My sleep is literally like a coma. Can't wake up, feeling drunk after I do

Pufa-Puffin

You can stab me or shoot me when sleeping, it would not wake me up.

When someone is trying to wake me up, I'm aware of it, but can't control my body and bring myself out of the sleep.

Sometimes, I have extremely strong nausea, which I'm also aware of but still can't wake up.

When I somehow manage to wake up, I'm like drunk - I'm slurring words, can't walk straight, have partial amnesia and I'm disoriented.

It takes up to an hour after finally waking to get me to normal.

What could be causing this?

Rasaari

Other than the above, an infection? Bacterial/fungal could both do something like this.

redsun

When someone is trying to wake me up, I'm aware of it, but can't control my body and bring myself out of the sleep.

Sometimes, I have extremely strong nausea, which I'm also aware of but still can't wake up.

When I somehow manage to wake up, I'm like drunk - I'm slurring words, can't walk straight, have partial amnesia and I'm disoriented.

Do you get bouts of sleepiness/drowsiness throughout the day as well? If so you could have hypersomnia. Also I am assuming you get a normal 8 hours daily. If you are chronically getting little sleep then the answer is sleep deprivation.

If this is all in order, you are likely one of those types with elevated serotonin/elevated GABA which really messes with the whole excitatory neurotransmitter cascade that helps you wake up. This includes glutamate, acetylcholine, dopamine, noradrenaline, histamine, etc.

Your mind and senses should feel awake and refreshed pretty quickly after waking assuming you slept enough.

I would try eating a decent amount of meat protein for your last meal. This will provide more amino acids and choline for excitatory neurotransmission and should make waking easier.

Do you have dream recall?

OP
Pufa-Puffin

Pufa-Puffin

Do you get bouts of sleepiness/drowsiness throughout the day as well? If so you could have hypersomnia. Also I am assuming you get a normal 8 hours daily. If you are chronically getting little sleep then the answer is sleep deprivation.

If this is all in order, you are likely one of those types with elevated serotonin/elevated GABA which really messes with the whole excitatory neurotransmitter cascade that helps you wake up. This includes glutamate, acetylcholine, dopamine, noradrenaline, histamine, etc.

Your mind and senses should feel awake and refreshed pretty quickly after waking assuming you slept enough.

I would try eating a decent amount of meat protein for your last meal. This will provide more amino acids and choline for excitatory neurotransmission and should make waking easier.

Do you have dream recall?
Oh definitely, I do have bouts of sleepiness. I'm not sleep deprived, though.

I do have dream recall.

Interesting you mentioned serotonin. My problems started after a short period of SSRI use. Would meat protein be enough to fix that?

redsun

Oh definitely, I do have bouts of sleepiness. I'm not sleep deprived, though.

I do have dream recall.

Interesting you mentioned serotonin. My problems started after a short period of SSRI use. Would meat protein be enough to fix that?
Its not uncommon for SSRIs to cause these kind of problems. A large part of it can be due to 5-HT1A desensitivity that it causes. This is a "good" receptor that is actually an autoreceptor that inhibits serotonin and positively modulates other important neurotransmitters. Zinc has been shown to increase 5-HT1A sensitivity. Zinc may be worth trying to reduce serotonin and will also increase indirectly other neurotransmitter that improve wakefulness like dopamine.

Meat protein or other animal proteins with choline like eggs will help. You can do both. More protein with zinc supplementation before bed. This should make waking up easier.

OP
Pufa-Puffin

Pufa-Puffin

Its not uncommon for SSRIs to cause these kind of problems. A large part of it can be due to 5-HT1A desensitivity that it causes. This is a "good" receptor that is actually an autoreceptor that inhibits serotonin and positively modulates other important neurotransmitters. Zinc has been shown to increase 5-HT1A sensitivity. Zinc may be worth trying to reduce serotonin and will also increase indirectly other neurotransmitter that improve wakefulness like dopamine.

Meat protein or other animal proteins with choline like eggs will help. You can do both. More protein with zinc supplementation before bed. This should make waking up easier.
Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Rasaari

I have fungal overgrowth symptoms, but never have realized there could be a connection to sleep. Would you share some resources on that, please?
Well like redsun noted serotonin, which in this case causes hibernation and impairs sleep, infections and overgrowths cause increased serotonin and inflammation which cause the need for more sleep. The recent exposure to ssri could exacerbate the issue, by having suppressed SERT and antagonized the 5ht1-a like redsun said. The serotonin receptor stuff is still a bit tricky. Lisuride has some agonism on that receptor, cyproheptadine and 10methoxy harmalan could be good general anti-serotonin stuff. Aspirin could be nice for the inflammation, but if it is an infection, clearing it would be the only answer. The belching and drunkennes sounds a bit fungal like...

Last edited:
OP
Pufa-Puffin

Pufa-Puffin

Well like redsun noted serotonin, which in this case causes hibernation and impairs sleep, infections and overgrowths cause increased serotonin and inflammation which cause the need for more sleep. The recent exposure to ssri could exacerbate the issue, by having suppressed SERT and antagonized the 5ht1-a like redsun said. The serotonin receptor stuff is still a bit tricky. Lisuride has some agonism on that receptor, cyproheptadine and 10methoxy harmalan could be good general anti-serotonin stuff. Aspirin could be nice for the inflammation, but if it is an infection, clearing it would be the only answer. The belching and drunkennes sounds a bit fungal like...
How to clear fungal infection? I have tried a lot of things in the past. I'm on zero startch diet for almost a year, have used various natural antifungals, oregano oil, other essential oils, undecylenic acid, increasing stomach acid, increasing bile production... Can't say I feel any different. But I absolutely do have typical fungal infection symptoms, including thick white coat on tongue and very dry, flaky skin, darndruff...

It feels almost like my fungal overgrowth have some underlying reason that needs to be fixed first to get rid of the fungi.

K

Kaur Singh

what about the resting tone of your muscles
does this tend to go too - floppy / hypotonia?

what's your HR and temp and BP through out the day, etc

I think that before starting out on any.. substance, I would work on the B vitamins.
Try each one separately, at a small dose.
And see how you respond.
Vitamins and minerals. Find supplements without excipients. Or go the liver / brewer's yeast route, etc
Watch out for B6 - can be tricky for some.

I tended more to the opposite problem - insomnia with high resting tone (hypertonia)
though it would flip sometimes, not to the extent that you experience though.
I was so sensitive to muscle meats and fish - led right into episodes of insomnia/hypertonia/depression/despair.
What happens if you don't eat muscle meats - does it better or worse?
Try it and see

I strongly recommend to be careful and proceed with caution.
There are some that are incredibly sensitive, in ways that most are not really familiar with and it doesn't even register with them.
Don't matter how safe a substance people say it is or papers or studies - it comes down to how you interact with it.
And this can change over time.
So start low and slow with a substance, even if it is something you would think 'benign' - i.e. salt
Pay attention how your body responds and take it from there

I would read Peat's articles throughly, and listen to his interviews on whatever it is that comes up for you as you go along.

working at fixing your metabolism can lead to the 'fungus' issue resolving, without you doing anything directly for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

golder

What’s the RP consensus on the best kind of anti serotonin agent to take pre bed?

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I have fungal overgrowth symptoms, but never have realized there could be a connection to sleep. Would you share some resources on that, please?
MMS (chlorine dioxide) works against fungus:

I buy it from KV Lab:

Start slowly, one drop from each bottle into an empty, dry glass, per day. The drops have to mix. Wait up to 30 sec, then add water and drink it. Work yourself up to three drops activated (3+3 drops) and see if that is enough. The ‘Protocol 1000’ calls for 3 activated drops each hour for eight hours for severe health issues, that is a total of 24 activated drops per day. Do not take it with vitamin C or other vitamins. You can add a little bit of baking soda to neutralize any remaining acid once you have added water. Keep away from children like any chemicals.

youngsinatra

Do you know your vitamin D level?

Back
Top Bottom