Storing potatoes in the fridge/cold can cause them to convert some of their starch into sugar

Green Dot

Not sure if this is known but for anyone who wants to go that little extra mile, this tip might be helpful.

Megamole

I’ve heard the opposite, that refrigerating potatoes causes them to form resistant starches. Not 100% sure though, will need to look into it

Samya

I’ve heard the opposite, that refrigerating potatoes causes them to form resistant starches. Not 100% sure though, will need to look into it
I think that's after cooking, maybe Green Dot means pre? Any source?

Last edited:

laleto12

I think I’ve read that here, in this forum a while ago. My personal experience is that si nce I’ve started to store potatoes in the fridge, they have become easier to cook and soft.

:M :B.

Atom Bergstrom in his book about potatoes calls the fridge potatoes cryodextrinization opposite of pyrodextrinization. I've been keeping them in the fridge, works great. His book on potatoes is great.

akgrrrl

Historical potato storage is:
Dark
Dry
Not with onions or other foods as off gassing accelerates age

Few people understand what is on the shelf now is last years potatoes

Melk

Yeah I also found that to be an interesting idea, but the result (ime) is that they have a worse texture and taste, more like undercooked potatoes, so I assume it's not better.

There are lots of kinds of potatoes, so maybe it suits some better than others?

I've never noticed any ill effects from starch, from all the fuss we make about it.

akgrrrl

Yeah I also found that to be an interesting idea, but the result (ime) is that they have a worse texture and taste, more like undercooked potatoes, so I assume it's not better.

There are lots of kinds of potatoes, so maybe it suits some better than others?

I've never noticed any ill effects from starch, from all the fuss we make about it.
Yes thankyou for your voice with reason, as with all things these people dont specify WHICH potato, WHICH milk, WHICH grain/flour.
If you are choosing foods known GMO for 50 years, ultra processed, from sources highly suspect or compromised by pesticides, spectracides and other process-related procedures do a little research before you clog up the boards with inane posts; just go to McDonalds for the most normal not gmo'd, not soaked in chemicals before cooking in rancid poisonous oils, not "seasoned" in more additives plain good4you potatoes.

Melk

Yes thankyou for your voice with reason, as with all things these people dont specify WHICH potato, WHICH milk, WHICH grain/flour.
If you are choosing foods known GMO for 50 years, ultra processed, from sources highly suspect or compromised by pesticides, spectracides and other process-related procedures do a little research before you clog up the boards with inane posts; just go to McDonalds for the most normal not gmo'd, not soaked in chemicals before cooking in rancid poisonous oils, not "seasoned" in more additives plain good4you potatoes.
Spectracide is cool word, thanks for teaching it to me lol

akgrrrl

Spectracide is cool word, thanks for teaching it to me lol
Thanks for reading my rant. Acquiring a new word that vibrates with meaning we can use, can be a very real, satisfying human pleasure. And RePEATable.

FrostedShores

I've been eating a lot of potatoes, and I'm getting tired of peeling them every single day. I would love to be able to make a bunch at one time and store them in the fridge, but I've read mixed things regarding resistant starches (and whether putting them in the fridge even makes resistant starches in the first place). I've read that resistant starch produces butyrate in the gut, and this is supposed to be a good thing...

:M :B.

I've been eating a lot of potatoes, and I'm getting tired of peeling them every single day. I would love to be able to make a bunch at one time and store them in the fridge, but I've read mixed things regarding resistant starches (and whether putting them in the fridge even makes resistant starches in the first place). I've read that resistant starch produces butyrate in the gut, and this is supposed to be a good thing...
It would be interesting to know more about resistant starch and reheating starches like potatoes or rice. I know nothing about that.
In Atom Bergstroms book about potatoes he is a big fan of baking them because it produces more keto acid amino things that are good.

Here is what I do almost every night that doesn't involve peeling, is almost effortless and tastes awesome. Just tossing this out there for an idea so you don't have to peel everyday.

Bake some potatoes at 350F for an hour and a half I like to stab them so they don't explode. Have a bowl sitting there on something warm with milk, butter, salt, and whatever else you might want to add. Pull the potatoes out, cut them in half, scoop them into the bowl and smash them around and it's ready to eat. Smashed potatoes are the laziest most fulfilling thing I make. Can add an egg on top with some cheese or some ground beef with parmeaseanno not sure how to spell that.

FrostedShores

It would be interesting to know more about resistant starch and reheating starches like potatoes or rice. I know nothing about that.
In Atom Bergstroms book about potatoes he is a big fan of baking them because it produces more keto acid amino things that are good.

Here is what I do almost every night that doesn't involve peeling, is almost effortless and tastes awesome. Just tossing this out there for an idea so you don't have to peel everyday.

Bake some potatoes at 350F for an hour and a half I like to stab them so they don't explode. Have a bowl sitting there on something warm with milk, butter, salt, and whatever else you might want to add. Pull the potatoes out, cut them in half, scoop them into the bowl and smash them around and it's ready to eat. Smashed potatoes are the laziest most fulfilling thing I make. Can add an egg on top with some cheese or some ground beef with parmeaseanno not sure how to spell that.
That sounds delicious! And a lot easier than my current method of peeling. Thanks!

Also, am I the only one that actually prefers cold potatoes? That's part of the reason I'd like to better understand resistant starches because if I could just eat cold, mashed potatoes every day, I'd be happy!

akgrrrl

That sounds delicious! And a lot easier than my current method of peeling. Thanks!

Also, am I the only one that actually prefers cold potatoes? That's part of the reason I'd like to better understand resistant starches because if I could just eat cold, mashed potatoes every day, I'd be happy!
Cold mashed potatoes are coool. Make a patty, even roll it in cracker crumbs bread crums or crushed cereal and fry it in butter with eggs.
There are endless ways to make a potato salad with cold baked potatoes or boiled. I love sour cream with chives. Some like mayo, a few shakes of dill and olives. Others traditiknal mayo mustard, pickles onion and celery. You can always leave raw peeled potatoes in the fridge covered in water. Actually the best way to make crispy fries--- add salt and sugar to the water. When ready to cook, oven at 400 degrees, big paper bag with salt pepper, a spoon of cornstarch and a spoon of flour, cut your fries how you want them, shake them in the bag to coat, and put them on a heavily greased cookie sheet in the oven for 15mins or so according to how thick you cut them up.
Also cold mashed potatoes rolled in a ball with a chunk of cheese in center then fried like a patty awesome too.

Lollipop2

Cold mashed potatoes are coool. Make a patty, even roll it in cracker crumbs bread crums or crushed cereal and fry it in butter with eggs.
There are endless ways to make a potato salad with cold baked potatoes or boiled. I love sour cream with chives. Some like mayo, a few shakes of dill and olives. Others traditiknal mayo mustard, pickles onion and celery. You can always leave raw peeled potatoes in the fridge covered in water. Actually the best way to make crispy fries--- add salt and sugar to the water. When ready to cook, oven at 400 degrees, big paper bag with salt pepper, a spoon of cornstarch and a spoon of flour, cut your fries how you want them, shake them in the bag to coat, and put them on a heavily greased cookie sheet in the oven for 15mins or so according to how thick you cut them up.
Also cold mashed potatoes rolled in a ball with a chunk of cheese in center then fried like a patty awesome too.
Sounds downright yummmmmy @akgrrrl!

akgrrrl

I likes me some taters.
We have excellent purple fingerlings, reds, whites, and buttery yellow Yukon Golds every year from the volcanic Matanuska Valley.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals