Some things that now make sense to me...

Curt :-)

Hey all, I thought I'd share some things that had me confused forever, but now make sense to me after studying Dr Peat.

-Growth hormone is a stress hormone, not an androgen.
Many an "expert" has stated that GH is an androgen. Ways in which one can increase GH include sauna, cold showers, high intensity training programs (such as German volume training), and taking high doses of singe amino acids (which Ray has mentioned is stressful). I always wondered why an androgen would increase by putting the body under stress, it just never made sense. Now it does.
In the Poliquin camp, they take high doses (I'm talking 20 - 30 grams) of glutamine upon waking to increase growth hormone. They also use glutamine's sweet taste to try to curb sugar cravings. Winning lol

-Estrogen is not a sex hormone.
Im sure you guys have heard about "xeno-estrogens". I always pondered why hundreds of these chemicals would all mimic "female" hormones, yet none of them mimic male hormones. It makes zero sense. They don't mimic sex hormones, they're just stressful because they're toxic. This should have been obvious, but hey, I'm no Ray Peat lol

A couple of other things...
-Some companies that sell fish oil will vigorously deny that the PUFA's are unstable, yet always put antioxidants in their products, and recommend storing them in the fridge.
-Some guru's will tell you that you should avoid vegetable oils and use mostly saturated fats, yet still insist you get your omega 3's. What? Or, they go on about the omega 3 to 6 ratio...

Sorry, I know I'm posting like a man possessed at the moment, but I'm just so excited about this whole thing :):

Curt

freal

Curt :-) said:
Hey all, I thought I'd share some things that had me confused forever, but now make sense to me after studying Dr Peat.

-Growth hormone is a stress hormone, not an androgen.

-Estrogen is not a sex hormone.

Curt

????? What, if growth hormone was a stress hormone, it would not be released in the first few hours of sleep, thats when HGH is released.

There are 3 types of estrogen, estradiol, estron and estriol. I am pretty sure at least one of them is a "sex" hormone.

OP
C

So my interpretation of Ray's writings is inaccurate? (Of course, I am simplifying things for the sake of economy).
Im not sure what you mean by HGH, instead of GH.
Yes, I should have said estrogens, plural.

Not being a ****, but do you mind clarifying?

freal

Gh or GHG. Growth hormone (GH) also known as Human growth hormone(GHG) or somatropin. The thing unique about it thats its the only hormone release all at once and not drip by drip like the rest of them, so the anti-doping comitee has a though time fighting this problem. Growth hormone is probably not a stress hormone by itself, but there is certainly some truth in Ray Peat writing. Like a lot of his writing you probably need a masters degree in biochemistry or biology to understand it. You probably read it here:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gr ... mone.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_hormone

I dont think HGH is the center of all problems with stress. You cant really say this hormones is responsible for that by itself, its the ratio that matter, estrogen is a "sex steroid" mostly in ratio to progesterone. One needs the other. I think in the womens menstrual cycle you have the first half where the ratio of estrogen to progesterone is higher and then progesterone will be higher. You can mess the other part by taking estrogens.

OP
C

I may be a little out of my depth here lol. I'm still playing catch-up since converting from other school's of thought. Thanks for your reply

Mittir

Here is a RP quote on female hormone
Not the "female hormone," but the shock hormone
Estrogen, at least when it is not opposed by a very large concentration of progesterone, creates all of the conditions known to be involved in the aging process. These effects of estrogen include interference with oxidative metabolism, formation of lipofuscin (the age-pigment), retention of iron, production of free radicals and lipid peroxides, promotion of excitotoxicity and death of nerve cells, impaired learning ability, increased tendency to form blood clots and to have vascular spasms, increased autoimmunity and atrophy of the thymus, elevated prolactin, atrophy of skin, increased susceptibility to a great variety of cancers, lowered body temperature, lower serum albumin, increased tendency toward edema, and many of the features of shock. In recent years, it has been found to be responsible even for neonatal masculinization and the masculinization of the polycystic ovary syndrome. Although the pharmaceutical industry has often referred to it as "the female hormone," I don't know of any competent scientist who has ever called it that.
http://raypeat.com/articles/hormones/h1.shtml
RP has also mentioned in audio interviews( Josh Rubin:Progesterone and Estrogen,
Rainmaking Interview) that Progesterone is the real feminizing hormone, not Estrogen.
He also said Estrogen is probably a male hormone.
He also discussed three types of estrogen in this artcile
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/na ... gens.shtml

juanitacarlos

Curt :-) said:
I may be a little out of my depth here lol. I'm still playing catch-up since converting from other school's of thought. Thanks for your reply

Curt, I think most of us are out of our depth when it comes to Peat. Good on you for putting your thoughts out there. You ask questions, you learn, you refine. I'm glad you posted this.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I appreciate your insight. Our misunderstanding of hormones as a culture results in a lot of preventable suffering. Before discovering Peat's work I often wondered why so many women developed facial hair with age. I'm sure most women would not want facial hair if given a choice but since the true reason for this is increased estrogen and stress hormones and decreasing progesterone it just doesn't get addressed. It seems only Peat has come up with a coherent explanation for this. Thank goodness for his insights! When you work around the elderly on a daily basis you notice many aspects of ageing that medicine has zero help for or concern about. It's considered a cosmetic problem but actually goes much deeper than that. Makes sense to me and that's the beauty of Peat's work- life now makes sense to me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Blossom said:
Our misunderstanding of hormones as a culture results in a lot of preventable suffering. Before discovering Peat's work I often wondered why so many women developed facial hair with age. I'm sure most women would not want facial hair if given a choice but since the true reason for this is increased estrogen and stress hormones and decreasing progesterone it just doesn't get addressed.
This came to mind:

Ray Peat said:
If the evidence showing that progesterone prevents or cures cancer could be weighed against the evidence purporting to show that it is carcinogenic, I think it would be clear that something like a cultural-commercial misogyny has been at work. The novelty of the newer misogyny is that it is so often led, or at least figureheaded by women.
Source

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals