Brain Damage

vlado94

Hi everybody,

I am new forum member and this is my first post. I am desperately looking for your help and any advice you could give me.
Six months ago in a tragic car accident I have lost my wife and our little baby girl suffered severe brain damage( difusse axonal injury III) and due to injury she developed epilepsy. She is having from 3 to 10 seizures per day and her medicine is Levetiracetam 2ml two times daily. Unforunately medicine is working so next week we have termin doctor to change it.
Till now I have bought many books, read so many on internet but still most of things that people recomend I am scared to give her because she is just 1 year old. I am cooking fruits and vegetables and meat and trying to feed her as good as possible. Because of occipital lobe injury doctors are not sure if she can see what makes feeding her quite difficult. One of the advice was to give her high dose of fish oil and she was on that high dose for maybe 2 months till I discoved Ray Peat forum. The biggest problem is that most of the suplements and alternative medicine therapies to mention so small children which makes my battle very difficult. It is not a problem to find infants RDA for example magnesium but which one? Malate, theornate ,citrate etc. Some of the suplements that are really good when your brain is damaged are not good to use if you have seizures( example Acety L Carnitine). Beacause she is baby her brain is still developing and thing that are good for adults may be very harmfull for her. She needs fats, sugars, cholesterol etc.
I am really sad and desperated because I have only her and would do everything I can to help her to recover as good as possible.
Dear forum members I am begging you to join this topic and if you have any advice would be much appriciated.
Sorry for my english.
Many thanks in advance!!!
Vladimir

Constatine

The safest thing I can recommend is to give her a good amount of sun exposure early in the morning and later in the day when the UV light isn't too intense. Infrared light from sunlight is neuroregenerative (make sure her head is getting exposure). Take cues from her and when she seems to feel uncomfortable stop the direct exposure. Colostrum might be helpful but ask your doctor. I would avoid most supplements that have not been tested on infants as supplements can be surprisingly dangerous. I know you are already cautious but I do stress the importance of such caution. Check with your doctor every step of the way.

Last edited:

Peatful

Hi everybody,

I am new forum member and this is my first post. I am desperately looking for your help and any advice you could give me.
Six months ago in a tragic car accident I have lost my wife and our little baby girl suffered severe brain damage( difusse axonal injury III) and due to injury she developed epilepsy. She is having from 3 to 10 seizures per day and her medicine is Levetiracetam 2ml two times daily. Unforunately medicine is working so next week we have termin doctor to change it.
Till now I have bought many books, read so many on internet but still most of things that people recomend I am scared to give her because she is just 1 year old. I am cooking fruits and vegetables and meat and trying to feed her as good as possible. Because of occipital lobe injury doctors are not sure if she can see what makes feeding her quite difficult. One of the advice was to give her high dose of fish oil and she was on that high dose for maybe 2 months till I discoved Ray Peat forum. The biggest problem is that most of the suplements and alternative medicine therapies to mention so small children which makes my battle very difficult. It is not a problem to find infants RDA for example magnesium but which one? Malate, theornate ,citrate etc. Some of the suplements that are really good when your brain is damaged are not good to use if you have seizures( example Acety L Carnitine). Beacause she is baby her brain is still developing and thing that are good for adults may be very harmfull for her. She needs fats, sugars, cholesterol etc.
I am really sad and desperated because I have only her and would do everything I can to help her to recover as good as possible.
Dear forum members I am begging you to join this topic and if you have any advice would be much appriciated.
Sorry for my english.
Many thanks in advance!!!
Vladimir
@vlado94

1- welcome; your English is excellent
2- I am so sorry for the loss of your wife.
3- much respect for advocating for your child.
4- SOMEONE PLEASE PM THIS MAN DR PEATS CONTACT INFORMATION so he can reach out to him personally

Again, deep condolences and great respect; with hope.

OP
V

vlado94

The safest thing I can recommend is to give her a good amount of sun exposure early in the morning and later in the day when the UV light isn't too intense. Infrared light from sunlight is neuroregenerative (make sure her head is getting exposure). Take cues from her and when she seems to feel uncomfortable stop the direct exposure. Colostrum might be helpful but ask your doctor. I would avoid most supplements that have not been tested on infants as supplements can be surprisingly dangerous. I know you are already cautious but I do stress the importance of such caution. Check with your doctor every step of the way.

Thank you Constatine! We are trying to a lot outside when wheather is good. I will ask doctor about Colostrum.

OP
V

vlado94

This thread might have some useful information:
Please Help My 3 Year Old Son Who His Suffering From Epilepsy
The OP has done a lot of research on the topic and may have some guidance as well.
Thank you Blossom. That threat was one of the first i have read i still follow. Problem is still the same because I do not know which and how many suplements should I give her. Seizures are result of brain injury so I will try to heal the brain if possible( neuroplasticity) and hope she will progress better and who knows maybe seizures will stop.

OP
V

vlado94

@vlado94

1- welcome; your English is excellent
2- I am so sorry for the loss of your wife.
3- much respect for advocating for your child.
4- SOMEONE PLEASE PM THIS MAN DR PEATS CONTACT INFORMATION so he can reach out to him personally

Again, deep condolences and great respect; with hope.
Thank you Peatful for kind words. I will send him an email and hope he will replay.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I am so sorry about your tragic loss and your struggle with your dear daughter.

This may not work but worth a try. Buy a grounding bed sheet for her and see if that helps in reducing the number and severity of her seizures. In addition, I have experimented with sleeping on an electrical potential (no currents are flowing) and you could insert a 9V battery in the grounding wire: Cut the grounding wire at a good accessible location and crimp the plus pole of the 9V battery clip to the end of the wire leading to the grounding bed sheet and the negative pole to the wire end that leads to the grounding plug that goes into the grounding terminal of the 110 V outlet socket. The reversed polarity (sleeping on a negative potential) gave me severe nightmares! Click at the attached image.

Grounding.jpg Grounding Wire 1.jpg

I had an amazing result with a teenager that had ADHD and would not sleep through the night. After installing a grounded shield, i.e. an aluminum fly screen from Home Depot, underneath the bed (or underneath the mattress) with the 9V battery in the grounding wire, he slept through the night and his ADHD was gone. The grandmother also had an adult autistic son, who was on meds for seizures. I also provided this grounded screen with the 9V battery for her son and she told me that when her son was sick and could not take his meds, he did not have any seizures! Although there was no direct physical contact with the metal screen it seems to help in reducing 'geopathic stress', which I think was the cause of the sleeping problem.

Also watch the video "Grounded". I personally met Dr. James Oschman and Clint Ober, they obtained amazing results with grounding.

Grounding bed sheet:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...fix=grounding+bed+,aps,219&crid=1J1DQPUFRK0W6

9V battery clips:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/keystone-electronics/232/36-232-ND/303804

Aluminum fly screen:

Saint-Gobain ADFORS 36 in. x 84 in. Bright Aluminum Insect Screen-FCS9222-M - The Home Depot

You can use this crimp tool set for the wiring:

6993F - Crimp Tool & Terminal Kit - SALE!

You may find this tool also at a local hardware or car parts store. Maybe Home Depot has them, too, they have the individual crimp terminals, they also carry wire (if you choose to try my shielding with the aluminum fly screen) and 110 V plugs. BE CAREFUL with that, you have to correctly wire only to the safety ground terminal of the three-prong plug! The grounding bed sheets also come with a ground fault detector, it determines if the outlet in your house is properly wired. Such a tester should also be available at your local Home Depot:

Gardner Bender Outlet and GFCI Tester-GFI-3501 - The Home Depot

Then after a lecture by Dr. James Oschman a few years back, I met a young man from South Lake Tahoe that came to the lecture and to meet Dr. Oschman when we sat down for lunch and he reported that he had a bad motorcycle accident that left him with slurry speech. He remembered from his childhood how pulsed magnetic fields helped his broken arm finally fuse and thought whether such a magnetic pulser could help heal his brain. He bought the 'Earth Pulse' device, and used the 'Recovery mode' a 9.6 Hz magnetic pulsation. He regained his normal speech! I have since bought one for myself and my son and it helps with our sleep.

EarthPulse PEMF Therapy Research, Reviews & Devices

Unfortunately, this is not a cheap device but it may stimulate the healing of your daughter's brain.

Then Dr. Ray Peat in his video on the biology of CO2 mentioned that a woman that suffered from a stroke and was half-sided paralyzed was given a spoon full of baking soda dissolved in water and the paralysis went completely away after 15 minutes! So small amounts of baking soda in water may help your daughter too. CO2 dilates the blood vessels, so more blood reaches through the small blood capillaries. But there may be also an effect on the brain's damaged protein (in the case of this stroke victim). The CO3- ion could make the protein fold back, by unlocking the attached ATP molecule, thereby 'resetting' it and may thereby induce healing (see Gilbert Ling).

Gilbert Ling Protein ATP.jpg

I hope your daughter will get well again.

Attachments

• Grounding.jpg
    Grounding.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 15

agnostic

Dear Vlado94

I have a 3 1/2 year old son with epilepsy and am the original poster of the thread Blossom mentioned above.

I'm so sorry for your loss and sincerely hope that you find a cure for you daughter. What kind of seizures does she have?

Regarding the best form of magnesium for epilepsy:

I give liquid magnesium glycinate from Pure Encapsulations to my son because its a highly absorbable form of magnesium that is less laxative than other forms. Furthermore, the glyince part has many additional health benefits, which have frequently been discussed on this forum. Most importantly, it is frequently the rate limiting factor for the production of glutathione. Glutathione levels are often reduced in children with epilepsy indicating oxidative stess.

Magnesium taurate might even be better because lots of studies have shown that taurine has anti-convulsive properties, although most of the evidence stems from animal research and the few human studies that exist indicate the anticonvulsive effect of taurine is diminished over time due to down regulation of GABA receptors.

Magnesium threonate is probably also a very good form. However, there are still very few human studies with this form.

Magnesium orotate might also be highly effective because the orotic acid is converted to uridine and uridine has been shown to have anticonvulsive properties in various animal models of epilepsy and even in a few small human studies.

I also gave magnesium chloride to my son for a long time and it was highly effective. Magnesium malate and magnesium gluconate are probably also good forms, but I have no experience with it.

To protect the brain of your child, I would definitely consider vitamin E. There are 5 randomized controlled trials, in which the effect of vitamin E has been investigated when added to antiepileptics. 4 of these 5 studies could show that vitamin E leads to a significant reduction of seizures. There is a lot of evidence that seizures lead to increased oxidative stress and this in turn leads to brain damage and increased proneness to further seizures. I therefore think that it makes a lot of sense to provide more antioxidants, such as vitamin E and vitamin C. The latter has also been shown to have anticonvulsive properties in numerous animal models.

Besides, vitamin C and E, giving reduced glutathione directly mightly also be highly effective. This user on amazon claims to have controlled the seizures of this dauthger by giving reduced glutathione:
Highly Recommend!

B6 is also highly important for the prevention of seizures.

OP
V

vlado94

Thanks a lot StephanF. I will for sure look more about your recomendations. PEMF seems interesting but not sure if I can use it on my daughter head because she is still very young.

I am so sorry about your tragic loss and your struggle with your dear daughter.

This may not work but worth a try. Buy a grounding bed sheet for her and see if that helps in reducing the number and severity of her seizures. In addition, I have experimented with sleeping on an electrical potential (no currents are flowing) and you could insert a 9V battery in the grounding wire: Cut the grounding wire at a good accessible location and crimp the plus pole of the 9V battery clip to the end of the wire leading to the grounding bed sheet and the negative pole to the wire end that leads to the grounding plug that goes into the grounding terminal of the 110 V outlet socket. The reversed polarity (sleeping on a negative potential) gave me severe nightmares! Click at the attached image.

View attachment 9274 View attachment 9273

I had an amazing result with a teenager that had ADHD and would not sleep through the night. After installing a grounded shield, i.e. an aluminum fly screen from Home Depot, underneath the bed (or underneath the mattress) with the 9V battery in the grounding wire, he slept through the night and his ADHD was gone. The grandmother also had an adult autistic son, who was on meds for seizures. I also provided this grounded screen with the 9V battery for her son and she told me that when her son was sick and could not take his meds, he did not have any seizures! Although there was no direct physical contact with the metal screen it seems to help in reducing 'geopathic stress', which I think was the cause of the sleeping problem.

Also watch the video "Grounded". I personally met Dr. James Oschman and Clint Ober, they obtained amazing results with grounding.

Grounding bed sheet:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_14?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=grounding+bed+sheets&sprefix=grounding+bed+,aps,219&crid=1J1DQPUFRK0W6

9V battery clips:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/keystone-electronics/232/36-232-ND/303804

Aluminum fly screen:

Saint-Gobain ADFORS 36 in. x 84 in. Bright Aluminum Insect Screen-FCS9222-M - The Home Depot

You can use this crimp tool set for the wiring:

6993F - Crimp Tool & Terminal Kit - SALE!

You may find this tool also at a local hardware or car parts store. Maybe Home Depot has them, too, they have the individual crimp terminals, they also carry wire (if you choose to try my shielding with the aluminum fly screen) and 110 V plugs. BE CAREFUL with that, you have to correctly wire only to the safety ground terminal of the three-prong plug! The grounding bed sheets also come with a ground fault detector, it determines if the outlet in your house is properly wired. Such a tester should also be available at your local Home Depot:

Gardner Bender Outlet and GFCI Tester-GFI-3501 - The Home Depot

Then after a lecture by Dr. James Oschman a few years back, I met a young man from South Lake Tahoe that came to the lecture and to meet Dr. Oschman when we sat down for lunch and he reported that he had a bad motorcycle accident that left him with slurry speech. He remembered from his childhood how pulsed magnetic fields helped his broken arm finally fuse and thought whether such a magnetic pulser could help heal his brain. He bought the 'Earth Pulse' device, and used the 'Recovery mode' a 9.6 Hz magnetic pulsation. He regained his normal speech! I have since bought one for myself and my son and it helps with our sleep.

EarthPulse PEMF Therapy Research, Reviews & Devices

Unfortunately, this is not a cheap device but it may stimulate the healing of your daughter's brain.

Then Dr. Ray Peat in his video on the biology of CO2 mentioned that a woman that suffered from a stroke and was half-sided paralyzed was given a spoon full of baking soda dissolved in water and the paralysis went completely away after 15 minutes! So small amounts of baking soda in water may help your daughter too. CO2 dilates the blood vessels, so more blood reaches through the small blood capillaries. But there may be also an effect on the brain's damaged protein (in the case of this stroke victim). The CO3- ion could make the protein fold back, by unlocking the attached ATP molecule, thereby 'resetting' it and may thereby induce healing (see Gilbert Ling).

View attachment 9275

I hope your daughter will get well again.

OP
V

vlado94

Dr Peat said to give her: milk, eggs, OJ, liver. He had also said to give her Vitamin D and E, progestrone and nicotinamide.
I just do not know how much Vitamin D and E should I give her and the same goes for progestrone and nicotinamide.

What did Dr Peat say

OP
V

vlado94

Thanks a lot agnostic for reply!

I would love to give her everything you have mentioned but I do not know right dosage for Vitamin E, C and Glutathione.
I have spend today few hours on internet loooking for Pure encapsulation liguid magnesium and was not able to find it in europe unforunately.

Dear Vlado94

I have a 3 1/2 year old son with epilepsy and am the original poster of the thread Blossom mentioned above.

I'm so sorry for your loss and sincerely hope that you find a cure for you daughter. What kind of seizures does she have?

Regarding the best form of magnesium for epilepsy:

I give liquid magnesium glycinate from Pure Encapsulations to my son because its a highly absorbable form of magnesium that is less laxative than other forms. Furthermore, the glyince part has many additional health benefits, which have frequently been discussed on this forum. Most importantly, it is frequently the rate limiting factor for the production of glutathione. Glutathione levels are often reduced in children with epilepsy indicating oxidative stess.

Magnesium taurate might even be better because lots of studies have shown that taurine has anti-convulsive properties, although most of the evidence stems from animal research and the few human studies that exist indicate the anticonvulsive effect of taurine is diminished over time due to down regulation of GABA receptors.

Magnesium threonate is probably also a very good form. However, there are still very few human studies with this form.

Magnesium orotate might also be highly effective because the orotic acid is converted to uridine and uridine has been shown to have anticonvulsive properties in various animal models of epilepsy and even in a few small human studies.

I also gave magnesium chloride to my son for a long time and it was highly effective. Magnesium malate and magnesium gluconate are probably also good forms, but I have no experience with it.

To protect the brain of your child, I would definitely consider vitamin E. There are 5 randomized controlled trials, in which the effect of vitamin E has been investigated when added to antiepileptics. 4 of these 5 studies could show that vitamin E leads to a significant reduction of seizures. There is a lot of evidence that seizures lead to increased oxidative stress and this in turn leads to brain damage and increased proneness to further seizures. I therefore think that it makes a lot of sense to provide more antioxidants, such as vitamin E and vitamin C. The latter has also been shown to have anticonvulsive properties in numerous animal models.

Besides, vitamin C and E, giving reduced glutathione directly mightly also be highly effective. This user on amazon claims to have controlled the seizures of this dauthger by giving reduced glutathione:
Highly Recommend!

B6 is also highly important for the prevention of seizures.

OP
V

vlado94

I have read here on forum many good things about light therapy. I have send an e mail to Redlightman explaining situation and asked for recomended device but for more than a week I have not recieved any reply. If anybody here can recommmend their advice that I can use on her head and body that would be great.

Peatful

I have read here on forum many good things about light therapy. I have send an e mail to Redlightman explaining situation and asked for recomended device but for more than a week I have not recieved any reply. If anybody here can recommmend their advice that I can use on her head and body that would be great.
I would do exactly as Dr Peat says.
For the D and E give topically if you can. @haidut has good topicals but not sure about shipping internationally?
Healing for your little one - and may you not grow weary or discouraged along the way. A Fathers love is a powerful thing.

HDD

I would do exactly as Dr Peat says.
For the D and E give topically if you can. @haidut has good topicals but not sure about shipping internationally?
Healing for your little one - and may you not grow weary or discouraged along the way. A Fathers love is a powerful thing.
+10
@vlado94 maybe you should email Ray Peat again and ask him what would be the appropriate dosages for your daughter based on age/weight.

agnostic

Thanks a lot agnostic for reply!

I would love to give her everything you have mentioned but I do not know right dosage for Vitamin E, C and Glutathione.
I have spend today few hours on internet loooking for Pure encapsulation liguid magnesium and was not able to find it in europe unforunately.

I also live in Europe and am able to order Pure encapsulation liguid magnesium from the US via Ebay.

I give about 300 mg mixed tocopherols (1 bump from the Health Natura Vitamin E) per day to my son who weighs about 16 kilo. In a study with epileptic children (average age = 10), 400 I.U. alpha tocopherol was given without side effects:
A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of D-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), as add-on therapy, for epilepsy in children. - PubMed - NCBI

However, since you daughter is only 1 year old, I would adjust it downwards a little bit. I would also ask Ray Peat about the right dose.

I have not tried Vitamin C and Glutathione on my son. However, I think both substances are quite safe in children. Vitamin C could cause diarrhea if the dose is too high and according to Ray Peat, it can also be allergenic. So, natural vitamin C from camu camu or amla powder might be better. Another possibility is to use liposomal vitamin C, which is much better absorbed and does not cause diarrhea in higher dose. However, almost all liposomal vitamin C supplements are high in PUFAs. Here's an interesting review on vitamin C and epilepsy:
Vitamin C: a new auxiliary treatment of epilepsy? - PubMed - NCBI

If you buy glutathione, I would take care that the product does not contain any additives that can cause problems (e.g. silicon dioxide). There exists also liposomal glutathione and products that can be applied topically, which might be better.

Last edited:

Oh, this is quite helpful, thanks.