Help For Rolandic (benign Childhood) Seizures, Please

Jacqueline

Dear Mr. Peat,

My ten year old has had 5 seizures this year...all occurring at night as he drifts off to sleep. They are grand mal stuff that lasts around 90 seconds. Scary! This week, for the first time, he had two within three days of each other, after not having any for 5 months. He wasn't dehydrated or tired, but he is growing so fast. I am thinking they could be a result of hormonal changes during his growth spurts. Does that make sense? I don't want to put him on meds so I would appreciate any advice you can offer. I was considering trying a low dose of melatonin but after just reading your section on melatonin lowering progesterone even more, that worries me. I found you when I searched for "treating seizures with progesterone". Many thanks in advance.

Dan W

Hi Jacqueline,
Welcome to the forum.

I moved your post here because the Email Advice Depository just contains copies of responses people have gotten from Peat, he doesn't actually participate in this site. However, I think the members here might have some suggestions.

paper_clips43

Here is my story.

I had epilepsy my whole life although I never knew it until I had my first grand mal seizure lasting 3 minutes when I was 18. All my seizures before that were closer to what you described is happening to your son right now. I would just be about to fall asleep and then suddenly jerk awake and I though this was normal until I had a Tonic Clonic or "Grand Mal" seizure at work shortly after my 18th birthday.

After two years of very intense Grand Mal seizures that left me so soar I couldn't walk for a day or eat anything cuz I shreded my tongue to bits with my teeth I finally stopped having them and then for two more years I would have mio-clonic jerks before fallings asleep then for two more years just headaches and now am happy and proud to say that I am 100% seizure free today at 24 years old with no headaches or anything seizure related at all.

I can't say exactly what cured them or if it was a combination of several things but the following is what I tried and feel that had a significant improvement. In order of most important in my humble opinion.

1. Raw fats. Lots of raw grass fed butter, raw gf cream, raw gf milk. raw coconut oil. I was eating 1 pound of raw grass fed butter per week when I first started healing.

2. CBD. it is a a cannbinoid in marijuana that does not produce the intoxicant effects like THC does. First I was just smoking the high CBD strains then I got a CBD tincture that had no THC in it and I noticed a tremendous healing from not smoking the actual weed and just using the medical tincture.

3. I wear and emerald around my neck every day since for the past 6 years and it may just be because I believe it to work but it does claim to have properties that heal people from seizures.

4. saying the mantra "I am eternal, joyous, and at peace." I got that from a book that says seizures are a results of emotional trama believing we are not worthy to live.

Those are the top four that I can think of off the top of my head. I wrote this very quickly although can answer any questions you may have. I just wanted you to know that there are people who have struggled with this very very scary and painful disorder that have cured themselves.

I read about ketosis and how it can prevent seizures although when I tried to go in it I almost died. Some people can stay in ketosis and some can't so its up to you if you wanna try. I personally found that staying at about 50-150 carbs a day was optimal and eating as much raw healthy fat as I could was the most beneficial by far. I never tried eating gelatin until I found this website a few months ago although I now consume it every day and am sure it is beneficial for calming the nervous system.

EDIT: I think more carbs than 150 can be beneficial.

paper_clips43

If the seizures get to be too bad, like mine were, I slept on the floor on my side with a towel in my mouth for almost a whole year because I would have multiple seizures throughout the night. Doctors said my case was very extreme though and they put me on multiple seizure medicines like Topomax and Delantin. I quit taking them after just 4 weeks because I felt like a zombie on them and knew this was no way to live. Living with the seizures was much much harder at first although I am so happy I chose the route I did. I am a totally different person these days with vibrant health and very calm and clear energy. I only struggle with my health problems when I stray away from my diet now and although I still have much to learn about other health issues I am extremely confidant in my ability to treat and heal epilepsy.

chelle86

Dear Mr. Peat,

My ten year old has had 5 seizures this year...all occurring at night as he drifts off to sleep. They are grand mal stuff that lasts around 90 seconds. Scary! This week, for the first time, he had two within three days of each other, after not having any for 5 months. He wasn't dehydrated or tired, but he is growing so fast. I am thinking they could be a result of hormonal changes during his growth spurts. Does that make sense? I don't want to put him on meds so I would appreciate any advice you can offer. I was considering trying a low dose of melatonin but after just reading your section on melatonin lowering progesterone even more, that worries me. I found you when I searched for "treating seizures with progesterone". Many thanks in advance.
Hi - I just came across your post from a long time ago, so just wanted to check in with you to see how your son is doing? My daughter's seizures have reversed since using progesterone (hormone related catamenial grand mals) and changing her diet. I pray he is doing well -

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals