Normal Progesterone Levels In Men?

Aleeri

This is something that has been bugging me for years. What are the normal ranges of Progesterone in men?

There are so many conflicting numbers between different labs and I have repeatedly emailed Ray Peat my numbers in the past and he has never commented on them even when I express my concern that they are low.

My last labs in 2018 showed my progesterone levels at 0.23 ng/mL (no reference range at that lab).

The lowest I ever had was 0.14 ng/mL

I've seen reference ranges set at 0.3 ng/mL (age 18-29) or 0.27-0.92 even. Super confusing.

Anyone mind sharing their numbers?

OP
Aleeri

Aleeri

Yeah, it's crazy that there are no proper references ranges for men if Progesterone is indeed so important.

I've tried to get my levels up with:

Progesterone cream (numb **** in too high dosages)
Pregnenolone capsules (anxiety, does not move progesterone on labs)
Vitamin C + B6 + Vitex (moved like 0.04, not powerful enough)
NDT (the latest labs were from using NDT 0.5-1 grain per day for couple months)

My temperatures are good (around 36.8-37.1 Celsius) but pulse a bit low, usually around 62-68 resting, but during the day moving higher 70-90.

Honestly, I am starting to think that my progesterone levels are normal since nothing that I do seem to increase them further. Getting them to 0.92 seems like an impossible task.

ShotTrue

Yeah, it's crazy that there are no proper references ranges for men if Progesterone is indeed so important.

I've tried to get my levels up with:

Progesterone cream (numb **** in too high dosages)
Pregnenolone capsules (anxiety, does not move progesterone on labs)
Vitamin C + B6 + Vitex (moved like 0.04, not powerful enough)
NDT (the latest labs were from using NDT 0.5-1 grain per day for couple months)

My temperatures are good (around 36.8-37.1 Celsius) but pulse a bit low, usually around 62-68 resting, but during the day moving higher 70-90.

Honestly, I am starting to think that my progesterone levels are normal since nothing that I do seem to increase them further. Getting them to 0.92 seems like an impossible task.
On wiki it says .27 was low, .9 high. Based off that it sounds like .23 is really low. However if you don’t have any issues/ symptoms of low prog you may be fine?

Once I get healthy I’m going to get my progesterone tested and see what level is when I feel good, as an example of a good marker.

ShotTrue

You could try pregnolone or making sure your blood sugar stays up, as that seems important.
As men, I hope that a good diet and no harmful supplements is enough for it to recover on its own.

I’ve been using red clover which seems to help but it’s also estrogenic

ShotTrue

Yeah I looked it up. “Men’s levels are at the same levels of women during their follicular phase, which is less than 1.”

So I’m guessing you want above .27 as a minimum, see values I posted above

baccheion

Yeah I looked it up. “Men’s levels are at the same levels of women during their follicular phase, which is less than 1.”

So I’m guessing you want above .27 as a minimum, see values I posted above
Males can also experience estrogen dominance. A given amount of estradiol has an associated/recommended amount of progesterone.

ShotTrue

Males can also experience estrogen dominance. A given amount of estradiol has an associated/recommended amount of progesterone.
Interesting, hadn’t heard of that, though i did hear too high estrogen is bad for progesterone, like it may lower it.

My estrogen last checked is 37, which is within the ideal range of 17-40 I’ve read. I’ll probably get my progesterone test back today

baccheion

Interesting, hadn’t heard of that, though i did hear too high estrogen is bad for progesterone, like it may lower it.

My estrogen last checked is 37, which is within the ideal range of 17-40 I’ve read. I’ll probably get my progesterone test back today
If you look at the preferred progesterone:estradiol ratio for women, you can determine how much progesterone is required. If it goes outside the range, lower estradiol.

ShotTrue

Okay what I’ve briefly found on google :
In healthy women, progesterone/estradiol ratio should be between 100 and 500.

Blood spot or serum example: a patient has E2 = 100 pg/mL and Pg = 20 ng/mL. The Pg units are first converted to pg/mL before calculating the ratio: 1 ng/mL is equivalent to 1000 pg/mL. Therefore, the ratio is 20 ng/mL x 1000 = 20,000 pg/mL Pg,
divided by 100 pg/mL E2:

20 x 1000100
= 100

Both of these examples represent normal endogenous luteal phase levels of E2 and Pg.

Here’s a calculator:
Progesterone to Estrogen Ratio Calculator - Omni

Last edited:

rei

Try cholesterol powder. The conversion to pregnenolone is rate limited by cholesterol supply. Then the body makes all the needed hormones in the amounts needed. More cholesterol in = higher hormonal level.

Someone claimed that cholesterol in eggs is only 10% bioavailable so sadly there does not seem to be any natural source with significant amounts.

I used to get a numb penis from progesterone but I do not anymore. My theory is that estrogen must get flushed out of cells, and this may require a loading dosage.

ShotTrue

I used to get a numb penis from progesterone but I do not anymore. My theory is that estrogen must get flushed out of cells, and this may require a loading dosage.
Interesting. At this point if it was a temporary side effect I’m not worried.
@ecstatichamster does taking it suppress natural progesterone? Ideally I just want to be on it for a small while to get my level up to par

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals