Beurer IL 50 - 300W For Face?

Sugar Ray 2

After learning about the 'benefits' of red light therapy, I started using the Beurer IL 50 - 300W which was sitting at home over the past week. I used it without much precaution for 15 minutes over a week long period.

I would use it for a total of 15 minutes whilst holding the lamp roughly 3 inches away from the face. I would direct it in front of my face for 5 minutes, and then a further 5 minutes to either side. I would also keep my eyes closed without wearing any goggles. It seemed to work, my face would feel warm from the heat and light emanating from the device. My face would glow after I finished using it, with a slight reddishness on the cheeks. My face would on the whole look noticeably improved, almost like how it does after a sauna session.

So far so good, but then I decided to do actual scientific research on red light therapy to find out more, and that's left me with more questions than it has answers.

It seems like red light therapy is beneficial only when used properly and can be very harmful if not.

The device I have is designed with ceramic glass, so it does not emit UV rays, however from my research it seems that you can damage the eyes via the heat from the device. I went and bought protection goggles, but it doesn't seem like that would actually protect me from the danger of the heat?

I also would hold the device a few inches from the face, but apparently you should hold it 30cm away from any body part. I contacted Beurer and they said that I should hold it from that distance, however if I did use it closer, then I should use goggles. So it seems that it is fine after all to hold it much closer?

The research also indicates that collagen production occurs somewhere in the region of 600-800nm, however the product I have is 1250nm. Whilst, there is no research to support or advise against the use of a 1250nm device for the face, I wonder if it would have any benefits?

Finally, the device gives off noticeable heat but apparently that is dangerous?

I've not even begin to determine irradiation and dosage levels, which has left me scratching my head.

I would appreciate any guidance.

ifg7

Hi, I have exactly the same lamp and use it the same way as you @Sugar Ray 2 and also was wondering if it is ok?
Does anyone know anything? Thanks!

tankasnowgod

The research also indicates that collagen production occurs somewhere in the region of 600-800nm, however the product I have is 1250nm. Whilst, there is no research to support or advise against the use of a 1250nm device for the face, I wonder if it would have any benefits?

Finally, the device gives off noticeable heat but apparently that is dangerous?

I've not even begin to determine irradiation and dosage levels, which has left me scratching my head.

Well, I'm not familiar with the device, so I can't comment on safety.

If the device is only giving off 1250nm, then you would not see any visible light from the device when it's on, whatsoever. If you can see some red light or redish glow, than there is certainly some light coming from the 600-800nm spectrum. From a quick search, it does appear that device throws visible red, and indeed, lots of light in that spectrum.

Noticeable heat isn't necessarily dangerous, after all, infrared heaters are very popular. In fact, if you've ever been in a car and felt heat from the sun through the window, that's infrared heat right there. Any dangers would have to do with dose and concentration.

What research were you looking at? A lot of the research used Low Level Lasers, which could carry dangers that won't apply to a lot of consumer level products. Of course, to get the benefit of anything, it has to be used properly.

OP
S

Sugar Ray 2

@tankasnowgod I definitely see a reddish flow emanating from the device. I saw someone receive an answer from Beurer stating;

Thank you for your interest in our products specifically our infrared heat lamps. Please note that currently only our infrared heat lamp model number IL 50 has been approved for sale in the North American market. The IL 50 uses near to mid infrared light. The complete wave length range (spectral output) of the IL 50 infrared heat lamp is (in nanometers) from 500nm to a peak of 2500nm.
* Short wave range = IRA 800 to 1400nm
* Middle wave range = IRB 1400nm to 3000nm

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals