Pau D'Arco (lapacho Tree) Lowers Estrogen Levels

haidut

Forum Supporter
This may be one of the many reasons it is effective against cancer. If the naphtoquinones and anthraquinones are the active compounds and they reduce estrogen, I wonder if Cascara has the same effect...

Growth inhibition of estrogen receptor positive human breast cancer cells by Taheebo from the inner bark of Tabebuia avellandae tree. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Selective estrogen receptor (ER) modulators are used as a therapy for ER+ clinical breast cancer, but they exhibit adverse effects. Herbal medicines may provide an alternative or complementary approach. Taheebo, extracted from the inner bark of the Tabebuia avellandae tree found in the Brazilian Amazon, exhibits selective anti-proliferative effects in carcinoma cell lines. The present study identifies the mechanistic leads for the inhibitory effects of Taheebo. Human breast carcinoma derived ER+MCF-7 cells were used as the model. Aqueous extract of Taheebo was the test compound. Cell cycle analysis, clonogenic assay, and global gene expression profiles were the quantitative parameters. Taheebo treatment resulted in a dose/time-dependent growth inhibition (S phase arrest, reduced clonogeneticity) and initiation of apoptosis (chromatin condensation). A 6-h treatment with 1.5 mg/ml Taheebo modulated the gene expression of G2 specific cyclin B1 (-2.0-fold); S phase specific PCNA (-2.0-fold) and OKL38 (+11.0-fold); apoptosis specific GADD-45 family (+1.9-5.4-fold), Caspases (+1.6-1.7-fold), BCL-2 family (-1.5-2.5-fold), estrogen responsive ESR1 (-1.5-fold), and xeno-biotic metabolism specific CYP 1A1 (+19.8 fold) and CYP 1B1 (+7.9-fold). The anti-proliferative effects of Taheebo correlate with down-regulated cell cycle regulatory and estrogen responsive genes, and up-regulated apoptosis specific and xeno-biotic metabolism specific genes. These data validate a rapid mechanistic approach to prioritize efficacious herbal medicines, thereby complementing the existing endocrine therapy for breast cancer."

Last edited:

jyb

It seems like it is laxative too, like cascara. I'm never sure if the emodin's effect is limited to the intestine cells, or if it crosses the wall and yields other effects too. Since emodin is responsible for the laxative effect, seems like in practice the oral intake would be limited to avoid excessive laxative effect.

overkees

I researched Pau Darco a while back and it turns out it has some drawbacks, I can't recall them now. So best is to use it a couple of times a week at most.

ddjd

I researched Pau Darco a while back and it turns out it has some drawbacks, I can't recall them now. So best is to use it a couple of times a week at most.
Can you go back and find these!!

D

danishispsychic

I like the taking it in tincture form. My former Dr. ( Luc DeSchepper ) had me on this for Candida for a while and now I just crave it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

TreasureVibe

Where did you see this article mention Pau D'Arco? It talks about quinoa.
Yes but it highlights saponins in general causing perforation of the intestine wall.. What is your opinion on Pau D'Arco (which contains saponins) and leaky gut risk?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yes but it highlights saponins in general causing perforation of the intestine wall.. What is your opinion on Pau D'Arco (which contains saponins) and leaky gut risk?

Given that Pau D'Arco's primary usage in Latin America is healing digestive ailments, I really doubt it would be causing issues. There are no published case reports on that either.

TreasureVibe

Given that Pau D'Arco's primary usage in Latin America is healing digestive ailments, I really doubt it would be causing issues. There are no published case reports on that either.
I got the idea from this post:

Extract:
Legumes and pseudo-grains (like quinoa and amaranth) are high in saponins. All plants contain saponins, often concentrated in the seed of the plant. These compounds have detergent-like properties and are designed to protect the plants from consumption by microbes and insects by dissolving the cell membranes of these potential predators. Saponins consist of a fat-soluble core (having either a steroid or triterpenoid structure) with one or more side chains of water-soluble carbohydrates (this combination of both a water-soluble and a fat-soluble component is what makes saponin act like a detergent, i.e., something that can make oil and water mix). This detergent-like structure gives saponins the ability to interact with the cholesterol molecules imbedded in the surface membrane of every cell in the body and rearrange those cholesterol molecules to form a stable, pore-like complex. Basically, dietary saponins create holes in the surface membrane of the cells which line the gut (enterocytes), allowing a variety of substances found in the gut to enter the cell.
PS: If you d'ont abuse, it will be ok. A good night will repair tight junctions.

Basically it states that any saponins cause leaky gut so what do you think?

Wagner83

Like Ray said you have to look at foods as a whole and see their overall effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals