Red Light That's Not So Hot?

Peater Piper

So I get the reason for red light and short duration spot treatments on specific areas (scalp, thyroid, etc.), but what's the best option for lighting during the winter months? Ideally it would be something I could tolerate for many hours a day since it would be replacing the 3+ hours I typically spend outdoors during the winter months. Halogen and/or Incandescent? Are they safe for unlimited use assuming a safe distance is maintained?

Rafe

I just started using my chicken light yesterday b/c the low light was starting to cause me some problems, the usual. In years past I've used the basic, lay-down, higher UVB tanning beds. I don't have a UV meter, but I thought 8 -10 min 2 - 3 times a wk was okay. This year I think I'm going to buy some lightweight, red, cotton fabric & make a long caftan or body cover to put over me in the tanning bed to make it lower-stress & safer. The tanning bed package is cheap & convenient, but this would improve on it.

The incandescents first thing in the morning sound effective. I have a lamp like @Blossom 's. Better go find some bulbs.

Peater Piper

Peat has mentioned the benefits of sitting infront of a fire coming from being hot and raising the bodies temperature. How come you don't like the heat from the red lights? I'd imagine the heat gives benefits as well as the beneficial wavelengths from the lights.
Not sure I'd want the heat during the summer months when I could just go outside for a few minutes to warm up, but during the winter months I could see the heat being a welcome addition to the red light and a good book.

milk_lover

Excellent! Thank you for this review! This was exactly the reason I created the channel in the first place and you are the first person I know about that has done it. :) Out of curiosity, what was the question it answered for you?
Ray Peat on free metal supplements of zinc, iron, copper. I went to your channel and I looked it up :) I have zinc picolinate supplement and I always hear from here that Peat is against zinc supplements (he used to recommend it, but his views change I think), but I wanted to listen to what he says about it. On his website, he didn't mention zinc supplements.

raypeatclips

Ray Peat on free metal supplements of zinc, iron, copper. I went to your channel and I looked it up :) I have zinc picolinate supplement and I always hear from here that Peat is against zinc supplements (he used to recommend it, but his views change I think), but I wanted to listen to what he says about it. On his website, he didn't mention zinc supplements.

Oh yes I remember the video. That is basically what I want the channel to be, another avenue for people to search before emailing Peat a question. I try to describe the titles so that people could search a single word they are wanting to know more about, and come up with a list of videos answering the question they have. :)

milk_lover

Oh yes I remember the video. That is basically what I want the channel to be, another avenue for people to search before emailing Peat a question. I try to describe the titles so that people could search a single word they are wanting to know more about, and come up with a list of videos answering the question they have. :)
+1
It's good so we don't bother Peat with repetitive questions, I am guilty of doing that because sometimes I don't dig enough before asking.

Rafe

Correction: my chicken lamp is a reptile lamp. It gives off heat, but what a great stress buster in the really cold months.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals