid is sluggish, but you have plenty of nutrition, your cholesterol will accumulate and show high). I think a caloric intake of 1800 - 2300 kcal is barely sufficient for even a completely sedentary lifestyle. I'm a similar age to you, avereage height and weight, light excersice and I need around 3000kcal minimum - otherwise I also start to experience fatuige along with cognitive issues.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

TSH of 4+ is certainly concerning. Your total cholesterol of 4mmol/L, if measured at the same time as a TSH of 4.19, could be considered on the low side considering that the cholesterol is not being used at a proper rate due to lower thyroid function (i.e. typically when your thyroid is sluggish, but you have plenty of nutrition, your cholesterol will accumulate and show high). I think a caloric intake of 1800 - 2300 kcal is barely sufficient for even a completely sedentary lifestyle. I'm a similar age to you, avereage height and weight, light excersice and I need around 3000kcal minimum - otherwise I also start to experience fatuige along with cognitive issues.
just to clarify; would supplementary thyroid lower the cholesterol even more, would that be possible?

i may be underestimating my calories slightly , but for the most part i just tend to eat when im hungry, and try not to overeat. even still i cant seem to drop below 90kg. are you a similar weight too?

GodsHound

just to clarify; would supplementary thyroid lower the cholesterol even more, would that be possible?

i may be underestimating my calories slightly , but for the most part i just tend to eat when im hungry, and try not to overeat. even still i cant seem to drop below 90kg. are you a similar weight too?
Yeah, one of the basic functions of T3 is to turn over cholesterol into other hormones (including neurosteroids which have a direct effect on cognitive funciton). I think cholesterol of 4mmol/L is enough to start a small supplement of thyroid, but you'll have to feel your way through the effects and make sure to back the thyroid up with ample nutrition (fruit juices, eggs, liver, ect) and following up on tests is always helpful. Have you ever tried supplementing thyroid?

I weigh less than that. I have a BMI of 23, I'm quite lean, I eat 3000-4000 kcal daily.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

Yeah, one of the basic functions of T3 is to turn over cholesterol into other hormones (including neurosteroids which have a direct effect on cognitive funciton). I think cholesterol of 4mmol/L is enough to start a small supplement of thyroid, but you'll have to feel your way through the effects and make sure to back the thyroid up with ample nutrition (fruit juices, eggs, liver, ect) and following up on tests is always helpful. Have you ever tried supplementing thyroid?

I weigh less than that. I have a BMI of 23, I'm quite lean, I eat 3000-4000 kcal daily.
Yeah , so back in 2020 i actually worked my way up to 5 grains of thyroid , with two different types at different times, and all they did was increase the amount of thyroid in my blood - nothing else! I say this because none of my symptoms changed , temps didnt change at all for the good besides plumitting for the first few weeks. But i gave it at least 3-6 months. Its entirely possible i was deficient in vitamin d back then too, like i am now (18ng / dl ) which is maybe why it didnt work ?
I get all of those foods you mentioned daily MINUS the liver. But i actually bought some Yesterday, i plan on having some today actually. Thank you

Edit; just for context , my ft3 was really high at the time i had it tested on 4-5 grains , with a suppressed tsh, which is why i thought my body wasn't using much, if any of it

GodsHound

Such a low level of Vitamin D would certainly contribute towards negative symptoms and in itself will tend to cause a high level level of TSH and decrease thyroid function. Perhaps raising your serum Vitamin D should be your priority, I have heard that some people find themselves needing to supplement up to 50,000 IU to make a difference, but do your own research. Here is a study showing the effects of Vitamin D supplementation on thyroid function:

The Effects of Vitamin D Supplementation on Thyroid Function in Hypothyroid Patients: A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial​

Afsaneh Talaei, Fariba Ghorbani, and Zatollah Asemi
PMID: 30294564

Abstract​

Background:​

Data on the effects of vitamin D supplementation on thyroid function in hypothyroid patients are scarce.

Objective:​

This study was done to evaluate the effects of vitamin D supplementation on thyroid function in hypothyroid patients.

Material and Methods:​

This randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted on 201 hypothyroid patients aged 20–60 years old. Subjects were randomly assigned into two groups to intake either 50,000 IU vitamin D supplements (n = 102) or placebo (n = 99) weekly for 12 weeks. Markers of related with thyroid function were assessed at first and 12 weeks after the intervention.

Results:​

After 12 weeks of intervention, compared to the placebo, vitamin D supplementation resulted in significant increases in serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (+26.5 ± 11.6 vs. 0.0 ± 0.0 ng/mL, P < 0.001) and calcium (+0.4 ± 0.7 vs. 0.1 ± 0.6 mg/dL, P = 0.002), and a significant decrease in serum thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels (−0.4 ± 0.6 vs. +0.1 ± 2.0 μIU/mL, P = 0.02). A trend towards a greater decrease in serum parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels was observed in vitamin D group compared to placebo group (−3.8 vs. +1.9, P = 0.07). We did not observe any significant changes in serum T3, T4, alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and albumin levels following supplementation of vitamin D compared with the placebo.

Conclusion:​

Overall, the current study demonstrated that vitamin D supplementation among hypothyroid patients for 12 weeks improved serum TSH and calcium concentrations compared with the placebo, but it did not alter serum T3, T4, ALP, PTH, and albumin levels.

There are many more.

Sometimes if you are defficient in a regulatory nutrient, such as Vitamin D, your body cannot respond to large amounts of thyroid hormone and will just produce large amounts of RT3 to mitigate the effects of the supplement.

animalcule

MOLD

sorry, current obsession. But yea: could be an allergen in your environment? Or mold. Look for mold in your house/air ducts/office space

OP
Connor888

Connor888

MOLD

sorry, current obsession. But yea: could be an allergen in your environment? Or mold. Look for mold in your house/air ducts/office space
Could mold in foods have similar effects? I had an awful mold exposure in my teens, but that was my last exposure that im aware of

But. The dates i buy sometimes have a mold taste. Which makes me have to spit them out. I will probably stop buying them

animalcule

Could mold in foods have similar effects? I had an awful mold exposure in my teens, but that was my last exposure that im aware of

But. The dates i buy sometimes have a mold taste. Which makes me have to spit them out. I will probably stop buying them
It’s possible, I don’t really know. If you developed an allergy to mold after your last exposure, that could trigger it. Allergens always make me feel brain foggy.

Pablo Cruise

Are you eating a vegetable or a fruit regularly? Many have insectasides that accumulate...if you have exhausted other options. They will create memory problems or fogginess if you prefer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals