Dumb question about thyroid supplementation

Parsifal

So I've read recommandations about thyroid supplementation dosages and Barnes books that say that adults can supplement from 1 grain to 2 grain daily.
1 grain = 100mg for NDT and you know, the thyroid only makes 5mcg of T3/hour and taking more than that can be problematic and make your hyperthyroid and in 3mg of NDT there is something like 6.5mcg of T3 IIRC.
There is only 24 hours in a day. How is it possible to take 1 or 2 grain daily and stay in the safe range?

NDT really helps me but it can make me feel hyper everytime I'm taking more than 3mg in a row...

answersfound

1 grain = 60 mg

I'm not sure exactly how to answer your question, but 4 grains is total thyroid replacement. If you take 1 grain that's 10 mcg of T3 and 40 mcg of T4. I think RP advises taking no more than half a grain at a time, because that is similar to a physiological dose. So if you take 2 grains, you split it into 4 evenly spaced doses throughout the day.

OP
Parsifal

Parsifal

answersfound said:
post 110784 1 grain = 60 mg

I'm not sure exactly how to answer your question, but 4 grains is total thyroid replacement. If you take 1 grain that's 10 mcg of T3 and 40 mcg of T4. I think RP advises taking no more than half a grain at a time, because that is similar to a physiological dose. So if you take 2 grains, you split it into 4 evenly spaced doses throughout the day.
Hmmm interesting. But if there is 6.5mcg in 3mg of NDT then 1/2grain = 30mg = 65mcg of T3? While the body only produces 5mcg/hour? Isn't there a risk of hyperthyroidism?

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

Parsifal said:
post 110794
answersfound said:
post 110784 1 grain = 60 mg

Hmmm interesting. But if there is 6.5mcg in 3mg of NDT then 1/2grain = 30mg = 65mcg of T3? While the body only produces 5mcg/hour? Isn't there a risk of hyperthyroidism?

3 mg of NDT? That is an extremely tiny amount. 1 grain is 60 mg NDT. 1 grain contains 10 mcg of T3 and 40 mcg of T4, as I stated above. The body uses 4 mcg of T3 per hour, I believe. You can't just go hyperthyroid. Your body will produce RT3 which blocks cell receptors from receiving T3 if you take too much thyroid. This could actually make you more hypothyroid so that's why it's important you do not overshoot th dose. It's a very gradual process. Broda Barnes recommends you keep the starting dose for 2 months.

Agent207

1 grain = 60mg NDT = (40mcg T4 + 10mcg T3)
1/2 grain = 30mg NDT = (20mcg T4 + 5mcg T3)

lexis

In the last KMUD show Ray said that supplements are very poorly formulated.Perhaps thyroid surrogates are an alternative

answersfound

lexis said:
post 116056 In the last KMUD show Ray said that supplements are very poorly formulated.Perhaps thyroid surrogates are an alternative

Okay. He's just referring to the ones he is familiar with. Yes, armour is poorly formulated. But there are plenty of highly effective thyroid supplements that work perfectly fine. I could probably find 15-20.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals