Need help with this diet

Patrick30

After I came across Ray Peat's articles on the internet, his ideas really intrigued me and I want to incorporate his principles into my lifestyle; however, there are many things that contrary to my beliefs about nutrition/ health / growth. First of all, I am 16 years old and 5 ft 7' . I haven't had my growth spurt and I think it would come soon (since late growth spurt runs into my family). I really want to grow taller ( my brother is 6 ft 2' so i want to be at least 6 ft). This is where my doubt comes in , if I follow his diet I think it would stunt my growth. The reason behind this is many of his concepts suppress growth hormone release, which is an important hormone responsible for bone growth such as eating sugary foods,especially at night. He said it would lower cortisol and other stress related hormones. Not only that, he's pretty much against exercise( HIIT), also an important factor for growth hormone release. So my question is... Is there any way that i could incorporate this diet to my goal of getting taller?

Mittir

I think one should not do anything that goes against their belief or understanding.
The core of RP's recommendation is to avoid toxic things like PUFA, X-ray, estrogen
in all forms including soy, legumes, certain beans and synthetic estrogenic found in
plastics and other things. In 1909 american consumed about 12 grams of PUFA
and now it is close to 35 grams and RP thinks excess PUFA is causing weight gain
and other diseases. Since, there is no scientific evidence that people need
more than a gram of PUFA daily, it would be reasonable to avoid PUFA as much
as possible. Many of us try to limit PUFA to 4 grams.

There are tons of scientific studies that have shown fruits having wide range of
health benefits. That should justify increasing fruit intake. We already know how
toxic gluten is. Just limiting PUFA and avoiding excess iron, you can easily follow
rest of dietary recommendation of USDA.

Brian

I'd say you are misunderstanding Peat's writing, which is very easy to do. He is not against reasonably intense exercise. He only mentions caution about it for people who are in very poor health with hypothyroid and hormone deficiency. That is probably not you I would guess.

Don't worry about growth hormone. The main point is that you shouldn't be starving yourself in a misguided attempt to raise it through the roof, because that is what it will do, but at a very high cost of causing your body to adapt to unreliable incoming nutrition, which at your age and in the long term is a very bad thing for building the foundation of health for the rest of your life.

If I were your age and in good health, my take away points from Peat would be to guzzle good quality milk ad libitum, down egg yolks everyday, drink fruit juices, prefer potatoes and white rice over other starches, have some liver 1-2 a week, prefer beef and lamb over other meats. Use coconut oil and butter as your only added fats. Avoid seed oil dressings and processed foods that use them as ingredients, but don't be so orthorexic that you completely reject food given to you that might contain them every once in awhile. Maybe consider supplementing some K2 Mk4 and magnesium.

No need to measure or worry about the finer details. Just follow your athletic interests to a reasonable intensity and mostly use the above foods to refuel to taste in as many meals as you feel like. It will definitely increase your growth potential in your final years of growth more than anything including trying to fast or eat low carb to spike growth hormone (that would be the dumbest thing you could do). But most of all it will give your body a really strong lean tissue foundation for the rest of your life if you combine it with a decent lifestyle of good amount of sleep, sun, and enjoyable movement.

I wish I would have known this at your age. I was way off at your age exploring vegetarianism and veganism as healthy possibilities.

tara

:welcome Patrick30

What they said. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals