B6 Increases Serotonin

nostalgic

I think thats why you take it at relatively low doses, no more than 10mg. It also supports dopamine function which will offset serotonin increases. It seems to help with autism, depression, Parkinson, general stress, cancer, ADHD, IBS, diabetes, and asthma. Thus suggesting its net effect is very anti-serotonin. B-6 seems to be neurotoxic in high doses (irreversible) though, probably just serotonin syndrome.
I stumbled upon this post when looking for B6 dose direction, so thanks for sharing. I'm curious, are you saying that serotonin syndrome is irreversible? I was under the assumption that it's always reversible but it can take a very long time.

Constatine

I stumbled upon this post when looking for B6 dose direction, so thanks for sharing. I'm curious, are you saying that serotonin syndrome is irreversible? I was under the assumption that it's always reversible but it can take a very long time.
No, serotonin syndrome is not irreversible and can even be stopped by cypro. The damages serotonin syndrome can cause is also completely reversible. Though serotonin syndrome often occurs along with sepsis so treatment can be quite tricky. I was saying the toxicity of B6 was irreversible in the study. Or rather the treatment they tried had no effect on its toxicity.

nostalgic

No, serotonin syndrome is not irreversible and can even be stopped by cypro. The damages serotonin syndrome can cause is also completely reversible. Though serotonin syndrome often occurs along with sepsis so treatment can be quite tricky. I was saying the toxicity of B6 was irreversible in the study. Or rather the treatment they tried had no effect on its toxicity.
Ok, I misinterpreted you then, sorry. Thanks for replying so fast.

ddjd

B6 has a completely opposite effect to b6p5p in my case

ddjd

Hey guys,

I'm interested in taking B6 for reducing prolactin, and also because I used to believe it'd reduce serotonin by shunting tryptophan into niacin (this is a claim made by Peat that has floated around the forums a few times).

I have since found studies that found B6 to increase, rather than decrease, serotonin.

Pyridoxine effect on synthesis rate of serotonin in the monkey brain measured with positron emission tomography

"The effect of pyridoxine on aromatic amino acid decarboxylase activity supported a regulatory role of pyridoxine on the synthesis of neurotransmitter [serotonin] in vivo, and may be of importance in diseases with deficiencies in neurotransmitter function."

The Effect of Pyridoxine Hydrochloride on Blood Serotonin and Pyridoxal Phosphate Contents in Hyperactive Children

"Oral doses of pyridoxine resulted in an appreciable increase in the serotonin content and a very large increase in the PLP content of blood in these hyperactive patients."

Pyridoxine, regardless of serotonin levels, increases production of 5-hydroxytryptophan in rat brain

"Results suggest that pyridoxine plays a role in tryptophan metabolism, increasing production of 5-HTP."

I find these findings to be especially worrying, because B6 is quite commonly used to reduce prolactin.

Does anyone have anything to share about this?
just from experience i know that b6p5p will reduce serotonin/ adrenaline, but regular b6 will increase both. I dont think b6p5p increases dopamine that much at all.

ddjd

Hey guys,

I'm interested in taking B6 for reducing prolactin, and also because I used to believe it'd reduce serotonin by shunting tryptophan into niacin (this is a claim made by Peat that has floated around the forums a few times).

I have since found studies that found B6 to increase, rather than decrease, serotonin.

Pyridoxine effect on synthesis rate of serotonin in the monkey brain measured with positron emission tomography

"The effect of pyridoxine on aromatic amino acid decarboxylase activity supported a regulatory role of pyridoxine on the synthesis of neurotransmitter [serotonin] in vivo, and may be of importance in diseases with deficiencies in neurotransmitter function."

The Effect of Pyridoxine Hydrochloride on Blood Serotonin and Pyridoxal Phosphate Contents in Hyperactive Children

"Oral doses of pyridoxine resulted in an appreciable increase in the serotonin content and a very large increase in the PLP content of blood in these hyperactive patients."

Pyridoxine, regardless of serotonin levels, increases production of 5-hydroxytryptophan in rat brain

"Results suggest that pyridoxine plays a role in tryptophan metabolism, increasing production of 5-HTP."

I find these findings to be especially worrying, because B6 is quite commonly used to reduce prolactin.

Does anyone have anything to share about this?
in my experience regular b6 - the pyridoxine hydrochloride form i mean - does absolutely increase serotonin. however p5p form doesnt seem to. imo they have very different effects and be careful using regular b6 for extended periods. much safer to take p5p form

oh ***t ive just realised ive already replied to this thread lol, sorry!