Mineral salts of Butyrate and Propionate

LeeLemonoil

Thread to collect studies, ideas and experiences for / with said salts.

Magnesium, Potassium and Cacium as important minerals that are supplemented by many.

Butyrate and Propionate show interesting heath effects on their own, the salts are often widely used in food industry and cheap, but not so easily obtained.
They are short chain saturated fatty acids that ae also produced by gut bacteria an have a plethora of physiological actions.

Alomongerpete

Thread to collect studies, ideas and experiences for / with said salts.

Magnesium, Potassium and Cacium as important minerals that are supplemented by many.

Butyrate and Propionate show interesting heath effects on their own, the salts are often widely used in food industry and cheap, but not so easily obtained.
They are short chain saturated fatty acids that ae also produced by gut bacteria an have a plethora of physiological actions.
Butyrate supplementation has been life changing for me. USA source of the supp I take is here; Tributyrin-X™ - Healthy Gut Company

Alomongerpete

Can you elaborate on what this has done for you? My digestion is a mess
Sure; I have a lot more mental clarity and energy taking this butyrate. Immune system seems stronger. Everything feels more fortified and balanced. Fungal overgrowth doesn't get out of control. Probiotics seem to colonise better.

Ben.

My understanding seems to be that sodium or calcium butyrate seem to be safer (?). This 1930s study of tributyrin sounds awful:

THE METABOLISM OF TRIBUTYRIN

Butyric acid, if present in natural fats, exists not as tributyrin but rather as mixed glycerides. If tributyrin could be fed in quantity, its effect on depot fat and on the excretion of acetone bodies would give information of value. But tributyrin is intensely bitter and decidedly toxic. Animals will not willingly eat large amounts of it. Eckstein (1) found that butyric acid could be fed to rats in the form of sodium butyrate up to 19 per cent of the ration. He found thebutyryl radical was not deposited in the fat tissues. Our work confirms this. We have been able to administer tributyrin in three ways:
(1) to chickens by pipette, (2) to rats as a part of a mixed ration up to about 9 per cent, and (3) to rats subcutaneously or intraperitoneally.

Tributyrin was toxic to chickens. Lesions were found in the proventriculus and in the gizzard. The intestinal walls were inflamed and in some cases the mucosa apparently had been destroyed in the fore part of the small intestine. There was some hemorrhage, blood being detected in the feces. In every case the gallbladder was greatly enlarged and often bile had been regurgiatated into the gizzard. Table I gives the results of a set of digestibility determinations. It is seen that tributyrin is digested by chickens. The digestibility falls off if the experiment is repeated with the same chicken. This is probably due to the toxic effect of tributyrin and to damage to the digestive organs.

Because of the toxic effect of the tributyrin it was impossible to feed large quantities of it. In order to give rats large quantities of tributyrin it was injected subcutaneously and intraperitoneally...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals