Progest-e and the cold shower effect

Logan-

Ray Peat and many forum members talked about progesterone’s “cold shower effect” on men. I am wondering what it means when you get this, specifically testicular shrinkage after oral intake of progest-e. Does this indicate a high dose (for a male body) is ingested and that the dose should be reduced? Can progesterone negatively affect/harm the testicles? How much oral progest-e would be too much for men, in general? What would be a good limit in terms of dose? I experienced this shrinkage with 3 drops of oral progest-e today, even though I took 5 milligrams of dhea with it. I started progesterone (progest-e) for the first time 4 days ago, the first 2-3 days I took much higher doses, so maybe this effect is due to high levels of progesterone in the body from cumulative increase due to supplementation; but it occurs after taking the progrest-e, and goes away in a few hours after it occurs.

Last edited:

SonOfEurope

Pregnenolone is safer in that regard.

I used p4 for 2 years to heal.

All minerals must be increased if one uses p4 and I think 3-6 mg a day is safe and highly restorative for a short time.... P4 does not destroy testicular tissue like Estrogen but if used in high doses for too long there can be a strong Cortisol and adrenal androgen rebound when stoped that can last a few months.

I only advice it in high doses if health is very compromised or if you want to heal brain damage or make it out of an addiction.... Even then as an anabolic substance if it's not taken with enough nutrients it can do more harm than good.... Its best to stimulate your own production with weekly Pregnenolone, Zinc from foods, Magnesium, light, adequate protein and proper sleep and avoiding stress.

P4 massively accelerates Calcium metabolism... The testes need Calcium so you must increase intake.

Progesterone output will naturally peak around July and be lowest in November and December.

OP
L

Logan-

What are the mechanisms by which progesterone shrinks testicles? Does supplemental progesterone negatively affect testosterone production in men?

Mr.Cacciatore

Ray Peat and many forum members talked about progesterone’s “cold shower effect” on men. I am wondering what it means when you get this, specifically testicular shrinkage after oral intake of progest-e. Does this indicate a high dose (for a male body) is ingested and that the dose should be reduced? Can progesterone negatively affect/harm the testicles? How much oral progest-e would be too much for men, in general? What would be a good limit in terms of dose? I experienced this shrinkage with 3 drops of oral progest-e today, even though I took 5 milligrams of dhea with it. I started progesterone (progest-e) for the first time 4 days ago, the first 2-3 days I took much higher doses, so maybe this effect is due to high levels of progesterone in the body from cumulative increase due to supplementation; but it occurs after taking the progrest-e, and goes away in a few hours after it occurs.
I suspect the cold shower effect is not, or at least not entirely, caused by suppressione of gonadal production. I use testosterone and HCG and i still seems to have the cold shower effect. It's probably more associated with a suppressione of nitric oxide and estrogens (very important for erection quality ad libido)

sun-maid

I suspect the cold shower effect is not, or at least not entirely, caused by suppressione of gonadal production. I use testosterone and HCG and i still seems to have the cold shower effect. It's probably more associated with a suppressione of nitric oxide and estrogens (very important for erection quality ad libido)

I get the same with very high dose of aspirin. I also think its low nitric oxide and low estrogen.

OP
L

Logan-

By cold shower effect, you are not referring to penile shrinkage; but testicular shrinkage, right? That’s what this thread is about. How would a reduction in NO and estrogen levels affect the testicular size like that?

sun-maid

By cold shower effect, you are not referring to penile shrinkage; but testicular shrinkage, right? That’s what this thread is about. How would a reduction in NO and estrogen levels affect the testicular size like that?

I was referring to penile shrinkage. Did not notice anything testicular. Actually they tend to become bigger and more firm.

Gawdawg

Pregnenolone is safer in that regard.

I used p4 for 2 years to heal.

All minerals must be increased if one uses p4 and I think 3-6 mg a day is safe and highly restorative for a short time.... P4 does not destroy testicular tissue like Estrogen but if used in high doses for too long there can be a strong Cortisol and adrenal androgen rebound when stoped that can last a few months.

I only advice it in high doses if health is very compromised or if you want to heal brain damage or make it out of an addiction.... Even then as an anabolic substance if it's not taken with enough nutrients it can do more harm than good.... Its best to stimulate your own production with weekly Pregnenolone, Zinc from foods, Magnesium, light, adequate protein and proper sleep and avoiding stress.

P4 massively accelerates Calcium metabolism... The testes need Calcium so you must increase intake.

Progesterone output will naturally peak around July and be lowest in November and December.
Were you using this orally or topically?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals