Ray Peat Is Missing Teeth

I just went to the dentist last week after 3+ years off. I remember vividly last visit he spent a lot of time across both upper and lower teeth scaling off the calculus. This was during my low carb dairy-free, gluten-free phase. The sensitivity of my teeth made it such an ordeal, it went on forever.

This visit he spent less than 2 mins on just my bottom 4 incisors. I was pretty damn amazed.

scaling off the calculus.

Whew buddy

nikolabeacon

My 86 year old grandpa doesnt have any single teeth left and is healthy and still working. And main food in his lifetime were milk products and potatoes.

nikolabeacon

My 86 year old grandpa doesnt have any single teeth left and is healthy and still working. And main food in his lifetime were milk products and potatoes.
And he never had been to a doctor or a dentist in his life.

sladerunner69

The "losing teeth" thing has always bothered me in the back of my mind.
I'm following the nutritional advice of someone who made such a huge nutritional mistake that he lost his teeth.
That's a pretty big mistake.

Hope the diet advice most of us are reading isn't full of any other major errors.

He's a hardcore scientisst and fully commits to his experiments. Apparently he lost those teeth when eh was in his 30's and never felt he needed to ahve them replaced, which makes sense when you consider he is anti-materialist, anti-authoritarian, anti-dogma.

walker_in_aus

I just went to the dentist last week after 3+ years off. I remember vividly last visit he spent a lot of time across both upper and lower teeth scaling off the calculus. This was during my low carb dairy-free, gluten-free phase. The sensitivity of my teeth made it such an ordeal, it went on forever.

This visit he spent less than 2 mins on just my bottom 4 incisors. I was pretty damn amazed.

Same here, I have had AWFUL decay the last three years, nearly ten fillings and an extraction. Six months of peating (not even drinking oj with a straw) and using K2, not a cavity in sight. And a 5 min clean painfree instead o fifteen mins and horrible tooth sensitivity.

tara

He's a hardcore scientisst and fully commits to his experiments. Apparently he lost those teeth when eh was in his 30's and never felt he needed to ahve them replaced, which makes sense when you consider he is anti-materialist, anti-authoritarian, anti-dogma.
And possibly unnecessary anti-nickel compounds in the mouth.

tara

I've heard that the metals used to hold in plates or implants usually contain nickel, that it tends to leach, and is toxic. I was thinking that's another cost/risk to hold up against the benefit of replacing lost teeth with prosthetics.
Also heard there are dentists who say that the metals in the mouth can do unnatural things with the local electromagnetic fields, but don't know how well founded that concern is.

sladerunner69

I've heard that the metals used to hold in plates or implants usually contain nickel, that it tends to leach, and is toxic. I was thinking that's another cost/risk to hold up against the benefit of replacing lost teeth with prosthetics.
Also heard there are dentists who say that the metals in the mouth can do unnatural things with the local electromagnetic fields, but don't know how well founded that concern is.

EMF seems likely because there is that story of people eharing radi channels through their mouth especially with silver implants.

I ebleive they have fulyl composite implants now that dont pose ehavy metal dangers.

schultz

It's a little hard to downplay, though. Trying to live on mostly wheat germ and losing teeth is crazy.

The "losing teeth" thing has always bothered me in the back of my mind.
I'm following the nutritional advice of someone who made such a huge nutritional mistake that he lost his teeth.
That's a pretty big mistake.

Hope the diet advice most of us are reading isn't full of any other major errors.

I don't know if he was like "hey I'm gonna live off wheat germ for fun!". I think he was living in Mexico at the time and was very poor so he was trying to figure out a way to eat very cheaply but still get nutrients. I guess on paper wheat germ looks very nutritious. The phytic acid and high phosphorus would have caused the teeth problems I suppose. It must have been in the 60's, which is a long time ago. A lot of us come from other diet backgrounds like low carb, veganism, etc. So now nobody should trust anything we say on this forum because we used to follow different diets? That's silly reasoning.

zztr

was very poor so he was trying to figure out a way to eat very cheaply but still get nutrients.

There are a heck of a lot of very poor people in the world and none of them seem to make a mistake of that caliber. It requires a certain amount of poor judgment. There's no getting around it.

Atalanta

I don't know if he was like "hey I'm gonna live off wheat germ for fun!". I think he was living in Mexico at the time and was very poor so he was trying to figure out a way to eat very cheaply but still get nutrients. I guess on paper wheat germ looks very nutritious. The phytic acid and high phosphorus would have caused the teeth problems I suppose. It must have been in the 60's, which is a long time ago. A lot of us come from other diet backgrounds like low carb, veganism, etc. So now nobody should trust anything we say on this forum because we used to follow different diets? That's silly reasoning.

How can anyone live on a diet of mostly wheat germ?

When I was a teenager, I ate wheat germ regularly and I could never tolerate more than a couple of tablespoons either alone, added to other foods or in smoothies. I don't believe that any sane person can--or would choose to--live on a diet of mostly wheat germ.

Poor people who have never set foot inside a school, who can't sign their own names to save their lives, and know nothing about human biology or nutrition don't try to subsist on such a diet. How does one explain a man like Peat, who was raised and educated in the US, choosing such a diet and then blaming it for his health problems?

Why did Peat not eat the same foods the poor people in Mexico were eating? A diet of beans, rice, vegetables and corn would have been very affordable and also more nutritious than a wheat germ diet.

Atalanta

There are a heck of a lot of very poor people in the world and none of them seem to make a mistake of that caliber. It requires a certain amount of poor judgment. There's no getting around it.

Agreed.

I don't believe Peat's teeth were ruined by wheat germ.

I believe Peat's teeth were ruined by the excess sugar, thyroid and other hormones that he uses to keep his metabolism unnaturally high.

schultz

How can anyone live on a diet of mostly wheat germ?

When I was a teenager, I ate wheat germ regularly and I could never tolerate more than a couple of tablespoons either alone, added to other foods or in smoothies. I don't believe that any sane person can--or would choose to--live on a diet of mostly wheat germ.

Poor people who have never set foot inside a school, who can't sign their own names to save their lives, and know nothing about human biology or nutrition don't try to subsist on such a diet. How does one explain a man like Peat, who was raised and educated in the US, choosing such a diet and then blaming it for his health problems?

Why did Peat not eat the same foods the poor people in Mexico were eating? A diet of beans, rice, vegetables and corn would have been very affordable and also more nutritious than a wheat germ diet.

I never said he lived off of wheat germ... I said he was trying to get a lot of nutrition from wheat germ, and I don't even know if that is true. We don't know a lot about the guy. He is pretty private it seems.

Before we completely ridicule him for something I said (I may have made it up for all you know) maybe we should ask him?

Agreed.

I don't believe Peat's teeth were ruined by wheat germ.

I believe Peat's teeth were ruined by the excess sugar, thyroid and other hormones that he uses to keep his metabolism unnaturally high.

Again, you're guessing. Ask him maybe? He could have got punched in the face for all you know.

A lot of us come from other diet backgrounds like low carb, veganism, etc. So now nobody should trust anything we say on this forum because we used to follow different diets? That's silly reasoning.
I agree.
I also ruined my teeth by eating mostly whole grains, beans and lentils. Happened fast too.

Steve

I'm becoming mentally sick trying to figure out what to eat to be healthy.
Today I'm reading how orange juice dissolves the enamel of your teeth.
I really want to be eat healthy & be healthy.
This stuff is frustrating as hell!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals