Rhonda Patrick Is Mega-dosing Fish Oil

So I watched this and I thought for a second...hmmm maybe RP is wrong about the PUFAs

I took 4 caps of fish oil (whatever her recommendation was) -- my skin got super oily, started shedding hair, just looked disgusting.

She can probably get away with it because women have some protective hormones that prevent hair loss to that extent.

Fish Oil has to be the biggest scam.

Runenight201

I thought the general consensus here was that while following the strict Peat diet is questionable as to it's efficacy, his stance on PUFA is gospel.

Elephanto

I thought the general consensus here was that while following the strict Peat diet is questionable as to it's efficacy, his stance on PUFA is gospel.
I think some of the nuances are that linoleic acid is poorly converted into Arachidonic Acid (that would make actual Arachidonic Acid from meat and eggs a much more determinant factor of AA levels than total pufas intake) and that a minimal amount of linoleic acid is arguably required for skin and intestinal barrier integrity (at least B6 hasn't been shown to replace all of its properties). I would welcome a serie of studies by haidut specifically on linoleic acid to see all of its negative effects as there aren't many telling studies on it I can find. I even found a study that attributed it anti-estrogenic activity.

Also Omega-3s are much more estrogenic than linoleic acid despite blocking the conversion of AA into its also estrogenic metabolites.
Female rats fed a diet enriched with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids had a 48% increase in serum concentrations of 17β-estradiol compared with rats fed a diet enriched with n-6 fatty acids.18

Another PUFA has anti-estrogenic effect and inhibits linoleic acid conversion into AA . Also increases Testosterone synthesis. Though it also increases lipolysis so its effects are definitely mixed at best.
Anti-estrogenic effects of conjugated linoleic acid through modulation of estrogen receptor phosphorylation. - PubMed - NCBI

Conjugated linoleic acid reduces arachidonic acid content and PGE2 synthesis in murine keratinocytes. - PubMed - NCBI

Endurance Exercise and Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) Supplementation Up-Regulate CYP17A1 and Stimulate Testosterone Biosynthesis

Inhibitory effect of conjugated linoleic acid on linoleic acid elongation in transformed yeast with human elongase. - PubMed - NCBI
among case-control studies a weak inverse association between breast cancer risk and CLA dietary intake and serum levels among post-menopausal women was reported. Besides, a clinical trial showed that some indicator of breast tumor decreased after CLA administration among women with breast adenocarcinoma.
The effects of conjugated linoleic acids on breast cancer: A systematic review

Last edited:

danielbb

She looks far better and is more energetic than most 40 year old women I know.
I agree. She's an attractive woman and I am pretty sure all of us could look better if we were perfect in everything we do. We can wince at her PUFA suggestions but I do not see reasons to hold her in contempt. There are probably many things she does that are indeed good for one's health. If people merely cut out processed food from their diet, for example, a large part of this battle can be won. Hopefully she'll come to her senses someday on PUFA.

jitsmonkey

I agree. She's an attractive woman and I am pretty sure all of us could look better if we were perfect in everything we do. We can wince at her PUFA suggestions but I do not see reasons to hold her in contempt. There are probably many things she does that are indeed good for one's health. If people merely cut out processed food from their diet, for example, a large part of this battle can be won. Hopefully she'll come to her senses someday on PUFA.

"You see with your eyes so you are easily fooled"
-Mr. Han

Peater Piper

I always feel like there's a lot of confirmation bias here when we start evaluating looks. It almost always occurs with people whose diets and lifestyles we're already familiar with. It's very hard to remain unbiased in such a scenario.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You can look pretty darn good on all kinds of diets for quite a while.

jitsmonkey

You can look pretty darn good on all kinds of diets for quite a while.

That's like to polite way to say "you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time" sorta lol

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's like to polite way to say "you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time" sorta lol
But you can only fool yourself for so long....
After 40 it gets harder to fool anyone if your health is tanking.

Tarmander

She is pretty masculine...but she is successful and the dopamine of that success can make up for all kinds of ills.

astral kid 2

Yes I don't mean this in a judgmental way but I do try to pay attention to how people look and emote and she seems to have clammy skin (sympathetic nervous system?) and a very expressionless face and personality (thyroid / insular cortex?). While there can certainly be many causes for this (neurological, psychological, nutritional, etc.) it has always stuck out whenever I've seen her... Not sure what to make of it but I'm wondering if her excessive green smoothies and possibly fish oil consumption have something to do with it...
There's nothing wrong with her. You're both judgmental ***holes

astral kid 2

that's not judgemental, not even a little.
signed
-black pot
None of you guys know anything about her lol it's the definition of judgmental. You guys think that just because you neglect a certain nutrient out of your diet that you're all some sort of supreme beings. I cringe reading the ***t you guys say on these threads sometimes.

jitsmonkey

None of you guys know anything about her lol it's the definition of judgmental. You guys think that just because you neglect a certain nutrient out of your diet that you're all some sort of supreme beings. I cringe reading the ***t you guys say on these threads sometimes.

nothing judgmental about that either
signed
-kettle (korn)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals