Quitting Social Media

P

Peatness

1663351938519.png

yerrag

I'm glad a lot of us didn't have to wait for social media to start censoring and themselves spreading fake news while branding genuine and fake in order to begin dissociating from it (so Talmudist of it as that's how I can tell something is truly Talmudist).

Bit I'm disappointed that many people still cling on to it despite knowing its evil and even prefer certain brands of social media over another just because of the convenience of having that being commonly used by their unwashed friends and family.

David PS

catan

I dropped Facebook years ago.
I dropped Linked-In. Ended up getting a job thru Indeed.
I also discourage texting.

All of these require a constant care and feeding.
People got angry because I did not respond in their perceived timeframe.

Cal Newport books/interviews are excellent for support in making this choice:
Digital Minimalism
A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.

Timothy Ferriss LOW INFORMATION DIET from 4-Hour Workweek
What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence, a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it.
—HERBERT SIMON, recipient of Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics- and the A.M. Turing Award, the “Nobel Prize of Computer Science”

The first step is to develop and maintain a low-information diet. Just as modern man consumes both too many calories and calories of no nutritional value, information workers eat data both in excess and from the wrong sources.
Lifestyle design is based on massive action—output. Increased output necessitates decreased input.
Most information is:
1) time-consuming,
2) negative,
3) irrelevant to your goals, and

4) outside of your influence.
I challenge you to look at whatever you read or watched today and tell me that it wasn’t at least two of the four.

Love this. And great thread.

I'm still on FB for homeschool, buy nothing, and buy/sell/trade groups. Still on WhatsApp for keeping in touch with family. I definitely spend way more time than necessary.

I'm thinking if I stop using using my smartphone the time spent will decrease drastically...

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I finally deactivated Facebook today! I already feel better.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
YaY!!! I do not miss it at all…
I did not miss it when I deactivated it before either. I need to remind myself of how toxic it really is if I’m tempted to reactivate it!

nomoreketones

I was just wondering how many people here have quit social media?
I don't use social media much at all. I do have a facebook account I just use to see what events are going on in my area. I never made a twitter or Instagram account.

This forum is the closest thing to social media that I use on a regular basis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals