Oxalate And Calcium Intake

Hi,

My doctor suggest me to limit calcium intake beacause with Vit. C is very dangerous for formation Oxalate.

Is real ? is necessity limit ?

Hans

Forum Supporter
No contribution of ascorbic acid to renal calcium oxalate stones. - PubMed - NCBI
"Even though a certain part of oxalate in the urine derives from metabolized ascorbic acid (AA), the intake of high doses of vitamin C does not increase the risk of calcium oxalate kidney stones due to physiological regulatory factor: gastrointestinal absorption as well as renal tubular reabsorption of AA are saturable processes, and the metabolic transformation of AA to oxalate is limited as well. Older assays for urinary oxalate favored in vitro conversion of AA to oxalate during storage and processing of the samples. Recurrent stone formers and patients with renal failure who have a defect in AA or oxalate metabolism should restrict daily vitamin C intakes to approximately 100 mg. But in the large-scale Harvard Prospective Health Professional Follow-Up Study, those groups in the highest quintile of vitamin C intake (> 1,500 mg/day) had a lower risk of kidney stones than the groups in the lowest quintiles."

No Reported Renal Stones with Intravenous Vitamin C Administration: A Prospective Case Series Study
In this study, no one got kidney stones from intravenous vit C.

How much dairy/calcium are you consuming anyway?

Tom K

Instead of the advice rendered by your physician, try eliminating foods high in oxalates: spinach, kale. grains etc. There are many free sources that list the oxalate content of foods and among them are many of the believed to be 'Health foods.' Example: almonds are very high in oalate , but are being used as a substitute for wheat flour in many paleo/keto forums. Oyxllic acid forms oxalate crystals that lodge in the vital organs, especially the kidneys and thyroid.

OP
Highserotonin90
I think it would be "wise" to make some days in which the oxalates are controlled or, in any case, as low as possible so as to facilitate all the digestive processes and not weigh down the organism.

Even normal potatoes contain exact? I eat them mostly post workout even for potassium ... removing them I greatly reduce my intake.

Even the same turnips consumed half a kg a day, then I saw that they are full of oxalates, bitter cocoa the same ... 50g a day now nothing.

OP
Highserotonin90
No contribution of ascorbic acid to renal calcium oxalate stones. - PubMed - NCBI
"Even though a certain part of oxalate in the urine derives from metabolized ascorbic acid (AA), the intake of high doses of vitamin C does not increase the risk of calcium oxalate kidney stones due to physiological regulatory factor: gastrointestinal absorption as well as renal tubular reabsorption of AA are saturable processes, and the metabolic transformation of AA to oxalate is limited as well. Older assays for urinary oxalate favored in vitro conversion of AA to oxalate during storage and processing of the samples. Recurrent stone formers and patients with renal failure who have a defect in AA or oxalate metabolism should restrict daily vitamin C intakes to approximately 100 mg. But in the large-scale Harvard Prospective Health Professional Follow-Up Study, those groups in the highest quintile of vitamin C intake (> 1,500 mg/day) had a lower risk of kidney stones than the groups in the lowest quintiles."

No Reported Renal Stones with Intravenous Vitamin C Administration: A Prospective Case Series Study
In this study, no one got kidney stones from intravenous vit C.

How much dairy/calcium are you consuming anyway?

So Vitamin C would not be a problem while oxalates contained in foods such as spinach, red turnips and cocoa.

Current football is 1.5-2gr per day.

Should I reduce?

Tom K

There are no issues with C. The issues are with the high oxalate foods, ex. spinach, kale, almonds, grains, etc. The supposedly 'healthy foods' that you should avoid.

OP
Highserotonin90
Kale bruxels also ?

Tom K

Do not know kale bruxels. Are they different than brussel sprouts?

OP
Highserotonin90
Sorry Yes, Is sprouts this no have more oxalate i read now...same the classic cabbage

Wagner83

[...]
"Although there are some published studies that have suggested that increasing calcium and vitamin D will increase the risk of kidney stones, these studies were not well controlled for either calcium or vitamin D intake and other causes of kidney stone development were not evaluated (75). The major cause for kidney stones is the increased absorption of dietary oxalate that is often present in dark green leafy vegetables including spinach. This is the reason why it has been observed that increasing calcium intake reduces risk of developing kidney stones. However, patients who have a history of kidney stones do need to be cautious about their calcium intake. For patients with kidney stones who are not getting an adequate amount of calcium in their diet and need to take a calcium supplement, I recommend either calcium citrate or calcium citrate malate. The reason is that the citrate and malate will chelate the calcium in the urine decreasing risk of kidney stone development. Treating vitamin D deficiency and increasing vitamin D intake to raise blood levels of 25(OH)D of >30 and <100 ng/ml will not increase the risk of developing kidney stones unless there is some other underlying calcium or bone metabolic disorder (4)."
Calcium Oxalate Crystals: The Irritant Factor in Kiwifruit

"The cause of irritation in the mouth, when kiwifruit nectars and dried kiwifruit products are ingested, was investigated. Idioblast cells that contain raphide crystals of calcium oxalate were isolated from inner pericarp tissue of the fruit and studied by light and electron microscopy. An experienced panel of 9 judges detected an irritation from sweetened apple puree when isolated raphide crystals were incorporated at the rate of 30 mg oxalate/100g of puree. Sensory and microscopic studies showed evidence that the irritation was caused by sharp calcium oxalate crystals exposed during processing."
Total, Soluble and Insoluble Oxalate Contents of Ripe Green and Golden Kiwifruit

OP
Highserotonin90
Normal potato Is good ?

Nokoni

If you give your body less calcium than it needs then your body will just take the calcium out of your bones. Limiting calcium can damage your bones.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Drinking milk with a meal high in oxalates protects.

Xisca

try eliminating foods high in oxalates: spinach, kale. grains etc. There are many free sources that list the oxalate content of foods
Not all kales and it is the only one in the cabbage familly that is quite safe.
Join the try low oxalate group for the most accurate testing and list.
Nevertheless, analysis vary because the content vary, and they don't know according to which factor...

Even normal potatoes contain exact? I eat them mostly post workout even for potassium ... removing them I greatly reduce my intake.

Even the same turnips consumed half a kg a day, then I saw that they are full of oxalates, bitter cocoa the same ... 50g a day now nothing.
Sweet and white potaoes have. It seems potatoes with red skin have much less.
Turnips are OK!!!
Cacao is part of the worse... but coffee is low oxalate!
lol strange it was not asked...

brussel sprouts?
They are ok as most cabbage but some kales.

Drinking milk with a meal high in oxalates protects.
Somehow but not totally in sensitive people...
Calcium citrate with food for those who cannot have dairy.
Citrate is good to avoid stones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals