"fruits, including, bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes..."

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat said:
"Some fruits, including, bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people."

bradley

Re: "fruits, including, bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes...

I don't know if it's the serotonin or the histamine (or both), but if i eat too many tomatoes a few days in a row, I will get a 24 hour allergy attack with excessive sneezing, congestion, red eyes, etc..

FunkOdyssey

bradley said:
I don't know if it's the serotonin or the histamine (or both), but if i eat too many tomatoes a few days in a row, I will get a 24 hour allergy attack with excessive sneezing, congestion, red eyes, etc..

Could also be tomato lectins, as tomatos belong to the nightshades group, which are known to aggravate inflammatory and autoimmune disorders in some susceptible individuals.

nwo2012

FunkOdyssey said:
bradley said:

Could also be tomato lectins, as tomatos belong to the nightshades group, which are known to aggravate inflammatory and autoimmune disorders in some susceptible individuals.

Yes and add in all the seeds with their own built in antinutrients.

Yves

Do we know the amounts? I thought pineapple was safe and eat quite a bit when I get a chance. Does anyone know if serotonin will survive stomach acid?

narouz

Charlie said:
Ray Peat said:
"Some fruits, including, bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people."

Helpful info.
Where does that come from Charlie?

nwo2012

Yves said:
Do we know the amounts? I thought pineapple was safe and eat quite a bit when I get a chance. Does anyone know if serotonin will survive stomach acid?

Serotonin content of foods: effect on urinary excretion of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid.
Feldman JM, Lee EM.
Abstract
Using a highly specific radioenzymatic assay we determined the serotonin concentration in 80 types of foods. The following fruits had a high serotonin concentration (mean +/- SEM) expressed in micrograms/g weight: plantain 30.3 +/- 7.5; pineapple 17.0 +/- 5.1; banana 15.0 +/- 2.4; Kiwi fruit 5.8 +/- 0.9; plums 4.7 +/- 0.8; and tomatoes 3.2 +/- 0.6. Only nuts in the walnut or hickory family had a high serotonin concentration expressed in micrograms/g weight; butternuts 398 +/- 90; black walnuts 304 +/- 46; English walnuts 87 +/- 20; shagbark hickory nuts 143 +/- 23; mockernut hickory nuts 67 +/- 13; pecans 29 +/- 4; and sweet pignuts 25 +/- 8. Ingestion of these fruits and nuts resulted in an increase in urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid excretion with no change in platelet serotonin concentration. The above foods should not be eaten while a urine is being collected for 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid analysis.

Hormones do survive the gut. And do increase plasma levels.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin

narouz said:
Charlie said:
Ray Peat said:

Helpful info.
Where does that come from Charlie?
I pulled it off the net somewhere, but do not remember where. If I see it again I will give you the source.

From now on, I will try to add the source along with the quote. However, I already have a big list of quotes set aside to post and do not have the citations with them. :(