Next Thyroid supplement

Nstocks

Hi all,

I've been on NDT for almost one year now, starting from 1/4 grain and most recently 1 full grain. Overall I've noticed my feet are not as cold at any given time, however I still have extreme digestive discomfort, bloating, constipation, dry skin and lack of energy (lethargic).

I'm almost out of the NDT from pimponproducts and think it may be time to start something new. I must admit that I've not been tracking my temp or pulse for a long time - perhaps the first 3 months when I started taking NDT and I saw a 0.4C increase.

I've also tried a course of Amoxicylin for digestion and Diatomaceous earth that reduced bloating when waking up (taking it before bead) but it's not a long term supplement/solution.

There's a lot of thyroid supplements out there so it's safe to say I'm lost knowing what to try next, though I'd prefer to stick with a natural source.

answersfound

I'm sure its fine. But you may want to get labs before you supplement because if you have high RT3, desiccated thyroid may make things worse. With Cytomel and Cynoplus, you can control the ratio of T4:T3.

OP
N

Nstocks

Labs would be a good option but for RT3 it will cost around £200. There's no chance I would be allowed these tests on the NHS.

Maybe stop thyroid for a while and continue with eating more food (trying to add lean mass)... My main issues are digestion so I could try other things to help with that.

ilovethesea

Can you get Cynoplus and Cytomel? I've tried a few brands and find them the purest and best. There are a lot of impurities in NDT brands (Ray no longer recommends any of them FYI, just the synthetic). Also I've found that their potency varies wildly and can really mess up your dosing.

Would be good for you to start tracking temps and pulse again. Broda Barnes protocol was to raise by 1/2 - 1 grain every 2 months, so seems you have been going very slowly. Probably why you're still not seeing too much improvement on symptoms. I don't think stopping thyroid now sounds like a very good idea... just my 2 cents.

OP
N

Nstocks

I'll look into those. I was reluctant when I figured I was hypo to use synthetic drugs but nothing has changed much since taking NDT (and increasing calories)

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but would I take cynoplus OR cytomel and not both?

HDD

Possibly both. Cynoplus is t4/t3, 4:1. Cynomel is t3. Some can take just cynoplus and not need additional t3. Many need more t3 (especially women because of estrogen). Starting with small amount of cynoplus and monitoring temperature and pulse for a few weeks before adjusting is recommended.

http://peatarian.com/peatexchanges#thyroid_hormone

answersfound

Yea, i've ordered from Pim Pom and I felt like it didn't do anything. I've taken the Nutri-Pak and Nutri-Meds. Both are good products, but Cytomel/Cynoplus is IMO in the best option.

OP
N

Nstocks

I'm happy to report that after taking 1/2 a grain of cynoplus for almost 1 month, my temperature has started to increase.

My waking temperature was at 35.8 5 weeks ago and is not between 36.1 and 36.4. I still have some issues (slightly under eating as usual) but it's a relief to see the thermometer go up after almost 2 years of Peat protocol.

Should I continue at 1/2 a grain unless the temp drops again? I don't think there is any good from a full grain is there?

sweetpeat

By other issues, do you mean other hypothyroid issues? If yes, then increasing the cynoplus dose is worth considering. If you have trouble with under eating though, then I would suggest increasing the cynoplus a little more slowly so you can keep up with it.

You’re already getting more t4 and t3 than when you were taking NDT. Half of a cynoplus contains 60 mcg t4 and 15 mcg t3, versus a full pill (grain) of NDT would be about 38 mcg t4 and 9 mcg t3 (depending on the brand). Synthetics are not measured in grains like NDT, though this is a common mistake I’ve noticed people making when they switch between NDT and synthetics. So, jumping to a full pill of cynoplus would put you at 120 mcg t4 and 30 mcg t3. This would be comparable to 3 grains of NDT.

OP
N

Nstocks

Some issues are bloating, dry skin, tiredness.

High amounts of T4 that aren't converted would become free T4 right? I honestly don't know what the dosage relate to in terms of the naturally produced hormone in someone that is not hypothyroid. Are you saying a full grain is too much T4?

This is a very hard question to even attempt to answer but someone may know. Let's say I take cynoplus for a year and my temp and metabolism work well. Would it be wise to slowly decrease the dosage before stopping it completely? Do people take this there entire life?!

sweetpeat

No, I’m saying one pill of NDT is not the same as one pill of cynoplus. One cynoplus is equivalent to approx 3 pills (grains) of NDT. So, half of a cynoplus is more potent than 1 pill (grain) of NDT. That’s possibly why you’re getting better results – you’re getting more t4 and t3 than you were before you switched.

And yes, I think most people wean off thyroid supps if/when metabolism improves.

aguilaroja

ilovethesea said:
Can you get Cynoplus and Cytomel? I've tried a few brands and find them the purest and best. There are a lot of impurities in NDT brands (Ray no longer recommends any of them FYI, just the synthetic).

My experience is similar, that the bioidentical "synthetic" T4 (levothyroxine) and T3 (liothyronine) forms are best. For one thing, if the T4 and T3 are separate, it is possible to adjust the ratio between them. Cynoplus and Cytomel are the Mexican brands, but bioidentical T4 (levothyroxine) and T3 (liothyronine) are available in many places, depending on provider and access.

If NDT is used, it is best to divide it up during the day, so that the T3 part of it is spaced through the day. It could certainly be, if the indication for supplementing thyroid are clear, that the amount was low. One grain is a fairly low amount for situations of prolonged low thyroid function.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/thyroid.shtml

"Since T3 has a short half life, it should be taken frequently. If the liver isn't producing a noticeable amount of T3, it is usually helpful to take a few micrograms per hour. Since it restores respiration and metabolic efficiency very quickly, it isn't usually necessary to take it every hour or two, but until normal temperature and pulse have been achieved and stabilized, sometimes it's necessary to take it four or more times during the day. T4 acts by being changed to T3, so it tends to accumulate in the body, and on a given dose, usually reaches a steady concentration after about two weeks.

"An effective way to use supplements is to take a combination T4-T3 dose, e.g., 40 mcg of T4 and 10 mcg of T3 once a day, and to use a few mcg of T3 at other times in the day. Keeping a 14-day chart of pulse rate and temperature allows you to see whether the dose is producing the desired response. If the figures aren't increasing at all after a few days, the dose can be increased, until a gradual daily increment can be seen, moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day."

OP
N

Nstocks

Off topic but although my temp is increasing (still on 1/2 grain cyno) my digestion is s***. Well, I wish it was - I'm still chronically constipated!

I've thought about taking a small dose of antibiotics for a couple of months (currently reading through Charlies post). I still have issues with milk and to be honest, any liquids so my metabolism still needs time to get better, but for relieve (and perhaps acne reduction) more bel movements could help?

A

Anonymous

Nstocks said:
Off topic but although my temp is increasing (still on 1/2 grain cyno) my digestion is s***. Well, I wish it was - I'm still chronically constipated!

I've thought about taking a small dose of antibiotics for a couple of months (currently reading through Charlies post). I still have issues with milk and to be honest, any liquids so my metabolism still needs time to get better, but for relieve (and perhaps acne reduction) more bel movements could help?

Carrots
Coffee
Activated charcoal
Dried fruit like prunes

OP
N

Nstocks

Carrots haven't had any effect on me after months of trying.

I drink coffee a few times per week and that does help by making a almost instant BM. I'm considering a coffee enema to see if it helps with Liver "detox" as reported.

I've also looked at activated charcoal and strongly considered it but the first "side effect" is constipation and it's not recommended if food takes a long time to pass. Perhaps worth a shot anyway?

I'm eating dates fairly often with little effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals