Morning Fatigue

M

member 2106

When I was doing Paleo with very low sugar, I often felt fantastic in the morning. I'd wake up with a totally clear head, and have amazing energy throughout the day. If I slipped up and had some refined sugar, especially at night, I'd feel "hung over" in the morning. So it was probably something to do with the sugar.

Since changing my diet according to Peat's findings, I've felt better in some ways (particularly my bowel is much less irritated, and my circulation and body temp seems better) -- but I've been feeling rough in the morning. You know, zombie-like. It's not nice. I miss feeling like I could climb a mountain every time I woke up. Now it's not until I've started eating that I feel okay.

Is there any way, do you think, that I can get this again with all the sugar I'm eating? Or is it just something I have to sacrifice? I'm not on any supplements, nor do I want to take any. And my sugar intake is definitely increased, but relatively is not that huge.

Do you think it might have been high cortisol that had me feeling so awake when I was low sugar?

jyb

Did you decrease your fat intake on your new diet? I find it's important to have enough calories and in particular fat is helpful to keep hunger at bay during the night. I usually have ice cream before bed, and I don't avoid fat during the day either.

Mittir

Did you have good quality sleep on low sugar paleo? Was it low carb
paleo or low sugar paleo? I did 2-3 weeks of low carb/low sugar paleo
had little sleep but felt great, feeling clear headed and high.
But, eventually sleep got worse and had to quit.
RP has talked about cortisol high from low carb diet.
Cortisol is anti-inflammatory and people feel this kind of high
during fasting too. It would be easier for people to underatnd
what is happening if you can post a detail description of your
paleo diet and current diet. Starch also increases cortisol
by increasing blood sugar and insulin. RP thinks sugar suppresses cortisol.

OP
M

member 2106

My fat intake has not significantly decreased.

It might be an adjustment period - I only started this a week ago, and so it will probably take a while to get used to increased carbs/fructose. Or it might be that I should be favouring fruit over ice cream and sugar in coffee, etc.

Did you also notice a decrease in bad dreams?

OP
M

member 2106

Can't say I've noticed yet, but that would make sense with the reduced stress and all. My bowels seem to be very happy already.

mt_dreams

waldenpond said:
It might be an adjustment period - I only started this a week ago, and so it will probably take a while to get used to increased carbs/fructose. Or it might be that I should be favouring fruit over ice cream and sugar in coffee, etc.

There's always going to be an adjustment anytime you change your diet. I would only get concerned if you notice negative changes that are more 'major'. When you stop eating PUFA's, it's common for your body to express itself strangely as it adjusts.

Almost no one gets the diet right on the first try. Adjusting the diet is to be expected. Peat approved fruit will work great if it's of good quality, but sucrose & lactose will work just as well as long as you are hitting your nutritional targets (and even more so if you are somewhat active).

waldenpond said:
My fat intake has not significantly decreased.
How many calories were you getting on Paleo? Since you have not changed your fat calorie intake, does that mean you are now taking in 1500+ calories from the sugar? I was eating 2000+ calories in fat when eating paleo, whereas now I consume 900 give or take, as sugar now takes up more than half may calories.

OP
M

member 2106

I felt a bit better this morning!

I simply wasn't getting enough calories on Paleo, and the continual hunger was not agreeing with me one bit. My body is clearly happy at the increase of calories and sugar. The volume of liquid doesn't seem to be a problem either - if I'm not mistaken, it's sorting out my digestive issues. Still, I'm probably not eating enough - when I went to bed last night I was hungry, could feel my cortisol increasing, and stuffed my face with some food. Definitely not good to go to bed hungry.

The only thing left is getting rid of the white coating in my tongue/terrible morning breath - I hope that will eventually sort itself out as my health improves - and the occasional cold feet.

Of course starving with no PUFA in your tissues will be better than the other case, but I want to point out that cortisol highs are not something which fits into this conceptual framework. Yes you will always have to have breakfast to have a good day and yes waking up "ready" will always be a source of suspicion.

Durey

waldenpond said:
The only thing left is getting rid of the white coating in my tongue/terrible morning breath - I hope that will eventually sort itself out as my health improves - and the occasional cold feet.

I find that activated charcoal gets rid of the white coating on my tongue. I know it doesn't tackle the cause of the problem but it was a pleasant side effect to see my tongue pink again after I've had a coated tongue for ages. I take one teaspoon of the AC in the evening, I swish and swallow but I don't rinse out my mouth afterwards and leave the remaining AC in there overnight.

Durey said:
waldenpond said:

I find that activated charcoal gets rid of the white coating on my tongue. I know it doesn't tackle the cause of the problem but it was a pleasant side effect to see my tongue pink again after I've had a coated tongue for ages. I take one teaspoon of the AC in the evening, I swish and swallow but I don't rinse out my mouth afterwards and leave the remaining AC in there overnight.

Just brush your tongue with it, immediate effect.

GreekDemiGod

Bump. I too am dealing with morning fatigue, feeling like a zombie. I think my cortisol is low in the morning and high in the evening. I feel better as the day progresses, but in the first part of the day I feel a lot worse.

Cirion

Waking up is the part of the day that exposes your metabolism for what it really is.

If you feel like a zombie waking up it is because of low body temp.

This is why I pretty much only use waking body temps as metrics for progress now as it is far more reliable for tracking metabolic rate progress than say mid afternoon temperatures (although obviously these should be 98.6F+ also).

Euthyroid waking temps would be 98.4F measured orally or 97.8+f measured armpit., and you'll notice this also corresponds to feeling better rested.

Cirion

@Cirion My Temps are higher in the evenings and before bed (98+), that's when I feel better.

Yea most peoples' temps are higher in the evenings and as such, most people find they feel better later in the day. This is one reason why it is very common for people to become so called "night owls". Conversely, most people have their lowest body temps in the morning, which is why I say the true test of the metabolic rate is the morning waking temperature. Anyone can get to 98.4F+ pretty easily by evening, but only those with the best metabolic rate will achieve 98.4F+ waking temps.

Arnold Grape

Try getting some juice sips in right off in the morning and then some salt: you need to replete. I’ve never had a horrible time waking, but I tend to eat something and then drink a lot of coffee. How can three cups of Cafe Bustelo *not* make you feel like taking on the world?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals