Ray Peat Is Missing Teeth

Was watching the On The Back Of Tiger Interview and in segments where ray comes on you can see he is missing teeth. Look at the bottom right of his mouth. Surely I can't be the first to notice this, although I did search online with no results.

Back of tiger interview:

5QFhhsC

hYViNrP

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Does anyone have the details on this?

But damn he has some nice hair lol

CoolTweetPete

I believe I read that he developed dental problems from experimenting with large amounts of Brewer's Yeast. Don't remember all the exact details though. Maybe someone else does.

He's 80. Give him a break. He'd just turned 78 at the time of filming that. I'd like to see you make it to 80 with all of your teeth.

CoolTweetPete

I think that was the wheat germ diet?

Yes, it was actually wheat germ not Brewer's Yeast.

I found this post by @sladerunner69

Honestly I believe this is one of the few shortcomings with a pro-metabolic diet. Have you seen Dr. Peat's teeth? They are almost brown, and quite decayed, however he claims this was due to following a wheat germ diet for many years in his 30's. It is easily overcome however, if you rinse with baking soda and floss with prudence.

Evan

Yeah I totally agree, I've been eating "peat" for a few years now and my dental health is the best by far its ever been. Granted, I brush and floss, The things that rebuild and maintain bones and teeth(vitamin A, D, K2, calcium,magnesium,etc,,) have made all of the difference. My teeth have never felt stronger.

DaveFoster

Getting a Philips SonicBrush saved my teeth. It's really as simple as thorough brushing and flossing without irritating the gums too much.

ilikecats

Ray peats comment about brushing not being important for tooth health kind of messed me up lol. I need to get back to brushing better...

mujuro

I just went to the dentist last week after 3+ years off. I remember vividly last visit he spent a lot of time across both upper and lower teeth scaling off the calculus. This was during my low carb dairy-free, gluten-free phase. The sensitivity of my teeth made it such an ordeal, it went on forever.

This visit he spent less than 2 mins on just my bottom 4 incisors. I was pretty damn amazed.

zztr

It's a little hard to downplay, though. Trying to live on mostly wheat germ and losing teeth is crazy.

Tourist

What about staining from early antibiotic use? I've read and seen that is a direct result--also coffee staining could be an issue --don't know about the impact of high acidic acids on the teeth and decay?

Yes, it was actually wheat germ not Brewer's Yeast.

I found this post by @sladerunner69

Honestly I believe this is one of the few shortcomings with a pro-metabolic diet. Have you seen Dr. Peat's teeth? They are almost brown, and quite decayed, however he claims this was due to following a wheat germ diet for many years in his 30's. It is easily overcome however, if you rinse with baking soda and floss with prudence.

Steve

The "losing teeth" thing has always bothered me in the back of my mind.
I'm following the nutritional advice of someone who made such a huge nutritional mistake that he lost his teeth.
That's a pretty big mistake.

Hope the diet advice most of us are reading isn't full of any other major errors.

Tenacity

The "losing teeth" thing has always bothered me in the back of my mind.
I'm following the nutritional advice of someone who made such a huge nutritional mistake that he lost his teeth.
That's a pretty big mistake.

Hope the diet advice most of us are reading isn't full of any other major errors.

Then don't treat Peat as an authority. He has explicitly stated that is not how he wants to be portrayed when people read his work.

Don't follow the nutritional advice of Peat, follow the nutritional advice of yourself, armed with thoughts, perceptions and actions. If something is working for you, great, if not, stop doing it.

Steve

Then don't treat Peat as an authority. He has explicitly stated that is not how he wants to be portrayed when people read his work.

Don't follow the nutritional advice of Peat, follow the nutritional advice of yourself, armed with thoughts, perceptions and actions. If something is working for you, great, if not, stop doing it.
I understand that & try to follow that advice, but most of just aren't going to know if we are damaging ourselves unless it's quite late & quite obvious.
I feel just fine when I eat salmon, or a piece of bread with margarine, or even a nasty McDonalds meal, but supposedly over time those foods would be harmful.
As far as teeth being damaged.........are my teeth worse off today than yesterday or a month ago or a year ago. I have no idea other than, "I guess they are fine, don't notice anything obvious".
A person could eat "bad" for years & not notice anything until one week they start to feel bad, go to the dr, and are told they have serious cancer.
So we kind of have to follow the advice of nutrition "experts". I really don't notice anything obviously bad no matter what I eat, but I want to be healthy when I'm older.

Tenacity

I understand that & try to follow that advice, but most of just aren't going to know if we are damaging ourselves unless it's quite late & quite obvious.
I feel just fine when I eat salmon, or a piece of bread with margarine, or even a nasty McDonalds meal, but supposedly over time those foods would be harmful.
As far as teeth being damaged.........are my teeth worse off today than yesterday or a month ago or a year ago. I have no idea other than, "I guess they are fine, don't notice anything obvious".
A person could eat "bad" for years & not notice anything until one week they start to feel bad, go to the dr, and are told they have serious cancer.
So we kind of have to follow the advice of nutrition "experts". I really don't notice anything obviously bad no matter what I eat, but I want to be healthy when I'm older.

How a person reacts to a negative substance or food is likely dependent on their current state of health - if you don't seem to notice anything bad you might already have quite a healthy and robust body, but you're right that over time you will fall sick.

Those examples you gave were all examples of high PUFA foods. Even ignoring the biochemistry side that Peat goes into at length, there are several other 'clues' as to why we shouldn't be consuming PUFA.

1) Humans likely originated in Africa, a warm country. The fats of all animals there (and even the plants, like coconut), even shallow water fish, will be mostly saturated/monounsaturated.
2) Seeds and nuts were unavailable (in high quantities) for most of human history until we discovered ways to harvest them en masse and process them.
3) Saturated fats naturally taste better than the unsaturated fats.
4) Animals with a higher body fat concentration of saturated fat seem to live longer and have higher metabolisms than those who have more unsaturated body fat stores.

You're free to interpret those facts, including the truthfulness or validity of them, and what you should do going forward, in any way you like.

Steve

How a person reacts to a negative substance or food is likely dependent on their current state of health - if you don't seem to notice anything bad you might already have quite a healthy and robust body, but you're right that over time you will fall sick.

Those examples you gave were all examples of high PUFA foods. Even ignoring the biochemistry side that Peat goes into at length, there are several other 'clues' as to why we shouldn't be consuming PUFA.

1) Humans likely originated in Africa, a warm country. The fats of all animals there (and even the plants, like coconut), even shallow water fish, will be mostly saturated/monounsaturated.
2) Seeds and nuts were unavailable (in high quantities) for most of human history until we discovered ways to harvest them en masse and process them.
3) Saturated fats naturally taste better than the unsaturated fats.
4) Animals with a higher body fat concentration of saturated fat seem to live longer and have higher metabolisms than those who have more unsaturated body fat stores.

You're free to interpret those facts, including the truthfulness or validity of them, and what you should do going forward, in any way you like.
Thanks for the PUFA info.
Right now I'm mostly following Peat, but then I also like Paul Jaminet as whenever anyone publicly debates him he always seems to have logical, well thought-out, research-based responses. I'm sure neither Peat nor Jaminet have everything exactly right as we're just not there yet. So I take what both say along with tidbits from a few others & then try to use what I think is common sense.

After reading countless nutrition articles the only thing I'm almost 100% certain of is don't eat vegetable oil. Everything else is confusing as hell because I can find 100 positive studies & then 100 negative studies on the same exact thing, and I don't have time to dive into the meticulous details of all those studies. That's why I follow Peat & Jaminet & some others that seem trustworthy. I hope they are mostly correct.

Tenacity

Thanks for the PUFA info.
Right now I'm mostly following Peat, but then I also like Paul Jaminet as whenever anyone publicly debates him he always seems to have logical, well thought-out, research-based responses. I'm sure neither Peat nor Jaminet have everything exactly right as we're just not there yet. So I take what both say along with tidbits from a few others & then try to use what I think is common sense.

After reading countless nutrition articles the only thing I'm almost 100% certain of is don't eat vegetable oil. Everything else is confusing as hell because I can find 100 positive studies & then 100 negative studies on the same exact thing, and I don't have time to dive into the meticulous details of all those studies. That's why I follow Peat & Jaminet & some others that seem trustworthy. I hope they are mostly correct.

Yeah, nutrition is confusing. A few years ago when I first became interested in physiology and health I first begun with making sure my nutritional needs were met (which involved eating countless amounts of oatcakes and toasted edamame beans, yum yum...), then I discovered Mark Sisson's brand of paleo and tried that out for a little while. Then I came across Peat's work and realised what a fool I had been. Two years later and I'm in the best condition of my life, although still far from where I'd like to be.

For me to be on board with an idea nutritionally I think a recommendation needs three things:

1) An explanation of the biochemistry behind the idea, how substances interact etc (most nutritional fads like paleo are sorely lacking in this department, and Peat excels at it).
2) A justification from an evolutionary, historic point of view (which is why I fell so easily into following paleo for a while, the idea that we should eat what we were naturally exposed to makes sense [but then Sisson ruins it by saying we should limit our carb intake, which is ridiculous considering primates largely eat fruit and there would be no reason to restrict fruit intake...]).
3) Does the idea have coherence with my bodily senses? Doing paleo was awful, I didn't really like that style of eating very much and my favourite part of the day was eating my 'carbohydrate allowance', specifically yogurt and dark chocolate. I eat no foods I dislike eating when following Peat's ideas, and it's also very convenient.

Chemistry, history and empiricism are required to evaluate the healthfulness of food, in essence.

Most of Peat's ideas seem to meet these three criteria, so I follow most of Peat's ideas.