Normal Prolactin And Lactid Acid Levels?

Ellie18

I just had a lab test for my prolactin and lactic acid levels. Not sure exactly what optimal levels are supposed to be though. I'm 20 yrs, have estrogen dominance, and am trying to find the root cause of my chronic acne/skin problems.

Prolactin: 22.5 ng/mL
Lactic Acid (LDH): 121 IU/L

They are both within the labs reference range (Prolactin being on the higher side of it) But I know that reference ranges at labs aren't always what would be optimal..
Any insight is really appreciated.

Quality

Hi Ellie,
Your prolactin seems indeed a bit high, do you find you have alot of stress?
How long have you been having this problem? Also you have estrogen dominance.
If you would consider using supplements, then have a look at vitex, it is apparantly used for women to restore the progesterone-estrogen balance and lower prolactin.
It also has dopamine agonist features, it might make you feel a bit better.
Make sure you do your own research aswell, as I am not a doctor, just sharing some of my knowledge.
All the best.

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

Hi Ellie,
Your prolactin seems indeed a bit high, do you find you have alot of stress?
How long have you been having this problem? Also you have estrogen dominance.
If you would consider using supplements, then have a look at vitex, it is apparantly used for women to restore the progesterone-estrogen balance and lower prolactin.
It also has dopamine agonist features, it might make you feel a bit better.
Make sure you do your own research aswell, as I am not a doctor, just sharing some of my knowledge.
All the best.
Moderate stress yes, My hormones are all out of wack though so I will look into vitex! Thank you :)

Orion

RP has mentioned that prolactin can cause issues with increased sebum production.

A higher calcium intake, quality diary proteins, foods that digest easily to reduce endotoxin/serotonin/estrogen, avoid or low PUFA intake, lots and lots of canning salt and topical magnesium chloride.

Milk, cheese, OJ, sugar, honey, vitamin A/D/E/K should help. Rebreathing in paper bag can help increase CO2.

"Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest efects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers inbirds), and on the gills of fish."

"It is well established that increased water (hypotonicity) stimulates prolactin, and increased sodium inhibits its secretion."

"Prolactin secretion is increased by serotonin, which is one of the substances increased by salt restriction, but prolactin itself can promote the loss of sodium in the urine (Ibarra, et al., 2005), and contributes to vascular leakage and hypertension."

"Protein, salt, thyroid, and progesterone happen to be thermogenic, increasing heat production and stabilizing body temperature at a higher level. Prolactin and estrogen lower the temperature set-point."

"With a diet high in protein (e.g., at least 70-100 grams per day, including eggs) and vitamin A (not carotene), I have found that the dose of progesterone can be reduced each month. Using thyroid will usually reduce the amount of progesterone needed. Occasionally, a woman won't feel any effect even from 100 mg. of progesterone; I think this indicates that they need to use thyroid and diet, to normalize their estrogen, prolactin, and cortisol."

"Estrogen increases serotonin, which besides promoting the secretion of prolactin, also stimulates the production of parathyroid hormone and cortisol, both of which remove calcium from bone, and contribute to the calcification of blood vessels. "

"Since most calcium is lost from bone during the night (Eastell, et al., 1992; even in children: DeSanto, et al., 1988) in association with the nocturnal rise of the catabolic substances, such as free fatty acids, cortisol, prolactin, PTH, and adrenalin, things which minimize the nocturnal stress can decrease the bone turnover. These include calcium (Blumsohn, et al., 1994) and sugar."

"Calcium activates mitochondrial respiration, and lowers adrenaline (Luft, et al., 1988), parathyroid hormone (Ohgitani, et al., 1997), and prolactin (Kruse and Kracht, 1981). Copper, which is the co-factor for the cytochrome C oxidase enzyme, activated by thyroid, is essential for bone formation and maintenance, and is consistently deficient in osteoporosis. Thyroid hormone increases the body's ability to assimilate copper. "

"PUFA - Arachidonic acid stimulates prolactin secretion, and prolactin acts on the thyroid gland to decrease its activity, and on other tissues to increase their glycolysis (with lactate production), while decreasing oxidative metabolism (Spatling, et al., 1982; Strizhkov, 1991). "

"CO2 - Living at high altitude, which strengthens bones, increases thyroid activity and decreases prolactin (Richalet, et al., 2010) and parathyroid hormone (Khan, et al., 1996). It lowers free fatty acids, which lower bone mass by reducing bone formation and increasing bone resorption (Chen, et al., 2010). In menopausal women, polyunsaturated fatty acids and even monounsaturated fats are associated with bone loss, fruit and vegetable consumption protects against bone loss (Macdonald, et al., 2004)."

"Estrogen - The activity of aromatase increases with aging, and under the influence of prolactin, cortisol, prostaglandin, and the pituitary hormones, FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and growth hormone. It is inhibited by progesterone, thyroid, aspirin, and high altitude (CO2)."

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

RP has mentioned that prolactin can cause issues with increased sebum production.

A higher calcium intake, quality diary proteins, foods that digest easily to reduce endotoxin/serotonin/estrogen, avoid or low PUFA intake, lots and lots of canning salt and topical magnesium chloride.

Milk, cheese, OJ, sugar, honey, vitamin A/D/E/K should help. Rebreathing in paper bag can help increase CO2.

"Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest efects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers inbirds), and on the gills of fish."

"It is well established that increased water (hypotonicity) stimulates prolactin, and increased sodium inhibits its secretion."

"Prolactin secretion is increased by serotonin, which is one of the substances increased by salt restriction, but prolactin itself can promote the loss of sodium in the urine (Ibarra, et al., 2005), and contributes to vascular leakage and hypertension."

"Protein, salt, thyroid, and progesterone happen to be thermogenic, increasing heat production and stabilizing body temperature at a higher level. Prolactin and estrogen lower the temperature set-point."

"With a diet high in protein (e.g., at least 70-100 grams per day, including eggs) and vitamin A (not carotene), I have found that the dose of progesterone can be reduced each month. Using thyroid will usually reduce the amount of progesterone needed. Occasionally, a woman won't feel any effect even from 100 mg. of progesterone; I think this indicates that they need to use thyroid and diet, to normalize their estrogen, prolactin, and cortisol."

"Estrogen increases serotonin, which besides promoting the secretion of prolactin, also stimulates the production of parathyroid hormone and cortisol, both of which remove calcium from bone, and contribute to the calcification of blood vessels. "

"Since most calcium is lost from bone during the night (Eastell, et al., 1992; even in children: DeSanto, et al., 1988) in association with the nocturnal rise of the catabolic substances, such as free fatty acids, cortisol, prolactin, PTH, and adrenalin, things which minimize the nocturnal stress can decrease the bone turnover. These include calcium (Blumsohn, et al., 1994) and sugar."

"Calcium activates mitochondrial respiration, and lowers adrenaline (Luft, et al., 1988), parathyroid hormone (Ohgitani, et al., 1997), and prolactin (Kruse and Kracht, 1981). Copper, which is the co-factor for the cytochrome C oxidase enzyme, activated by thyroid, is essential for bone formation and maintenance, and is consistently deficient in osteoporosis. Thyroid hormone increases the body's ability to assimilate copper. "

"PUFA - Arachidonic acid stimulates prolactin secretion, and prolactin acts on the thyroid gland to decrease its activity, and on other tissues to increase their glycolysis (with lactate production), while decreasing oxidative metabolism (Spatling, et al., 1982; Strizhkov, 1991). "

"CO2 - Living at high altitude, which strengthens bones, increases thyroid activity and decreases prolactin (Richalet, et al., 2010) and parathyroid hormone (Khan, et al., 1996). It lowers free fatty acids, which lower bone mass by reducing bone formation and increasing bone resorption (Chen, et al., 2010). In menopausal women, polyunsaturated fatty acids and even monounsaturated fats are associated with bone loss, fruit and vegetable consumption protects against bone loss (Macdonald, et al., 2004)."

"Estrogen - The activity of aromatase increases with aging, and under the influence of prolactin, cortisol, prostaglandin, and the pituitary hormones, FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and growth hormone. It is inhibited by progesterone, thyroid, aspirin, and high altitude (CO2)."

All of this directly applies to my situation, so I very much appreciate you compiling all of this valuable info!

HDD

From email exchanges-

"I think the prolactin should be around 9 to 12."

High prolactin

Either vitex or bromocriptine would probably stop it, but I think it's probably caused by mild hypothyroidism, and that the best way to handle it would be with a thyroid supplement, and that would probably help your libido too.
Prolactin and TSH tend to increase together, so when you didn't need the prolactin to be high, the TSH--which might have been keeping your thyroid active despite high estrogen--could have decreased, letting the gland be suppressed by estrogen (and maybe PUFA, from the nuts and any non-ruminant meats). Optimally, the TSH should be very low, but the thyroid gland should keep functioning without needing much stimulation.
Salt and thyroid usually lower it, but you might want to try a little vitamin B6; even a small amount, about 10 mg per day, can lower prolactin.

OP
Ellie18

Ellie18

From email exchanges-

"I think the prolactin should be around 9 to 12."

High prolactin

Either vitex or bromocriptine would probably stop it, but I think it's probably caused by mild hypothyroidism, and that the best way to handle it would be with a thyroid supplement, and that would probably help your libido too.
Prolactin and TSH tend to increase together, so when you didn't need the prolactin to be high, the TSH--which might have been keeping your thyroid active despite high estrogen--could have decreased, letting the gland be suppressed by estrogen (and maybe PUFA, from the nuts and any non-ruminant meats). Optimally, the TSH should be very low, but the thyroid gland should keep functioning without needing much stimulation.
Salt and thyroid usually lower it, but you might want to try a little vitamin B6; even a small amount, about 10 mg per day, can lower prolactin.
Interesting, I agree about the hypothyroidism. I've been taking NDT (Thiroyd) for 25 days now (have increased to 2 tabs or grains) and haven't noticed any difference really. I've heard from several people now to take B6 for prolactin so that may be my next step in action. Thanks again :)

movebetter

Hi, where did you find these quotes?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals