Red Light That's Not So Hot?

Peata

I have two "chicken lamps", but rarely use them because I don't like how hot they are. Is there a way to get the benefit of red light without so much heat? Might be a silly question, but some types of lights put out less heat than others.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
In the warmer months I use incandescent or halogen bulbs with clear glass. Currently I have a floor lamp (pretty inexpensive from Target) that holds three bulbs and it's adjustable so I can point all three lights toward me instead of out in the room. Right now I'm sitting with it next to me and it's quite bright but not hot at all. I use 100 or 150 watt bulbs.

I don't know if it's as therapeutic as some of the fancier set ups but it seems to work ok for me. It's definitely better than nothing which I was doing after my chicken lamp broke.

OP
Peata

Peata

In the warmer months I use incandescent or halogen bulbs with clear glass. Currently I have a floor lamp (pretty inexpensive from Target) that holds three bulbs and it's adjustable so I can point all three lights toward me instead of out in the room. Right now I'm sitting with it next to me and it's quite bright but not hot at all. I use 100 or 150 watt bulbs.

I don't know if it's as therapeutic as some of the fancier set ups but it seems to work ok for me. It's definitely better than nothing which I was doing after my chicken lamp broke.
Thanks, Blossom. How far from the lights are you?

OP
Peata

Peata

Are the three bulbs you're using now halogen?

OP
Peata

Peata

Yeah, I figure any light will be better than nothing. Now that Fall's coming on, I have a feeling I will need the boost from red light. I thought about going to a tanning bed, but have mixed feelings about it. So it would be best to sit under red light in the morning when I'm catching up online and writing.

Any certain time of day you find is best for red light?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks, Blossom. How far from the lights are you?
About arms length. I can touch the bottom two and the top one is just slightly beyond my reach. The lights are staggered on the stand if that makes sense.

OP
Peata

Peata

About arms length. I can touch the bottom two and the top one is just slightly beyond my reach. The lights are staggered on the stand if that makes sense.
Yeah, I know what kind of stand you're talking about. Used to have one or two myself.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Any certain time of day you find is best for red light?
I notice a nice boost from them in the morning for about 30 minutes before going to work. I'm trying for a total of two hours spread throughout the day. Benedicte mentioned that using them before bed was helpful for lowering cortisol but I haven't yet started doing that again. I remember it being relaxing in the past.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I realized that's pretty vague so I just measured and from my armpit to the palm of my hand is 21 inches.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably look for my lights and stand next week when I'm not working so much.

OP
Peata

Peata

Oops, sorry, one more question. I should know better by now not to say, "one last question."

It's about the direction the lights are shining on you. Do have have them coming down on you from the side or ?

explosionlord

I have the Philips Hue lights in my bedroom. They're LED, so they are never hot to the touch and don't make me feel like I'm in a tanning bed. They're obviously costly, but I love that I can change their color on a whim!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Oops, sorry, one more question. I should know better by now not to say, "one last question."

It's about the direction the lights are shining on you. Do have have them coming down on you from the side or ?
Right now I'm using 3 of the 100watt halogen bulbs just because that's what I could find easily near my home. They are slightly above me and I have them pointing down on me. The way they are placed on the stand two shine mostly toward my sides and one is centered.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I ordered some stronger bulbs off Amazon today in preparation for winter. They are 150 watts each so two or three should work nicely. I noticed they have 200 watt bulbs as well. It's impossible to find anything over 100 watts in the stores where I live. 100 watts seems o.k. for now since it's barely Fall here but I'm trying not to let winter sneak up on me. Just thought I'd share this with you @Peata. 81sOuuEKIrL._SL1500_.jpg

Dan W

If we take a guess that a lot of the benefits of red light are from cytochrome c oxidase absorption, we can theoretically cut heat by using energy only in the optimum wavelengths:
opti.gif

(from the HeelSpurs.com LED page)

I've experimented with that in the hot summer months by using 630/660/850nm LEDs in place of one of my Dan-roasting incandescents. It's hard to say whether there's any difference in effectiveness, but it definitely keeps me cooler.

raypeatclips

Peat has mentioned the benefits of sitting infront of a fire coming from being hot and raising the bodies temperature. How come you don't like the heat from the red lights? I'd imagine the heat gives benefits as well as the beneficial wavelengths from the lights.

milk_lover

Peat has mentioned the benefits of sitting infront of a fire coming from being hot and raising the bodies temperature. How come you don't like the heat from the red lights? I'd imagine the heat gives benefits as well as the beneficial wavelengths from the lights.

Man I have to thank you for your amazing small clips of Peat. I actually was searching the other night about something (forgot what it was) and I saw a video clip made by you that answered my question. It's very fast and practical idea. Keep up the awesome work as I am sure many besides me are getting benefits from your work. And yes heat is awesome. I emailed dr. Peat a while ago about my heat lamps and he was positive about them. I think they definitely help with metabolism confirmed by my fast heart pulse.

raypeatclips

Man I have to thank you for your amazing small clips of Peat. I actually was searching the other night about something (forgot what it was) and I saw a video clip made by you that answered my question. It's very fast and practical idea.

Excellent! Thank you for this review! This was exactly the reason I created the channel in the first place and you are the first person I know about that has done it. :) Out of curiosity, what was the question it answered for you?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals