"Some Fruits, Including Bananas, Pineapples, And Tomatoes. "

Birdie

Re: "Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoe

Here's another from the same article:

Serotonin and its derivative, melatonin, are both involved in the biology of torpor and hibernation. Serotonin inhibits mitochondrial respiration. Excitoxic death of nerve cells involves both the limitation of energy production, and increased cellular activation. Serotonin has both of these actions.

Sounds brutal!

Birdie

Funny, narouz.
How in the world do you eat around the seeds in a tomato...?

Kinda glad I can't eat tomatoes and that my husband doesn't want them.

kiran

narouz said:
kiran said:
Tomatoes, damnit.

How in the world do you eat around the seeds in a tomato...? :?
It is possible actually, I've been doing it.

When you cut it open, you poke through the inner partition membrane(s) and wash the seeds out.

narouz

kiran said:
narouz said:
kiran said:
Tomatoes, damnit.

It is possible actually, I've been doing it.

When you cut it open, you poke through the inner partition membrane(s) and wash the seeds out.

Damn. :eek:
Alright, then,
I'll give it a try.
I'm so easily defeated, it seems.... :roll:

narouz

"...you poke through the inner partition membrane(s) and wash the seeds out."

kiran-
so you actually rinse those seeds out...like under the faucet...?

kiran

narouz said:
"...you poke through the inner partition membrane(s) and wash the seeds out."

kiran-
so you actually rinse those seeds out...like under the faucet...?

Yep, I think it gets most of them.

kettlebell

I love tomatoes, I just cut around the inner membrane and scrape the seeds out with a knife.

gretchen

I don't miss bananas or tomatoes. Pineapple, though, what a bummer.

montmorency

Trouble is, when you get rid of the seeds, you get rid of some of the flavour (in that sort of jelly that the seeds are in).

Anyway, I was going to say that if one is going to eat tomatoes, then perhaps good home-grown ones might be the way to go. They should taste better (also depending on the variety), can be free of pesticides, etc, and if your soil is well-nourished, might have a better selection of nutrients. I don't know about the serotonin, etc, though.

Amazoniac

Right now, I'm getting at least a pineapple's worth of vitamin C per day
Travisord, I used to think that all pineapples are harsh on digestion but just like with everything else: it varies. And the harshness can be related the type, the ripeness, the quality, and so on.
On an unfair note, there are some genetically modified-to-the-extreme varieties being produced right now that are unbelievable. They managed to improve juiciness, reduce bitterness and increase sweetness, minimize tough fibers, and even make the peel more attractive. I'm confused if I should use ((( or )))

The Pineapple Express (IPO Publication): Popular Pineapple Cultivars : A perspective from India

Last edited:

Xisca

fine without the seeds.

Peel and seeds have lectins...
I remove all this, from garden tomatos by making a tomato sauce. Cooking tomatos make also lycopene more avilable, This I do nt mind as I have yellow tomato!! Makes a nice sauce.... then I heat the egg white in it until thick but no more. I add the raw yolk after or do something else with it....

Travis

Travisord, I used to think that all pineapples are harsh on digestion but just like with everything else: it varies. And the harshness can be related the type, the ripeness, the quality, and so on.
On an unfair note, there are some genetically modified-to-the-extreme varieties being produced right now that are unbelievable. They managed to improve juiciness, reduce bitterness and increase sweetness, minimize tough fibers, and even make the peel more attractive. I'm confused if I should use ((( or )))

The Pineapple Express (IPO Publication): Popular Pineapple Cultivars : A perspective from India

'Del Monte took 73-114, which it dubbed MD-2, to its plantations in Costa Rica, found it to be well-suited to growing there, and launched it publicly in 1996.'

The Del Monte pineapples are much better than the rest. I think most bad experiences with pineapples can be attributed to other varieties. I don't particularly like Wal‐Mart, but they are one national retailer which sells exclusively the Del Monte Gold pineapple. Hopefully, your favourite grocery store will sell Del Monte pineapples—and not Dole pineapples.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The Del Monte pineapples are much better than the rest. I think most bad experiences with pineapples can be attributed to other varieties. I don't particularly like Wal‐Mart, but they are one national retailer which sells exclusively the Del Monte Gold pineapple. Hopefully, your favourite grocery store will sell Del Monte pineapples—and not Dole pineapples.
Good to know, thank you. :hattip

Amazoniac

'Del Monte took 73-114, which it dubbed MD-2, to its plantations in Costa Rica, found it to be well-suited to growing there, and launched it publicly in 1996.'

That's flavoritism with maximum prejudice.
I bet you can tell just by smell the good ones: it's possible to sense its bitterness or something off.

Travis

That's flavoritism with maximum prejudice.
I bet you can tell just by smell the good ones: it's possible to sense its bitterness or something off.
There's sometimes a problem with freeze damage, perhaps incurred during shipping. A pineapple which had been frozen is not a good pineapple. I think perhaps the bromelain could help digest some proteins, so they're less immunogenic, but eating pineapple with grains or nuts sounds downright ludicrous! [smashes table angrily with fist; silverware rattles, and neighbor's dog yelps] One old study had eliminated the allergenicity of wheat gluten with crude papain (but not crystalline papain, proving that they're other enzymes in the papain latex exudate.)

Almost reminds you of how opium is extracted, doesn't it Amazoniac? Making you want to go to Chinatown for a quick fix? or better yet, mainline (i.v.) your signature casein—pepsin hydrolysate?

Last edited:

Amazoniac

There's sometimes a problem with freeze damage, perhaps incurred during shipping. A pineapple which had been frozen is not a good pineapple. I think perhaps the bromelain could help digest some proteins, so they're less immunogenic, but eating pineapple with grains or nuts sounds downright ludicrous! [smashes table angrily with fist; silverware rattles, and neighbor's dog yelps] One old study had eliminated the allergenicity of wheat gluten with crude papain (but not crystalline papain, proving that they're other enzymes in the papain latex exudate.)

Almost reminds you of how opium is extracted, doesn't it Amazoniac? Making you want to go to Chinatown for a quick fix? or better yet, mainline (i.v.) your signature casein—pepsin hydrolysate?

This reminded me of the separation of coconut from its shell. The angelords recommend either heating or freezing to facilitate the removal, however excess of both can burst the fibers and make it mushy.
Thermal expansion - Wikipedia

Those treatments are unnecessary. However the best way to open can vary depending on the coconut. Here are some pimps exemplifying:
How to Open a Coconut and Remove the Meat
COCONUT OPENING - The Best Coconut Technique

Anyway, if you happen to get a bad pineapple, that's the way to go to minimize its harshness: either by making a jam or freezing and thawing.

Is it habitual in the US and A to make those lines in papayas as you let them ripen at home?

Last edited:

Travis

Just to add and order the post above, plans:
A: COCONUT OPENING - The Best Coconut Technique
B: How to Open a Coconut and Remove the Meat
C: How to Crack / Break a Coconut Quickly and Easily
There you have it: three effective ways of opening Westside in its maturity.
Since it's cold out, the coconuts that I have are getting the concrete floor (on porch) after being drained through the third eyelet. There exists three small indents on the top of the coconut, yet only one is easily penetrable. This hole represents the very location the sprout first makes it's appearance.

I just palm it in my right hand and quickly smash using a velocity and force determined prior, using other coconuts.

You can then keep tapping (fastest way) to create small enough pieces (about ¹⁄₈ coconut) to represent a one‐pry piece: a piece of coconut and shell that can be spoon‐pried quickly and easily. If you examine your spoons you will notice they all have different radii of curvature (unless, of course, you're one of those people)—this matters! You want to be using a spoon having a curvature matching the curvature of the coconut you are de‐shelling.

Chuck Norris just looks at it the damn thing; the shell spontaneously combusts leaving a one‐piece inner coconut with slightly‐charred exterior which he feeds half to his dog—not because he's particularly magnanimous, but because he eats other people's souls (he must save room).
But in the demo you posted, I had recognized that coconut cutting tool. If you look for Vietnamese grocery stores in your area, I think you'd be able to find one. All Vietnamese grocery stores in Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin have the same kitchen items (which I assume they all order from the same catalogue and/or purchase from the very same distrubutor who's selling them crates of young coconuts, dragonfruit, durian, rambutan, persimmon, and toasted seaweed snacks.) I do have one specialized coconut tool, of a different type, which reminds me of a french nail and could ostensibly be used as such (this makes opening coconut using it a veritable training exercise for trench warfare (perhaps for the upcoming Canadian invasion).).

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals