Progest-e Or Not Progest-e, That Is The Question

L

lollipop

They're supposed to dissolve almost 100% of the actual progesterone so it would probably be great for someone who only needs a smaller dose such as yourself now that you're not estrogen dominant. I would unfortunately have to cut the top off and pour it over my body to get through a day of PMS-ing:happy:
LoLoLoL...you are tooooo funny!!

marsaday

ProgestE has been superb for me. Been using it daily for 2 1/2 yrs now. I only use 6mg per day as i am male, but it truly improves my overall health.

B

Braveheart

ProgestE has been superb for me. Been using it daily for 2 1/2 yrs now. I only use 6mg per day as i am male, but it truly improves my overall health.
how do you get the 6mg...that is supposed to be two drops, right?....hard to get drops as it is very thick and doesn't exactly come out in drops....

OP
alywest

alywest

Here is an interesting quote that was from a thread in October that I totally missed:

It was actually in the Part 2 Progesterone Politics + Science episode of the Barkhausen interview, rather than Part 3 (at least it was labeled as Part 2 on YouTube). Thank you for transcribing this portion of the interview, Schulz, so that I was able to find it and listen to it in context. In part 2 of this interview, Ray Peat said he used olive oil for the vitamin E in the progesterone he was making back in the 1970's. For anyone who wants to listen to this specific section, start listening at approximately 41:00 minutes. He said he stopped being involved in 1979 with companies manufacturing his progesterone/vitamin E mixture. The Kenogen Progest-E is said to be made using vitamin E made from soy oil on most websites that sell it, so that product is not made the way Ray Peat made his formula. Soy is well known to be estrogenic, so now I am wondering how much estrogen I have been getting each time I've used Kenogen Progest-E. I have been using Kenogen Progest-E for several years now, but I don't notice any improvements, nor reduction in problematic symptoms, regardless of what dosage I use. Instead I have symptoms that are more consistent with high estrogen when I use Kenogen Progest-E...I'm glad I know now that Ray Peat is not involved with this product and it is not his original formula. For me, it just means that I will have to go back to a topical progesterone which does not have estrogenic oils, herbs, or substances mixed in, since Kenogen Progest-E has estrogenic effects on my body.

OP
alywest

alywest

Perhaps Ray doesn't realize that Progest-E now uses soy isoflavones?

Xisca

OK, so maybe I'm just crazy! :clown:I don't know why this would make such a big difference for me but it does. Maybe he is ok with it, but my body is telling me otherwise, and it sounds like @seraphim was having a similar experience. And I can honestly say the breast pain went away when I took the other brands. Also, the other two brands don't require refrigeration whereas Progest-e does, and one of them states that that means "inferior quality" or something like that. They didn't specifically reference to my recollection, but I thought they were talking about inferior tocopherols.

You are not crazy, my hot flushes stopped, not only I stopped progest-e, which was not even enough, I stopped high sugar diet and high coconut oil in favor of olive oil and eggs. I upped greens and apple vinegar too. As long as we do not apply the principle of "who is the same and who is different from me", we cannot know what helps who... I also started to develop cellulitis that I had never had in my life before. I hope it will go away...

That can be useful only if men know what were your hormone labs before you started it! Too much progesteron can also make libido goes down. Not everybody is too high in estrogen....

OP
alywest

alywest

You are not crazy, my hot flushes stopped, not only I stopped progest-e, which was not even enough, I stopped high sugar diet and high coconut oil in favor of olive oil and eggs. I upped greens and apple vinegar too. As long as we do not apply the principle of "who is the same and who is different from me", we cannot know what helps who... I also started to develop cellulitis that I had never had in my life before. I hope it will go away...
Have you tried higher doses of pregnenalone for the cellulitis? Pregnenalone is the only thing so far (besides t3) that has actually made me feel good and notice skin improvements. I know cellulite is actually fascia, but supposedly pregnenalone tightens fascia. Progesterone makes me somewhat sleepy which is good when I'm PMS-ing (now that I take other brand not Progest-e) but pregnenalone (along with good doses of vitamin A and D) makes me feel energetic and really great!

nikkmm

Have you tried higher doses of pregnenalone for the cellulitis? Pregnenalone is the only thing so far (besides t3) that has actually made me feel good and notice skin improvements. I know cellulite is actually fascia, but supposedly pregnenalone tightens fascia. Progesterone makes me somewhat sleepy which is good when I'm PMS-ing (now that I take other brand not Progest-e) but pregnenalone (along with good doses of vitamin A and D) makes me feel energetic and really great!
What dose of pregnenolone are you using?

Xisca

If diet caused it, then change of diet will deal with it....
I am not going to mess up with hormones any more, even the so called safe ones!

OP
alywest

alywest

Wow! I am surprised, that’s a lot. Interesting.
If diet caused it, then change of diet will deal with it....
I am not going to mess up with hormones any more, even the so called safe ones!
I don't want anyone to take hormones because I told them to. I am not a doctor so do your own research. I'm just sharing my experience.

MCF

Both me and my husband had great results from using Progest-e. I would not be without it.

jdelvita

Hi,
I recently started taking nature throid and progest-e under the supervision of a holistic endocrinologist. I don't have a thyroid so I'm on 3 grains of nature throid. In October, I had a D&C because I lost a pregnancy. As a result, I wasn't sure when my period would come. My Dr. suggested I start taking progest-e anyway for 14 days. I've been on it for 10 days at this point. She started me at 10 drops at night before bed. Two nights ago I was awake the entire night. I called her to ask her what to do about that and she said to double up on the Progest-e. So, I took 20 drops last night and while at first I felt very sedated, I started becoming very restless when I went to bed. My legs were shaking and I felt incredibly anxious. I ended up taking Ativan as it was the only thing that I knew would calm me down (I don't take Benzos but my friend had it and I was desperate). Although I had a good night sleep last night, today I continue feeling very anxious. I can't call my Dr. today because it's the weekend so I looking for advice on what to do with the Progest-e. I feel like my period is about to come but somehow stuck and this might be giving me PMS in the form of anxiety.

Any help figuring out what is going on and how I should move forward is very much appreciated. Thanks!

OP
alywest

alywest

Hi,
I recently started taking nature throid and progest-e under the supervision of a holistic endocrinologist. I don't have a thyroid so I'm on 3 grains of nature throid. In October, I had a D&C because I lost a pregnancy. As a result, I wasn't sure when my period would come. My Dr. suggested I start taking progest-e anyway for 14 days. I've been on it for 10 days at this point. She started me at 10 drops at night before bed. Two nights ago I was awake the entire night. I called her to ask her what to do about that and she said to double up on the Progest-e. So, I took 20 drops last night and while at first I felt very sedated, I started becoming very restless when I went to bed. My legs were shaking and I felt incredibly anxious. I ended up taking Ativan as it was the only thing that I knew would calm me down (I don't take Benzos but my friend had it and I was desperate). Although I had a good night sleep last night, today I continue feeling very anxious. I can't call my Dr. today because it's the weekend so I looking for advice on what to do with the Progest-e. I feel like my period is about to come but somehow stuck and this might be giving me PMS in the form of anxiety.

Any help figuring out what is going on and how I should move forward is very much appreciated. Thanks!

If you read through this thread there are other brands besides progest-e that are comparable in price but don't have soy ingredients. I'm not sure that's the root of the issue, though. Is there any reason for you to take it besides your period not being regular? If it's causing such a crazy reaction I would stop taking it immediately if you haven't already and wait it out. I would start charting your menstrual cycle and only take it during the last two weeks.
But the other thing is that your liver might not be converting t4 into useable t3. I would work on getting your liver healthy by eating the carrot salad (grated carrots, ACV and coconut oil) every day. This will help you clean out your gut from endotoxin by increasing transit time (indigestible fiber) and the carrot itself is antibacterial along with the ACV and coco oil. This helps your liver because if you have too much endotoxin and everything is getting backed up it doesn't allow your liver to work at it's best. Other things that help are selenium, possibly some milk thistle.
It would also be interesting to know your cholesterol levels. If your cholesterol is really high it could be an indication of hypothyroidism. You don't want your cholesterol to get too low, though. What is your TSH level?

marsaday

how do you get the 6mg...that is supposed to be two drops, right?....hard to get drops as it is very thick and doesn't exactly come out in drops....

But one drop of this thick liquid is one drop. Are you really telling me you think this liquid should be coming out like a water drop. Not a chance. But one drop = 3mg. Why complicate things.

Xisca

I don't want anyone to take hormones because I told them to. I am not a doctor so do your own research. I'm just sharing my experience.
Your experience and others' are just nearly useless if you do not state your context, like why, your symptoms or your labs. A disclaimer is easy to throw, but until now the general saying was "progesterone is safe any dose, look, it goes up 1000fold during pregnancy"!

I just wanted to state that the problem can be more than with the brand progest-e, it can be with progesterone itself, and not everybody is estrogen dominant.

I would work on getting your liver healthy by eating the carrot salad (grated carrots, ACV and coconut oil) every day.
Too simplificated and not right in most cases, if this is good for some guts, this does not mean liver, and my liver has gotten better by coming back to OLIVE oil. You help liver and detox with bile stimulation and other things, which coconut does not seem to do. More over, RP has said fiber, and FOR EXAMPLE carrots, but carrot is not the only veggie that can help, and a bitter green salad with cider vinegar and olive oil will do the trick for all people who need more acidity in their stomach. Take it at least for breakfast or as an entry to any meal as many traditions do.... Most people do not dare use raw greens and even less dandelion and other bitter taste.... I was even helped by olive oil in fresh orange juice....

OP
alywest

alywest

Your experience and others' are just nearly useless if you do not state your context, like why, your symptoms or your labs. A disclaimer is easy to throw, but until now the general saying was "progesterone is safe any dose, look, it goes up 1000fold during pregnancy"!

I just wanted to state that the problem can be more than with the brand progest-e, it can be with progesterone itself, and not everybody is estrogen dominant.

Too simplificated and not right in most cases, if this is good for some guts, this does not mean liver, and my liver has gotten better by coming back to OLIVE oil. You help liver and detox with bile stimulation and other things, which coconut does not seem to do. More over, RP has said fiber, and FOR EXAMPLE carrots, but carrot is not the only veggie that can help, and a bitter green salad with cider vinegar and olive oil will do the trick for all people who need more acidity in their stomach. Take it at least for breakfast or as an entry to any meal as many traditions do.... Most people do not dare use raw greens and even less dandelion and other bitter taste.... I was even helped by olive oil in fresh orange juice....

Yeah but he says that carrot, cooked bamboo shoots and cooked mushrooms are the ones that he recommends for the purpose of keeping the gut clear. And that is connected to liver health. Every once in a while I enjoy a nice salad with various types of leaves like arugula and dandelion, though. Have you looked into Lita Lee's enzymes at all? It's a bit too pricey for me to have the consultation and all that or I would do it, but she talks about a lot of the things you do and she has the enzyme formulations to help with things like cleansing impurities from the blood and improving bile flow and all that. I think what she says makes sense and she will quote RP on certain things but she's not strictly adhering to everything he says.

I'm in a precarious place health wise and the only thing that has helped me get out of a really deep pit of sickness is to do some of the things RP suggests, and the first thing was getting my thyroid supplementation straight. I notice whenever I'm getting agitated it's because thyroid is not adequate and therefore blood sugar is off, etc. Progesterone has been the next major thing besides nutrition, and I'm disappointed that Progest-E uses ingredients that actually set me back because of sensitivities I have (apparently.) I guess it's good to know how sensitive I am to soy isoflavones, though, and I will be much more cautious with anything that has soy ingredients (ie. lecithin). I like olive oil, too, and definitely prefer it for a dressing. My cholesterol has lowered a lot since getting my thyroid working, so I try to load up on saturated fats, but for the most part I prefer butter! But I use coconut oil sometimes for cooking or I'll swish it in my mouth for five minutes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals