Sleep Quality After Aspirin Is Terrible!

ddjd

Does anyone understand why when I take Aspirin before bed, it's great at getting me to sleep but when I wake up, a 7 hour sleep feels like 3 hour sleep. And the whole day after I'm just drained with zero energy.

I've been using Aspirin for years and only on the odd occasion do I use it before bed now because of this.

Any idea why it happens?

kreeese

That is really odd! On the occasion that I have taken some aspirin before bed I slept like a baby and felt incredible....tell me more???

Mossy

I get this as well, with white willow bark (natural aspirin). As you say, it does get me to sleep, but I feel off the next day. For this reason, I only take very small amounts, and not every night, to counter vitamin K2.

Maybe it's the blood thinning that is doing something to the system. I know that I can count on having the veins on my temples engorged for at least the next day, after taking a low to med amount of white willow bark--which I don't like.

For the record, my body is in a poor state and I don't do well with many supplements. So, maybe there is another factor at play here.

sladerunner69

Aspirin is great for helping me fall asleep but then I wake up feeling tired and I think it is giving me some minor neuropathy as well.

Frankdee20

Sometimes Aspirin can stimulate metabolism, or induce hunger. So at night, it’s tough to sleep if hungry, I don’t know.

Soren

Forum Supporter
I've had a similar experience with aspirin before bed.

I think this is due to the fact that Aspirin has a strong ability to lower cortisol which is great for falling asleep and relaxing but cortisol is what wakes you up in the morning.

That is why eating before bed helps with sleep because it lowers cortisol and delays the morning cortisol spike that helps you wake up.

I find i have the same problem if i take Theanine before bed, sleep well but wake up feeling groggy.

Mossy

Lutzzy

Take an ounce of citrate of magnesium from the Dollar General ($1.25) in the laxative aisle a shot glass will do. Comes in Cherry, grape and lemon, and will not break your budget . 10 oz bottle. The perfect aspirin pain reliever was "Bufferin" a mixture of magnesium and aspirin. I told a friend that had charlie horses (leg cramps in the night) and she said when she got them she went to the refrigerator and got a teaspoon of French's mustard and chased it with a glass of water and the craps were gone by the time she got back in bed....Magnesium acts like muscle relaxer great for headaches, sore muscles, leg cramps, sleep aid, and most people are magnesium deficient. drink the whole bottle at a time and it will be a laxative. I also like the yellow glasses when watching TV and on the computer at night...Jack Kruse theory on blue light and sleep. Even the dollar tree has amber or yellow blue blocker glasses...$15 in Walmart for yellow lense glasses...or get them online...I sleep like a baby lately. Of course a warm bath with epsom salts and baking soda before bed would be a good choice too. Wal mart also has essential oils for sleep in the vitamin aisle for $3 that you can rub on your feet with sunflower oil or coconut oil and just a couple drops on your soles of your feet before your socks. I get my sunflower oil there too, it comes from the UKraine... one for salads and one for cooking. In the food section they have extracts of Rosemary and peppermint...made by our old friend Watkins company. you can also order from wally World (as the kids call Walmart) online now too, so Amazon watch out you are going to have competition.

Frankdee20

Lutzy, I do that exact thing. Can’t afford my Magnesium Glycine from Pure Encapsulations right now. So 30 ml of the laxative (1 ounce) supplies roughly 300 mg of citrate. If anyone needs to know.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I tried aspirin before bed last night and it completely ruined my sleep.
Usually I get well over 2 hours deep sleep.

Attachments

• IMG_2468.PNG
    IMG_2468.PNG
    89.1 KB · Views: 105

milk_lover

I tried aspirin before bed last night and it completely ruined my sleep.
Usually I get well over 2 hours deep sleep.
How much aspirin did you take? Did you take it with a lot of sugar? Some people don't do that well with aspirin I've noticed. My father who appears to be in good health (knock on wood) doesn't react well to aspirin. Niacinamide in low doses maybe less than 50mg with Coca Cola or Pepsi is good sleeping aid if you can tolerate it.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

@Mossy @Lokzo @sladerunner69

Have any of you ever tried regular Niacin b3 before bed?

Just like aspirin, just 50mg sends me right off to sleep within minutes but I will wake up the next day feeling like I barely got an hour.

I wonder if it's related to methyl groups. Niacin depletes methyl groups, I wonder if Aspirin maybe does too.

When I have a high Methionine protein source before bed I usually sleep very very well and wake up feeling great.

Would be interesting to hear your experiences of Methionine rich meals on sleep quality

bleaktooth

@Joeyd I experienced this for ages before I figured it out. I think its the fact that taking aspirin at night lowers dopamine the next day, and taking aspirin in the morning raises dopamine. I think there's a circadian effect with aspirin to be considered. Dopamine and serotonin are like a see-saw, one high the other low, though I'm sure you know this.

'In conclusion, aspirin taken at bedtime compared with on awakening significantly diminished 24-hour plasma renin activity and excretion of cortisol, dopamine, and norepinephrine in 24-hour urine. Decreased activity of these pressor systems forms a biologically plausible explanation for the finding that aspirin at night may reduce blood pressure, whereas aspirin at morning does not. (Hypertension. 2009;54:1136-1142.)'

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
How much aspirin did you take? Did you take it with a lot of sugar? Some people don't do that well with aspirin I've noticed. My father who appears to be in good health (knock on wood) doesn't react well to aspirin. Niacinamide in low doses maybe less than 50mg with Coca Cola or Pepsi is good sleeping aid if you can tolerate it.

Well I used a hefty dose of Meadowsweet, literally just before bed. I did have a massive carb meal before it. However, that day I definitely did not have enough sugar. My thyroid is essentially at the topic end of th range (Bordering on HYPERthyroid). However, I also have extremely low cortisol production.

I think I did try Niacin once before bed, noticed a similar effect.

Might have to re-run the experiment with my oura ring.

Mossy

Just like aspirin, just 50mg sends me right off to sleep within minutes but I will wake up the next day feeling like I barely got an hour.

I wonder if it's related to methyl groups. Niacin depletes methyl groups, I wonder if Aspirin maybe does too.

When I have a high Methionine protein source before bed I usually sleep very very well and wake up feeling great.

Would be interesting to hear your experiences of Methionine rich meals on sleep quality
Funny you ask. That is something I’ve been wanting to retest. As a matter of fact, I may try it tomorrow morning with creatine, when I have my coffee, to test your creatine-helps-prevent-coffee-cortisol/adrenaline-response theory. There’s another thread that states b3 potentiates creatine, which is my reason for combining these.

As for b3 before bed, I don’t remember the negative effect from it like aspirin, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve tried it. I’ll report back when I do.

Mossy

@Joeyd I experienced this for ages before I figured it out. I think its the fact that taking aspirin at night lowers dopamine the next day, and taking aspirin in the morning raises dopamine. I think there's a circadian effect with aspirin to be considered. Dopamine and serotonin are like a see-saw, one high the other low, though I'm sure you know this.

'In conclusion, aspirin taken at bedtime compared with on awakening significantly diminished 24-hour plasma renin activity and excretion of cortisol, dopamine, and norepinephrine in 24-hour urine. Decreased activity of these pressor systems forms a biologically plausible explanation for the finding that aspirin at night may reduce blood pressure, whereas aspirin at morning does not. (Hypertension. 2009;54:1136-1142.)'
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

milk_lover

Well I used a hefty dose of Meadowsweet, literally just before bed. I did have a massive carb meal before it. However, that day I definitely did not have enough sugar. My thyroid is essentially at the topic end of th range (Bordering on HYPERthyroid). However, I also have extremely low cortisol production.

I think I did try Niacin once before bed, noticed a similar effect.

Might have to re-run the experiment with my oura ring.
I am not sure about niacin, I was talking about niacinamide. They could cause the same effect for you nonetheless. Niacinamide powerfully increases metabolism I think so it's better consumed with food.

sladerunner69

I have not read into methyl groups or methionine. I generally fall asleep easier after taking aspirin, but have stopped after noticing that I wake up feeling less refreshed and am more lethargic/unemotional the next day. I have chalked it up mainly to overly-suppressing my estrogen levels, but am still not sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals