Neuropathy? Looking for thoughts/ideas

Peachy

My brother is having some mysterious health issues. His right arm and leg lose functionality with moderate use. It’s not painful. He describes it as numb or seizing up.

He works on the computer and plays piano so if it were just his arm I’d think it might be a carpal tunnel type issue. But it also happens with his right leg after walking about two miles.

He also dealt with two week-long migraines over the last ten years which made him (for those weeks only) almost blind. Vision returned but has since been worse. He feels his vision/consciousness is collected on his left side.

Some context: The last few years have been very high stress. History of opioid use in teens/early 20s (he is now 40). Some continued addiction issues.

Any thoughts on what this might be and ways to improve? I suggested he focus on the basics but it’d help if he had some understanding of his situation and direction.

youngsinatra

I’d run some thyroid labs (TSH, free T4, free T3, reverse T3), serum AM cortisol, serum B1 or better transketolase test, serum B2 (as FAD) or EGRAC, serum folate and B12.

Jonk

I have recently been into PRI and I think there are some threads here on the forum. A guy named Neil Hallinan on Youtube is fantastic. Other than that most helpful things are whatever lowers sympathetic dominance, for me its mostly focusing on whatever helps my gut and a carb heavy diet.

Beatrix_

My SIL has battled with similar issues her whole adult life (now in her 40's) and after she started taking CoQ10 + Vit D back in 2018 her ailments have greatly diminished and only come back when she is pausing the supplements.

OP
Peachy

Peachy

I’d run some thyroid labs (TSH, free T4, free T3, reverse T3), serum AM cortisol, serum B1 or better transketolase test, serum B2 (as FAD) or EGRAC, serum folate and B12.

Good thought, thanks. We were starting to think about certain b vitamins.

OP
Peachy

Peachy

My SIL has battled with similar issues her whole adult life (now in her 40's) and after she started taking CoQ10 + Vit D back in 2018 her ailments have greatly diminished and only come back when she is pausing the supplements.

Was it happening on one side for her? Those are good supplement suggestions, thank you.

Beatrix_

Was it happening on one side for her? Those are good supplement suggestions, thank you.
She has neuropathy along her spine and blinding migraines with scintillating auras which never happen anymore when she is taking the supplements (she also takes curcumin together with those, but it might not be for everyone).

OP
Peachy

Peachy

She has neuropathy along her spine and blinding migraines with scintillating auras which never happen anymore when she is taking the supplements (she also takes curcumin together with those, but it might not be for everyone).

Sounds awful. I’m glad she found some relief! I’ll pass this along.

Beatrix_

Sounds awful. I’m glad she found some relief! I’ll pass this along.
Her husband also takes CoQ10 and reversed heart fibrosis associated with pre-diabetes (also reversed the pre-diabetes mostly - I don't know many details).

Low dose naltrexone is something to try for these conditions. I think they have to do with gut endotoxins often, and LDN seems very helpful.

OP
Peachy

Peachy

Her husband also takes CoQ10 and reversed heart fibrosis associated with pre-diabetes (also reversed the pre-diabetes mostly - I don't know many details).

Nice. Do you happen to know if they take it as ubiquinol?

OP
Peachy

Peachy

Low dose naltrexone is something to try for these conditions. I think they have to do with gut endotoxins often, and LDN seems very helpful.

Good point. From what I’ve read, LDN could be a good fit.

Beatrix_

Nice. Do you happen to know if they take it as ubiquinol?
They take Coenzime-Q10, not Ubiquinol. Some years ago I took CoQ10 myself, with good results in improving energy, but crashed after a month... I will give it another try soon. I found CoQ10 very effective and wasn't compelled to spend more to try Ubiquinol.

OP
Peachy

Peachy

They take Coenzime-Q10, not Ubiquinol. Some years ago I took CoQ10 myself, with good results in improving energy, but crashed after a month... I will give it another try soon. I found CoQ10 very effective and wasn't compelled to spend more to try Ubiquinol.

That’s good to know. Do you think it revved you too much?

LA

The following are notes I saved from about 2008 from another forum now defunct. I saved them just in case:
---Alpha lipoic acid should be considered an essential medication for every person with diabetes or pre-diabetes, since it has been shown to decrease progression of diabetic neuropathy, diabetic eye disease and diabetic kidney disease. In clinical trials in Germany, doses as high as 1200 mg were given, but I have seen better clinical responses to 100 mg a day (decreased neuropathic pain). A rare patient will get joint aches from higher doses, and for them the 50 mg dose, daily or every other day, may allow some of the benefits.

OP
Peachy

Peachy

The following are notes I saved from about 2008 from another forum now defunct. I saved them just in case:
---Alpha lipoic acid should be considered an essential medication for every person with diabetes or pre-diabetes, since it has been shown to decrease progression of diabetic neuropathy, diabetic eye disease and diabetic kidney disease. In clinical trials in Germany, doses as high as 1200 mg were given, but I have seen better clinical responses to 100 mg a day (decreased neuropathic pain). A rare patient will get joint aches from higher doses, and for them the 50 mg dose, daily or every other day, may allow some of the benefits.

Hmm, he should test his blood sugar. Our dad has been diabetic since he was in his 40s. Both are thin which makes diabetes slip off the radar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals