Must calcium consumption be increased with metabolism?

DrJ

Lately, I've been getting my metabolism up such that I can keep my temperature in the 99.0-99.4F range for at least a few hours a day. During that time, I feel pretty amazing :). Other than those times, my temp is in the 98.1-98.8F range, which has higher than my previously reported low-bound 97.5F. Mostly, I have been: eating more gelatin, more often; increasing caffeine; decreasing starches while increasing sugars.

But I have been getting this sort of "crampy" feeling in the back of my legs in the hamstrings, especially near the top where they meet the glutes. And it's completely new to me. In looking around the forums at similar things, a lot of people seem to think it's a calcium issue. I have not increased my calcium intake since I've started to consistently hit this new "higher range" of metabolism. Before, I had no crampy feeling.

So, anyone have experience with this? Must calcium be increased as metabolism increases? Any sort of target amount of calcium I should go for? Thanks!

Giraffe

Could it be that you need a little extra magnesium for a while? Improved thyroid function makes your cell able to use magnesium and take it up.

How much calcium and magnesium are you getting?

Also see post in related topic post 84660.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
DrJ

DrJ

Giraffe said:
post 116546 Could it be that you need a little extra magnesium for a while? Improved thyroid function makes your cell able to use magnesium and take it up.

How much calcium and magnesium are you getting?

Also see post in related topic post 84660.

Ah, good thought! I should have addressed this, since it was my first thought, but I think my magnesium consumption is good (?): 500-600mg/day. Also, when I got the first crampy feeling, I immediately thought magnesium, so I soaked in a bath solution of 1lb epsom salt, 0.5lb baking soda/sodium bicarb, but did not notice significant improvement after a 30 minute soak. But it could be I need more.

Calcium, I get 1800mg/day give or take 10%.

I have been salting my cheese sticks very liberally, so I think I am getting enough salt. I will try more magnesium. Maybe I am wasting it somehow. But would love hear if my magnesium and calcium consumption is at least in the right ballpark.

OP
DrJ

DrJ

mujuro said:
post 116577 Are you in the seated position a lot?

Yes, actually, at least the last 2 weeks. I have a standing desk usually, but the last 2 weeks I have been working at home seated. Maybe could be a problem...

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Very possible. If one is accustomed to standing and then goes to sitting for long hours, the flexion of the knee shortens the hamstring and makes it tight. Additionally, the glutes and hip flexors get tight -- and thus weak -- as well. It just seems slim to me that an electrolyte issue would present itself in a single, isolated location. Find a massage therapist (NOT a physio) and have them work on you.

tara

Your calcium and magnesium look like ball park reasonable to me - you could try varying them a bit and see if it helps, but they don't look crazily low to me.

Good use of the minerals also requires adequate supply of vitamins, too. Eg good calcium metabolism, in addition to magnessium, seems to require adequate A, D, K. Good blood sugar metabolism requires a number of nutrients inclding B-vits. You could check with cronometer and see if you have any gaps in other micronutrients. I think many micronutrient recommendations assume a relatively low calorie intake, eg round 2000 cals. So if your metabolism is up to where you are eating twice this, you may need twice as much of the micronutrients too. ANd the standard recommendations are estmates of minimums to keep the average person from obvious deficiency. Sometimes people need a bit more of some things, esp if they've previously been deficient.

I guess you've tried basic stretches on our hamstrings?

OP
DrJ

DrJ

mujuro said:
post 116658 Very possible. If one is accustomed to standing and then goes to sitting for long hours, the flexion of the knee shortens the hamstring and makes it tight. Additionally, the glutes and hip flexors get tight -- and thus weak -- as well. It just seems slim to me that an electrolyte issue would present itself in a single, isolated location. Find a massage therapist (NOT a physio) and have them work on you.

tara said:
post 116665
I guess you've tried basic stretches on our hamstrings?

Many thanks for your feedback! It's gone away, so I'm not completely sure the cause. I suspect mujoro is probably right, that a change in my routine from standing most of the day to sitting is a big problem, and good point on the localized nature of it. I do stretch every day, but in case that is not enough, I've been taking more short walks to try and compensate all the sitting. I also upped my calcium to 2000mg. Vitamin-wise, I think I'm okay at 24,000IU Vit A, 5,000IU Vit. D3, and 500mcg Vit. K (mixed MK-4 and MK-7) as supplements, plus whatever I get in dairy products. I should probably look at Vit. B consumption since I don't monitor it other than to take 500mg niacinamide/day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals