How Do You Feel When You Wake Up?

M

metabolizm

How do you feel when you wake up in the morning?

How do you think you should feel when you wake up?

What factors do you think are influencing this, other than poor quality sleep?

Note: in my low carb days, I often woke up feeling alert and refreshed, but it was suggested to me that this was normal when you run on stress hormones, and unfortunately that insight was borne out in other ways. But I do miss that feeling of being able to spring out of bed. Nowadays, I tend to feel groggy, and it takes me a while to get going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Irenaeus

How do you feel when you wake up in the morning?

How do you think you should feel when you wake up?

What factors do you think are influencing this, other than poor quality sleep?

Note: in my low carb days, I often woke up feeling alert and refreshed, but it was suggested to me that this was normal when you run on stress hormones, and unfortunately that insight was borne out in other ways. But I do miss that feeling of being able to spring out of bed. Nowadays, I tend to feel groggy, and it takes me a while to get going.
I find that mouth taping helps me to get a good night's sleep.

TheSir

I remember one distinct time in my life that I woke up full of energy and optimism. Usually I wake up groggy and unmotivated. It takes an hour or two to really wake up.

it was suggested to me that this was normal when you run on stress hormones
Were your extremities warm, pulse lowish and temperature high? If so, it's unlikely to be stress hormones.

Mostly garbage. Especially during the week. Over the weekend when I can sleep in, slightly better.

Ironically inhibiting estrogen or increasing androgens too much makes my sleep unbearably bad, but I think that's just a PFS thing.

I haven't found many things that help so I think my poor sleep is mostly hormonal.

Diokine

Personally waking up feeling ready to engage and drive towards improvement is very important. I think cultivation of desire can be key. What do you want? If you haven't thought about it, think about it. Ask how to get it. This is something I wrote in my journal recently.

What was the thing that caused you to wake up in the morning feeling grateful and excited to work? There was a degree of freshness. How can we keep things fresh? Become more sensitive to change, and continue in gratitude. It was also a degree of satisfaction. Things are going right. As I think about it now, it was a more complete understanding and sense of what I was working towards – the bigger picture. You’re not practicing piano for the sake of piano, you’re practicing it because it helps increase your appreciation of music in general and is fun. This sense of the bigger picture created a space inside of me that could either result in anxiety (which feels like contributions from considering too much, leading to feelings of ineffectiveness, i.e., nothing ever changes) or energy (generated by recognition of progress.) So this feeling seems closely related to my capacity to hold an image of the piece of life I’m hoping and working for, and the generation of a drive in my solar plexus to engage that work.