Pineapples Instead Of Other Fruits And Fibers?

L

Lord Cola

What are your thoughts and experiences on eating pineapples (not juice) instead of other fruits like oranges and grapes, and instead of fibers like carrots and bamboo shoots?

Pineapples supposedly have low soluble fiber, relatively high insoluble fiber, and relatively low lignin. They also happen to taste great, unlike carrots.

Ray Peat mentions that pineapples are high in serotonin, but I've read that "serotonin in bananas and pineapples seems to be inactivated by monoamine oxidase in the liver and/or intestines." (quote from Travis, former forum user)

yerrag

@Amazoniac likes pineapples. He just pm'ed me that it has manganese. He also likes eating it instead of juicing it, I believe. @CLASH as well. I grew up eating lots of pineapple, and didn't experience anything bad, but I wasn't paying much attention back then. I'm juicing my pineapples currently, due to my perhaps wrong interpretation of Peat's views on fiber. I should go back to eating pineapple instead of juicing it. I need the insoluble fiber especially as it does a lot to eliminate endotoxins, both from the gut as well as from bile (to keep endotoxins from getting back to the system as bile emulsified dietary long chain fats).

Raw pineapple also has the enzyme bromelain. I used to give it to my father and mother in their twilight years. They eat it before meals to help digest protein. We can do that as well, to conserve our use of enzymes so it can be used elsewhere in the. body.

Two per week for years is how much I have eaten them. Like yerrag, I'm after the bromelain. A thick slice with the last meal of the day I thought would help digest 80 grams of zero-fat dairy protein. Never considered fibre or serotonin, but I did see a 100% pineapple juice in the refrigerated section of a supermarket the other day with high potassium and folate labelled (from the brand Coolbest) which I want to try.

yerrag

as long as its ripe then you are good.
Yes, much unlike papaya where the papain, another proteolytic enzyme, is more abundant in unripe or green papaya.

Amazoniac

Preparing pineapfel jam/marmalade a few times should make bromelain and vitamins cry while softening the fiber due to prolonged heat, so you'll have a better idea if you're after the minerals in it.

- Effect of Temperature on the Stability of Fruit Bromelain from Smooth Cayenne Pineapple

upload_2019-12-10_6-37-49.png

It's reinforced below, but here we's after destruction because we have the appetite for it (Roses, 1987):
- Pineapfel Sorbet

What I've learned eating pineapple with meals daily is it does greatly improve digestion bus after about a month it caused inflammation all over GI tract. I clearly overdid it. Bromelain is that powerful.

And ripe pineapple should have not only protease enzyme bromelain but amylase too because ripening turns starches into sugars. Anyways I wasn't able to find any paper to prove amylase content of pineapple but there lots of studies about other fruits. Seems to me I just over did it. Moreover pineapple has pancreatic lipase inhibitors.

All this I believe makes pineapple an ultimate digestion support supplement. Improved starches and protein assimilation with "orlistat-like" effect on dietary fats. Speaking vulgarly pineapple a day takes your farts away. I just have to figure out proper dose and regime for it.

OP
L

Lord Cola

Sounds like pulpy pineapple juice could be pretty good as nourishment and for reducing endotoxin. It would be convenient to forego the usual fibers like carrot salad and mushrooms, which remain nuisances every day, and eat pineapple or pulpy pineapple juice instead. Just the thought of eating carrots causes enough stress that serotonin in pineapples might not be as bad. I half joke.

yerrag

Pineapples supposedly have low soluble fiber, relatively high insoluble fiber, and relatively low lignin. They also happen to taste great, unlike carrots.

I can't believe that pineapple only have 1g fiber per 100g. I looked at nutritional data - it says 1.4 g. And then I did a Yandex search of "fruits highest in insoluble fiber -soluble" as my Google search gives shitty results and keeps pushing cereal-based and vegetable-based sources of fiber (I trust a Russian search engine more), and I come up with this list (and it doesn't break it down into soluble and insoluble though):

29 Fruits High in Fiber

Passion-fruits is highest at 10%. Avocado and guava at 7%.

I don't understand why pineapple is so low in fiber. It sure looks like there's a lot of fiber in it.

OP
L

Lord Cola

I can't believe that pineapple only have 1g fiber per 100g.
It varies between papers, but pineapple seems to be largely moisture. Examples of fruits that are higher in fiber are sapota, guava, dates, pear, etc., according to a study (Ramlu, Punna., Raho, Paruchuri Udayasekhara., 2003. Total insoluble and soluble dietary fiber contents of indian fruits. J. Food Compos. Anal. 677–685).

I trust a Russian search engine more

Risky behavior.

I think fiber content of pineapple is much higher than 1-1.4 per 100 g but studies keep popping up with this number.

yerrag

Risky behavior.

I think fiber content of pineapple is much higher than 1-1.4 per 100 g but studies keep popping up with his number.
It appears higher to me as well.

It was more risky to trust Google to give me results relevant to my search for fruits (not cereal, not vegetables) that contain the most insoluble fiber (not soluble). Google gives me irrelevant answers. In fact, it's answers are useless. It's not that they have bad algorithms, it's that they want to sell me soluble fibers from cereals that cause me to get sick so I can patronize their sponsors' goods and services. Risky.

Sound strange. My Google search is always perfectly matching and never pushing something. This sounds strange to me, I mean I can't even imagine the situation you describe. I use Google in 3 languages. And I even use Google if I search in Russian. Sorry but it sounds to me like a lack of searching skill.

yerrag

Sound strange. My Google search is always perfectly matching and never pushing something. This sounds strange to me, I mean I can't even imagine the situation you describe. I use Google in 3 languages. And I even use Google if I search in Russian. Sorry but it sounds to me like a lack of searching skill.
Sorry, I'm not as smart you seem to think you are. My apologies.

I'm not trying to offend you and I'm not saying I'm smarter. Sorry if it sounds like this for you. I apologise.

Check this. Yandex results for "pineapple fiber content"
Screenshot_20191213-105717.png Screenshot_20191213-105730.png Screenshot_20191213-105740.png

yerrag

I'm not trying to offend you and I'm not saying I'm smarter. Sorry if it sounds like this for you. I apologise.
That's fine. Search and Peating come hand and hand.

The most relevant results I get by refining "pineapple fiber content" into "pineapple pulp fiber content" because the former leads mostly to studies of pineapple leaf and rind wastes fiber.

yerrag

The most relevant results I get by refining "pineapple fiber content" into "pineapple pulp fiber content" because the former leads mostly to studies of pineapple leaf and rind wastes fiber.
Google and Yandex "fruits with most insoluble fiber - soluble" and then compare