Teeth - Concerns about acidity with RP inspired diet

OliviaD

Hello all - I am new to the forum, although have been reading for about 6 months when I discovered RP. I have been reading his books, old newsletters, and have listened to as many interviews as I can. I have recently started to incorporate his principles into my diet - and I'm really liking my sugared coffee, OJ, and Mexican Coke but have nagging anxiety about the effect of all of this acidity on my teeth. I really respect the knowledge and experience shared many here whose posts I've been reading for months.

Please be tolerant with me :) - This is my first post. I did search, and there are posts that deal with various dental issues, and some are older; but I don't see anything that addresses this directly. Also, I thought perhaps an update from some of you after more years with this diet might be helpful.

I am curious about your experiences. What can I do to mitigate this acidity, or is it not a problem? I'm really loving the Coke - I actually drank it before, but it was a rare treat. I'm feeling more freedom to down it regularly, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. but I'm having a hard time not worrying about the phosphoric acid and and sugar marinating my teeth. I try to use a straw when drinking all of the above things, to keep them off my teeth. Do many of you drink the Coke?

I'm a little paranoid about the teeth because in the past 5 or 6 years, I had dental disaster - teeth chipped, broke, decayed to the point where I now am missing 5 . They are in the back, but still I am so self conscious and embarrassed and avoid smiling in public. (I'm still deciding what to do - the dentist I was seeing wanted to do implants - I honestly think he just pulled teeth because he thought I would shell out 20K for the package deal he had come up with, but perhaps I'm cynical). Don't want to go into the past now, but the teeth went downhill the same time my GI tract did, and I was very ill, so clearly related to this.

I seem to be stable now with the teeth I have left, and don't want to lose any more. I appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thank you for 'listening' and thank you for having me on your forum. I have a lot of questions, but am going to try to space them out to not annoy anyone :)

Gânico

You can swish some baking soda after eating/drinking acidic foods.

OP
O

OliviaD

You can swish some baking soda after eating/drinking acidic foods.
Thanks - I have started doing that once in awhile. I am a 'sipper'.. i.e I almost always have a drink I'm working on throughout the day. I imagine swishing when I can is better than nothing :)

Judd Crane

Drink with a metal straw to lower the lower your teeths exposure of acidic liquid.

sunny

In the june 2022 interview with Patrick on oneradionetwork , Patrick starts a conversation about oxalate. Peat says oxalate are very hard on teeth, pulling calcium from the enamel. Peat mentioned spinach, rhubarb, and almonds.

GreekDemiGod

Frequent snacking/ meals and Coke especially will negatively impact your dental health.
I'm surprised new members still come to this forum seeing the overwhelmingly negative reports from pro-metabolic eating.

Beany

Buy some xylitol mints and eat after drinks and meals. Xylitol supports the beneficial bacteria, stops plaque sticking and also helps ph by increasing protective saliva. It definitely helped me but I stopped taking it (didn’t have mints and xylitol was cumbersome to carry around), and then had teeth problems rear their head again recently. So back to using xylitol regularly and has already helped immensely. I’m looking into buying a bulk bag of zellies mints or gum to make it easy and part of my routine.

Samya

I tend towards limiting the acidic foods and instead of making them staples have them occasionally. I also try combine with a neutralising food afterwards, like drinking some milk after eating fruit for example.

Barry

My personal experience has been that my teeth "feel" much better when I am consuming a lot of sugar (and very low PUFA). And I have problems when I consume starches and grains. You may want to research the importance of vitamin-B rich foods for gum health.