Phenylalanine drop brain serotonin, when used without serotonin.

Gûs80

The excellent relaxing effect that I feel when drinking diet sodas, sweetened with aspartame, made me find this interesting study.

If used alone, phenylalanine decreases serotonin in the rat brain.
But if used with tryptophan, it increases even more than just tryptophan alone.

As you may know, aspartame is made up of aspartic acid + phenylalanine.
I have never tested isolated phenylalanine, as I cannot find it in Brazil. But I believe there is a summation effect of the phenylalanine in aspart and the caffeine in diet sodas on the anxiety-free energy boost I experience and have seen others report.

At other times I drank diet coke with vodka, thinking only about the caloric issue. But I noticed that the two together made me very calm and made it virtually impossible for alcohol to get me drunk.

For me it has been an alternative to lower serotonin, especially after a bad night's sleep, which sharply increases brain serotonin.

"Dietary phenylalanine lowers the concentration of serotonin in rat brain and liver, probably resulting from in vivo inhibition of the decarboxylation of serotonin. No such effect was obtained in animals fed a high tyrosine diet. A high tryptophan diet increased the serotonin concentration in liver and brain as expected, while combined feeding of phenylalanine and tryptophan showed a significant increase in the brain serotonin content."

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Wow, that is interesting indeed. I wonder if the tiny amount in diet soda would have a substantial effect. Perhaps I will try some diet soda and evaluate for myself.

OP
Gûs80

Gûs80

Wow, that is interesting indeed. I wonder if the tiny amount in diet soda would have a substantial effect. Perhaps I will try some diet soda and evaluate for myself.
I feel a relaxing effect in a few minutes, an improvement in mood and a subtle increase in energy. But I haven't had the opportunity to try phenylalanine on its own yet.

Mauritio

Phenylalanine reliably increases dopamine, bowel speed and reduces my hair loss a lot.

I'm not sure what's with the hair loss, but I suspect it is because phenylalanine causes gallbladder emptying. I've noticed over the last months that there is a strong connection between things that stimulate the gall bladder and reduction in hair loss . I think the FXR is involved as well.

dukesbobby777

Phenylalanine stopped working for me a few years ago. I've tried loads of different sources. Same with tyrosine. In the early days of my experimentation, both would reliably elevate mood. I thought perhaps that my dopaminergic pathways might be downregulated, so I've experimented a lot with bromantane and 9-MBC, and I still get no effects from these amino acids. I've tried taking them with all the necessary cofactors (to help produce the dopamine), and still
no-cigar.

Ismail

Phenylalanine stopped working for me a few years ago. I've tried loads of different sources. Same with tyrosine. In the early days of my experimentation, both would reliably elevate mood. I thought perhaps that my dopaminergic pathways might be downregulated, so I've experimented a lot with bromantane and 9-MBC, and I still get no effects from these amino acids. I've tried taking them with all the necessary cofactors (to help produce the dopamine), and still
no-cigar.

Thanks for sharing your experience, that’s quite helpful.

I wonder if others have had a similar experience to you @dukesbobby777

I’m assuming you left a large enough gap and/or cycled with a large enough gap before trying again?

@Mauritio bro, you still using this or experienced anything similar to that of @dukesbobby777 experience?

Mauritio

Thanks for sharing your experience, that’s quite helpful.

I wonder if others have had a similar experience to you @dukesbobby777

I’m assuming you left a large enough gap and/or cycled with a large enough gap before trying again?

@Mauritio bro, you still using this or experienced anything similar to that of @dukesbobby777 experience?
No, for me its fine if I dont use too often.

Michael Mohn

I bought it once as a pure powder, it doesn't dissolve in water and taste like asś, which will certainly wake you up. Only buy it in pills and live with the additives.

Last edited:
OP
Gûs80

Gûs80

I'm testing a pre-workout that has Caffeine + taurine + bcaa and I add 1.5g of powdered phenylalanine. I really like the results so far. Better than Ritalin at increasing focus and energy. And it really reduces training fatigue a lot.

Mauritio

Thanks buddy.

Tried some yesterday (500mg sublingual), didn’t feel anything 🤷‍♂️
You have to take it with food AFAIK

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals