Necessity Of Butyrate

narouz

Amazoniac said:
#3 I'm not sure if I understood you but it's not desirable, we have no choice. So the best approach would be to nourish yourself, work on immunity and eat some fermentable carbohydrates.

narouz said:
I believe the consumption of fermentable carbohydrates
to the end of nourishing the microbiome
is a PHD workpoint?
Please, I'm not carping!
I may very well end up agreeing with you.
But...it is not Peatian, is it?
Just trying to keep microbiome theories labeled correctly...

I did mean to return to this too.
I've been entertaining the non-Peatian notion
that it may be a good strategy
under certain conditions at any rate
to eat things like fermentable carbohydrates
(and maybe other non-Peatian stuff like fermented foods
and anti-yeast supps).

I say "under certain conditions."
For instance:
-after one has taken antibiotics
-maybe after charcoal
-and--very unPeatian--maybe not just "under certain conditions"

And then my specific hobbyhorse,
the appendix thing.
Especially after antibiotics are employed
it may be crucial for those without appendixes
to eat some fermentable carbohydrates to tactically cultivate good bacteria.
And maybe do other unPeatish stuff as well,
like intervene to knock down yeast by various means.

Amazoniac

Testing can be tricky because most of us have pathogens that are under control by the immune system. Sometimes just a bit of stress can trigger present infections, like prolonged exposure to cold, etc.
Other aspect that can be tricky is that some populations seem to benefit from strains that do harm in others, according to their diet and lifestyle.
So, there are many issues to consider if you decide to do a test, but if you are suspecting of infections, it can be a shortcut, like in Jennifer's case in this forum.
There are many people who are not feeling optimal no matter what they do, and the great thing about testing is that it can be a proof of sanity. Those same people go from doctor to doctor without being diagnosed properly, their relatives think they are crazy or over-sensitive. Getting a test can offer the classic: I told you so.
Plus the fact that the more you can narrow down the problems, the clearer they get.

To use antibiotics you must know first what you are targeting, because gobbling down them can be risky and very detrimental, especially if you don't have an appendix.
Foods known for their antibiotic properties work mainly for healthy people. Those who are ill usually need some extra aid.

But going back to the subject of this thread, to soothe the intestine the butyrate has to come from fermentation in my opinion..

narouz

Amazoniac said:
Testing can be tricky because most of us have pathogens that are under control by the immune system. Sometimes just a bit of stress can trigger present infections, like prolonged exposure to cold, etc.
Other aspect that can be tricky is that some populations seem to benefit from strains that do harm in others, according to their diet and lifestyle.
So, there are many issues to consider if you decide to do a test, but if you are suspecting of infections, it can be a shortcut, like in Jennifer's case in this forum.
There are many people who are not feeling optimal no matter what they do, and the great thing about testing is that it can be a proof of sanity. Those same people go from doctor to doctor without being diagnosed properly, their relatives think they are crazy or over-sensitive. Getting a test can offer the classic: I told you so.
Plus the fact that the more you can narrow down the problems, the clearer they get.

To use antibiotics you must know first what you are targeting, because gobbling down them can be risky and very detrimental, especially if you don't have an appendix.
Foods known for their antibiotic properties work mainly for healthy people. Those who are ill usually need some extra aid.

But going back to the subject of this thread, to soothe the intestine the butyrate has to come from fermentation in my opinion..

This sounds very reasonable to me, Amazoniac.
My difficulties with Peat on this topic of the microbiome are generally
that he doesn't have much to say about it:
-any special advice after pharma antibiotics? Nope.
-any interest in testing with chronic gut issue? Nope
-Yeast any problem? Nope, nothing a few dabs of sulphur won't cure.
-Lack of appendix any special challenge? Nope
-What if one feels like crap and metabolism tanks after Peatish antibiotics? Not much guidance I know of.
-Any need to eat fermented foods? Nope

Amazoniac said:
! :eek:

narouz

I'll check that out--thanks Ama.
For me, the suspected issue is not resistance.

Parsifal

I have a special interest in the topic
so being picky on a few points...

1."...the healthiest people don't have bacteria..."
I know it's Dr. Peat, but!
I'd like more detailed proof of this.
In any event
it is, I would think, a simplification or overstatement.
I mean, in the experiment often referred to by Peat
with the sterile-gut mice
even Peat said they could not live in that state outside the laboratory,
and...
Why not ask him for proof in an e-mail?

peep

I stopped my Ulcerative Colitis flare up within 2 days with 30g of Inulin.
There was really bad flatulence at first.

In UC Butyrate production is 80% reduced. And Hydrogene peroxide production is way to high. (ROS production in general bc of increased Mitochondrial fission)
Hydrogen peroxide destroys bacteria cells.(desinfectant) Therefore lowering the homeostasis in gut bacteria /butyrate production.

I think with increasing soluble fiber (inulin) intake I increased bacteria that produce butyrate.

@Amazoniac

There are many facts about Butyrate that UC sufferer miss.

-Butyrate is a major metabolite in colonic lumen arising from bacterial fermentation of dietary fiber and has been shown to be a critical mediator of the colonic inflammatory response.
-produce vitamins, antioxidants, polyphenols, and conjugated linoleic acids
-preservation of gut barrier functions
-protection against pathogens by producing bacteriocins
-resistance to oxidative stress
-inhibition of nuclear factor κB
-regulating IL-1b, TNF-α, IL-2, IL-6, IL-8, IL-12, iNOS, COX-2 (Basically everything UC medications trying to block)

Amazoniac

I stopped my Ulcerative Colitis flare up within 2 days with 30g of Inulin.
There was really bad flatulence at first.

In UC Butyrate production is 80% reduced. And Hydrogene peroxide production is way to high. (ROS production in general bc of increased Mitochondrial fission)
Hydrogen peroxide destroys bacteria cells.(desinfectant) Therefore lowering the homeostasis in gut bacteria /butyrate production.

I think with increasing soluble fiber (inulin) intake I increased bacteria that produce butyrate.

@Amazoniac

There are many facts about Butyrate that UC sufferer miss.

-Butyrate is a major metabolite in colonic lumen arising from bacterial fermentation of dietary fiber and has been shown to be a critical mediator of the colonic inflammatory response.
-produce vitamins, antioxidants, polyphenols, and conjugated linoleic acids
-preservation of gut barrier functions
-protection against pathogens by producing bacteriocins
-resistance to oxidative stress
-inhibition of nuclear factor κB
-regulating IL-1b, TNF-α, IL-2, IL-6, IL-8, IL-12, iNOS, COX-2 (Basically everything UC medications trying to block)
Thank you for sharing!

kayumochi

I have mentioned the success in healing a long-standing gut issue with butyrate-producing unmodified potato starch but have been slammed on this board for it, but there it is ...