Just starting Ray Peat inspired diet- Worries and Advice

OrangeJello

Hello, every I am new to this board and I wanted some advice. I found this diet through Danny Roddy and I have been experimenting with it for the past 2 months.

I am 26, so the situations goes, was mostly vegan for a while had an improvement in skin (specifically Rosacea like symptoms). Which is why I started on a health kick. Recently my genetic pattern hairloss has gotten worse and I am beyond frustrated about the science and what to do about it.

I've noticed some great changes since starting! Huge increase in libido, body temp up, working out less but looking more fit (I am a danceer so very active),no "itch", better sleep, I am growing a unibrow(?). I am still a little confused about the hair growth hormones and I am worried the increase in body hair and libido is having an adverse affect. I seem to be shedding a lot, alot! (maybe because of season change). I've added progesterone and red led light therapy.

My next consideration would be Desiccated Thyroid, but I am worried about messing with my hormones. I do not want to make this worse. Is their any advice people can offer? How do I know if I am shedding because of new growth or, just losing hair. Any advice about this subject as well.

Some of my blood levels from about 6 months ago-before peat
TSH -1.33
T4 free - 0.94
Testosterone - 380.84
Prolactin - 6.0
Cortisol - 11.0
DHEAs - 366
Luteinizing Hormone - 1.38
Estradiol - <20

My diet is pretty good, but a feeling a little limited for food options, Even more than veganism.
Have any men on this forum had significant changes in their hair with this diet, if so, What factors do you think had the most significant change for you? How long before you started to have changes in your hair?

Mittir

Welcome to the forum

I have seen big improvement in thickness and texture of hair when
i started eating liver regularly, in the beginning 4-8 oz of liver weekly
then switched to 1-2 oz of liver daily. I have noticed improvement in
hair and everything else whenever i added some new peatian recommendations.
Recently i had very good result with sugar cane juice but later had to
stop it due to possible goitrogenic effect. Prolactin is a major indicator of hair loss.
Your prolactin is in healthy range of 4-7 for male fertility.
I do not know for sure if 6 is high enough to cause hair loss.
Calcium and Vitamin A ( liver is a good source) help with lowering prolactin
and Vitamin A is needed to make protective hormones like progesterone.
If you do not want to play with thyroid hormone then eating chicken neck or
fish head soup regularly will supply the amount of thyroid hormone people
used to get from regular home cooked meals. If you provide a cronometer
description of your food intake then it would be easier for people to
see if there is anything missing in the diet. Alkaline minerals, especially calcium
intake with low phosphorus had been very beneficial.
You are missing the major thyroid test. total T3.
Your TSH is good but not in ideal range, which is less than 0.4.

OP
O

OrangeJello

Thank you. I tried to get total T3 but haven't found a doctor who will do it yet. I'm not so opposed to trying desiccated, but wanting some guidelines.

How do you prepare your liver? I can't stand the taste and texture.

My food intake is most likely low, just not able to eat the amount to the amount of activity I do. My weight is healthy, but I am very thin.
Eating mostly milk, cheese, Oj and fruits, gallatin, some steamed veggies, coconut oil, chocolate and carrots.

Mittir

RP recommends 3-6 servings of liver weekly. High Vitamin A and cysteine
content in liver can lower thyroid function. He also recommends drinking
coffee with liver to inhibit excess iron absorption. He thinks for an average
hypothyroid person 5000 IU of vitamin A is ok and 1 oz of raw beef liver provides that.

I follow this liver pate recipe. I use beef liver and honey instead of sugar.
I cut liver into very small pieces and soak it in water. It removes the bad taste.
It really does not taste like liver at all.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1014&p=14534#p14534

tara

OrangeJello said:
I've noticed some great changes since starting! Huge increase in libido, body temp up, working out less but looking more fit (I am a danceer so very active),no "itch", better sleep, I am growing a unibrow(?). I am still a little confused about the hair growth hormones and I am worried the increase in body hair and libido is having an adverse affect. I seem to be shedding a lot, alot! (maybe because of season change). I've added progesterone and red led light therapy.
I'm female, but pitching in anyway. Welcome.
I think most people here are likely to count high libido as a good sign.
I think hair can sometimes break off at weak points when it starts to grow more strongly. Not sure how to distinguish that from just losing hair, other than to see if more grows in afterwards.

OrangeJello said:
How do you prepare your liver? I can't stand the taste and texture.
Soak in milk, then very quickly fry/sear the outside only in coconut oil. Or make pate.

OrangeJello said:
My food intake is most likely low, just not able to eat the amount to the amount of activity I do. My weight is healthy, but I am very thin.
Eating mostly milk, cheese, Oj and fruits, gallatin, some steamed veggies, coconut oil, chocolate and carrots.
This could be a key part of the problem. Energy deficit will reduce metabolism and wear down the body. If you are not eating enough, it would be hard to know if you are at your healthy weight. There isn't a standard weight that is healthy for everyone - it varies from person to person.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OrangeJello, :yellohello

OP
O

OrangeJello

Thank everyone!

Where does everyone get most of their calories from? I love my fruit, but still have a mental block about getting my calories form mostly animal sources.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Potato protein is a Peat recommended non animal protein source. I've never had it but if you search the forum there's interesting discussions of people's experiences with it.

OP
O

OrangeJello

I eat potatoes. I really enjoy them.

It seems like the first few weeks I did peat my scalp and hair was improving, less shedding... But now I feel like its getting worse I am confused? Anyone??

Blossom

Forum Supporter
OrangeJello said:
I eat potatoes. I really enjoy them.

It seems like the first few weeks I did peat my scalp and hair was improving, less shedding... But now I feel like its getting worse I am confused? Anyone??
Some forum members have noticed a bit of hair shedding when the metabolism increases.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
If you search RPPPS on the forum there is information on potato protein soup.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals